Off My Chest

Off My Chest

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jul 11

Originally posted by 667joe
But then he would ask how the maker got here and come to the conclusion that if the maker was always here, it is just as possible that the universe has always been here, or, to simplify it, if the maker came from nothing, it is just as likely the universe came from nothing. In either case, a maker is not necessary.
Obviously, you are not a genius.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jul 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
God is the Alpha and the Omega. God is spirit, not life. Life is created (usually through the tool of evolution -- another system of laws requiring a creator, just like the Big Bang and the accompanying physical laws governing our universe), and is therefore less than the Creator.

I also thought circular reasoning was long ago proven ineffective as an argument tool.
You are beginning to act like you have some common sense. But I still
don't think my creationist views and the opinion that Atheism is a religion
is bizarre, especially since there are a lot of people that believe the same
way.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jul 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
You are beginning to act like you have some common sense. But I still
don't think my creationist views and the opinion that Atheism is a religion
is bizarre, especially since there are a lot of people that believe the same
way.
Long ago, there were a lot of people who also believed the bizarre notion that the world was flat. Some still exist today, in fact. Before that, people believed the bizarre notion that the Sun revolved around the Earth. People were put to death for going against this majority opinion.

I am firmly against the idea that God works by waving a magic wand, as magicians do today. His tools are the natural physical laws of the universe we live in. Of course He COULD work by waving a magic wand and POOF, things happen. But this precludes the necessity of having FAITH in God. Faith disappears when you see the proof before your eyes. God works in MYSTERIOUS ways, not OBVIOUS ways, and this is as true today as ever.

Just to be clear to you (if such is possible), I am speaking of Creationism as a bizarre opinion and (for the third time, now) that your other opinion that "atheism is a religion" is valid, in my opinion.

Validating your ideas by pointing out that a lot of people share your view is disturbing, especially considering that, during the coming Tribulation, many will take the Mark of the Beast, sealing their fate, and will try to persuade Christians to do the same. I hope you don't become like sheep and follow the crowd when that time comes.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jul 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Well that sounds like a good thing then. Your own bible says blessed are the children, so Jesus must love atheists.
Are you saying atheists are all children?

Well, I guess I can buy that, given what I've seen here.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jul 11
1 edit

Long ago, there were a lot of people who also believed the bizarre notion that the world was flat. Some still exist today, in fact. Before that, people believed the bizarre notion that the Sun revolved around the Earth. People were put to death for going against this majority opinion.

I am firmly against the idea that God works by waving a magic wand, o do the same. I hope you don't become like sheep and follow the crowd when that time comes.
I believe God started off everything with putting His laws in place at the
same time He created the heavens and the earth. He then prepared
earth for life and created plants, then animals in the sea, and then the birds
and land animals. Finally, He made mankind in His likeness to be able to
create and make new things and to care after what He had made on the
earth. But man has decided to do his own thing and, for the most part,
ignore the existence of God. Inspite of all the new proof of God's existence,
most men refuse to acknowledge it. Man insists on teaching atheism in
school through the disguise of evolution. So my bizarre notion is that I believe
in the words of the Holy Bible and that Jesus the Christ is our great God
and Savior that made it all happen. I believe those bizarre stories about
Jesus turning water into wine, healing the sick, and returning the dead to
life. I am not aware that He used a magic wand or if He was a magician.
But since I believe He actually raised Himself from the grave and it was
not just another magic trick, I believe He can also raise me from the grave.
It may sound bizarre, but I still believe it. I make no attempt to force you
or anyone else to believe the same way. I am only announcing the good
news and believe our children should be made aware of it equally as much
as they are made aware of the atheist propaganda in the schools.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 11

Are you saying atheists are all children?

Well, I guess I can buy that, given what I've seen here.
I was just using loopy logic in an attempt at irony, using the same level as he did. It was a lame attempt at humor.

Maryland

Moves
14 Jul 11

I believe God started off everything with putting His laws in place at the
same time He created the heavens and the earth. He then prepared
earth for life and created plants, then animals in the sea, and then the birds
and land animals. Finally, He made mankind in His likeness to be able to
create and make new things and to care after what He had made ...[text shortened]... e aware of it equally as much
as they are made aware of the atheist propaganda in the schools.
But how did god get here?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jul 11

But how did god get here?
When I see Him I will ask Him.

Maryland

Moves
14 Jul 11

When I see Him I will ask Him.
You know god made everything, but you don't know how he got here. Amazing!🙄

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jul 11

You know god made everything, but you don't know how he got here. Amazing!🙄
At least I know something more than you do. 😏

Maryland

Moves
15 Jul 11

At least I know something more than you do. 😏
Really? Have you had a college biology class? How about a genetics or physics? I suppose you know more than Thomas Edison, Bill Gates, Abraham Lincoln, Watson and Crick, Jody Foster, Carl Sagan, all atheists. Are you a Dr. Pangloss? More likely you are similar to Thwackem and Square.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Jul 11

Really? Have you had a college biology class? How about a genetics or physics? I suppose you know more than Thomas Edison, Bill Gates, Abraham Lincoln, Watson and Crick, Jody Foster, Carl Sagan, all atheists. Are you a Dr. Pangloss? More likely you are similar to Thwackem and Square.
I didn't include everything in that something, so don't be so quick to get
offended.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Jul 11

As an atheist, I generally avoid going into churches. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable such as for weddings and funerals. Every time I go , though, I leave with an unclean feeling. This is because I think of all the lies and untruths, all of the bloodshed, the torturing of innocent (witches and unbelievers),the anti gay propaganda, child molestation, ...[text shortened]... olic), the blocking of stem cell research, etc. etc.

I am glad to get this off my chest!
Now if you could just get it off your mind you might get past your stereotypical biases and find the real meaning of faith.

Maryland

Moves
15 Jul 11

Originally posted by josephw
Now if you could just get it off your mind you might get past your stereotypical biases and find the real meaning of faith.
What is the real meaning of faith?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Jul 11

What is the real meaning of faith?
Good question joe. I don't mean that condescendingly either.

The Bible says that "...faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". The question now is what does that mean?

My experience tells me that the correct meaning of any particular verse in the Bible is found in it's application. One needs to dissect the verse. What substance? What things hoped for? What things not seen? How is faith evidence for things not seen?

As one makes application of faith, experience with faith grows, and knowledge is increased and subsequently wisdom unfolds itself in one's mind. You've heard the expression "out of the mouth of babes". It's so simple a child can comprehend it. But it isn't simplistic. Faith is the bedrock of truth. The door to eternity. Love is the object of faith. Without faith one cannot know love(God).

Blind faith is an illusion. True faith is understanding and wisdom, and the path to wholeness of mind.