1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 22:162 edits
    Hey Dasa, this is from "Oceans of Nectar" by Swami B.R. Sridhara

"The true critic is a generous judge, devoid of prejudices and party spirit. Party spirit, that great enemy of truth, will always baffle the attempt of the enquirer and will make him believe that Absolute Truth is nowhere except in his old religous book."

What do you make of this? (This is Hare Krsna lterature)

edit: oops, I did it again. Where's the "alert moderator" button?

Wrong forum,sorry
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 23:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    edit: oops, I did it again.
    I made you believe we're more than just friends...
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 00:52
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I made you believe we're more than just friends...
    Who? me and you?
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 09:38
    Hey Dasa, this is from "Oceans of Nectar" by Swami B.R. Sridhara

"The true critic is a generous judge, devoid of prejudices and party spirit. Party spirit, that great enemy of truth, will always baffle the attempt of the enquirer and will make him believe that Absolute Truth is nowhere except in his old religous book."

What do you make of this? ...[text shortened]...
    edit: oops, I did it again. Where's the "alert moderator" button?

Wrong forum,sorry
    Thousands of years ago people had excellent memories and there were no old religious books.

A few thousand years ago the Vedic knowledge was put into book form for the benefit of mankind and it is with us today.

If you think knowledge in a book is suspect - then we might as well throw out all our books in our education system - with its thousands of books.

The thing is there are books with speculation and fabrication - and there are books with true knowledge.

An honest and pure heart shall determine which is which.

The quote you posted may not be from the Hare Krsna Veda base and you would have to show me where it was and I can look it up myself.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 09:421 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Thousands of years ago people had excellent memories and there were no old religious books.

A few thousand years ago the Vedic knowledge was put into book form for the benefit of mankind and it is with us today.

If you think knowledge in a book is suspect - then we might as well throw out all our books in our education system - with its thousands of books ...[text shortened]... the Hare Krsna Veda base and you would have to show me where it was and I can look it up myself.
    It's from a small rectangular blue book distributed by devotees along with other literature ,"Ocean Of Nectar". It is only very short, but it does have a section on the inportance of chanting Krsna, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, do you cling to your knowledge form books or do you have direct insight into the Divine? (A yes or no is fine hre)
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 17:54
    It's from a small rectangular blue book distributed by devotees along with other literature ,"Ocean Of Nectar". It is only very short, but it does have a section on the inportance of chanting Krsna, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, do you cling to your knowledge form books or do you have direct insight into the Divine? (A yes or no is fine hre)
    Lets say there is someone who has knowledge of the divine.

Lets call that person Vyasadeva.

If you spoke to that person he would present truth to you.

If he wrote the truth down and you read that truth - you still would be receiving truth.

Why are you suspect of truth in written form?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 20:251 edit
    Lets say there is someone who has knowledge of the divine.

Lets call that person Vyasadeva.

If you spoke to that person he would present truth to you.

If he wrote the truth down and you read that truth - you still would be receiving truth.

Why are you suspect of truth in written form?
    I am very suspect of truth in the written form because it can easily be manipulated. This is not possible with direct experience like telepathy.
    Or just meditation.

It just seems as if you sometimes cling to your own religous books, rather than seeing the spirit of god inside everyone and everything (or something like that)

At one time I had to burn a very nice buddhist book(with lovely pics too) just to prove a point to my then girlie that I was my own boss and that I was not just quoting stuff from a book - I was having spirtual experiences as well that told me NOT to rely on books.
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 21:48
    I am very suspect of truth in the written form because it can easily be manipulated. This is not possible with direct experience like telepathy.
    Or just meditation.

It just seems as if you sometimes cling to your own religous books, rather than seeing the spirit of god inside everyone and everything (or something like that)

At one time I had to ...[text shortened]... stuff from a book - I was having spirtual experiences as well that told me NOT to rely on books.
    Everything you know has come from a book.

A history book, maths book, cooking book.

If you are told 2+2 is 4........then what is the difference if you read 2+2 is 4 in a book............. there's no difference.

Spirituality is no different.

You jut have to get the right book.

The Vedas are that right book.

Meditation will get you no where - its a bluff.

You can meditate your whole life and be in the same place when you die -- as where you began.

Unless you meditate on the Super Soul in the heart (the Paramatma)

And you get the information about the Paramatma from the Veda.

Where back to the book.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 21:551 edit
    Everything you know has come from a book.

A history book, maths book, cooking book.

If you are told 2+2 is 4........then what is the difference if you read 2+2 is 4 in a book............. there's no difference.

Spirituality is no different.

You jut have to get the right book.

The Vedas are that right book.

Meditation will get you no where - it ...[text shortened]... a)

And you get the information about the Paramatma from the Veda.

Where back to the book.
    Well not me. My life direction has changed (irreversibly it seems) due to direct experience, not books. Yes literature has given me a background and frame of reference, as do other intelligent people, but ultimately it has been my own direct experience that has "made" me who I am.

"Meditation will get you no where - it's a bluff".

I agree that we can meditate in the "wrong" way, but still, the answer to the greatest koans will not be answered from any books. To meditate or say "I dont know" is a perfectly valid way to move forward without adding furthur confusion to your life,(when faced with answering a koan).

edit: for me, all of life is a koanπŸ™‚
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 22:15
    Or just meditation.

At one time I had to ...[text shortened]... stuff from a book - I was having spirtual experiences as well that told me NOT to rely on books.
    Are you sure the spirtual experiences were not from the father of lies?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 22:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Are you sure the spirtual experiences were not from the father of lies?
    Yep.
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 22:22
    Well not me. My life direction has changed (irreversibly it seems) due to direct experience, not books. Yes literature has given me a background and frame of reference, as do other intelligent people, but ultimately it has been my own direct experience that has "made" me who I am.

"Meditation will get you no where - it's a bluff".

I agree that ...[text shortened]... your life,(when faced with answering a koan).

edit: for me, all of life is a koanπŸ™‚
    Mediation can have its merits.

Like becoming introspective about your existence.

And when you achieve this introspective point - you then go and embrace true knowledge in the Vedanta Sutra.

To meditate and achieve some peace and calmness is ok - but then you have to at some point get true knowledge so you can advance spiritually towards developing love for God.

Did you know when I have discussions with people about meditation they never discuss God.........its all about them.

I want this - I can achieve that - I know this - I like this - I experienced that and I, I, I , I and I.

No mention of God.

No interest of God.

No care for God.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 22:29
    Mediation can have its merits.

Like becoming introspective about your existence.

And when you achieve this introspective point - you then go and embrace true knowledge in the Vedanta Sutra.

To meditate and achieve some peace and calmness is ok - but then you have to at some point get true knowledge so you can advance spiritually towards developing love ...[text shortened]... ced that and I, I, I , I and I.

No mention of God.

No interest of God.

No care for God.
    I try to talk to people using their own belief systems and words. The words matter not, the message is important.

I dont talk of "God" directly because I have yet to come across a general consensus here on rhp about what "God" is. Most seem to be in the wrongballpark to start with(a dualist interpretation of "God" ).

The "I" has a place in the world as does the word "God" and "science",etc.
    We need all these things,and more meditation , to evolve spiritually.

The false things will come to an end. "God" has been in control all along. (How do you like that?πŸ™‚ )
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 05:39
    I try to talk to people using their own belief systems and words. The words matter not, the message is important.

I dont talk of "God" directly because I have yet to come across a general consensus here on rhp about what "God" is. Most seem to be in the wrongballpark to start with(a dualist interpretation of "God" ).

The "I" has a place in the wor ...[text shortened]... ll come to an end. "God" has been in control all along. (How do you like that?πŸ™‚ )
    Ultimately meditation is successful - if it brings one to the platform of love of God.

So mediation on Krishna is perfect.........the best meditation.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 06:19
    Ultimately meditation is successful - if it brings one to the platform of love of God.

So mediation on Krishna is perfect.........the best meditation.
    So is chanting - if it brings one to the platform ...
    (and bhakti yoga πŸ™‚ )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree