1. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 19:30
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Withold funds, of course. But for donations to the Church, it would be impossible for such institutionalized atrocities to persist.
    LOL

But of course. That way, not only will there be no more rapes, there will be no more church.

If you don't find institutionalized religions to be "your thing", that's fine. But why should others have to suffer? There are some in this world that need a dream to believe in. They have nothing else in this world. Let them dream. Let them have their crutch. Let them have something to believe in. Take that away, and THEN what type of a world would you live in? Think about that before you answer.
  2. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 19:31
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The wolves smell blood...
    As a Christian, I cannot believe you are not openly condeming what happened. It is a serious global atrocity. The fact that women are being raped is the main part of this, which has nothing to do with religion. The fact that priests, the trusted men of GOD are doing this makes it that much worse.

How can you not be painfully and deeply offended that Holy Men of Faith are guilty of this?

The fact that you won't condem it and won't even make a negative comment almost seems like you are condoning it.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 19:52
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe

The fact that you won't condem it and won't even make a negative comment almost seems like you are condoning it.
    He condones it every time he gives money to the instutituion that carries it out.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by lioyank
    Just Catholics?
    Who else but Catholics have the power to correct the problems of the Catholic Church, or to enable its problems to persist?
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:05
    Nope. I won't be until Catholics like you realize that you have the power to stop these things from happening and begin to use it.
    Protestants commit more of these abuses than Catholics, but they constitute hundreds of churches. The unchurched may be worse, yet, but who tracks that?

Sexual abuse is a crime of violence that cuts across nations and cultures, across religions and eras. Can anyone truly stop it?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:086 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Protestants commit more of these abuses than Catholics, but they constitute hundreds of churches. The unchurched may be worse, yet, but who tracks that?

Sexual abuse is a crime of violence that cuts across nations and cultures, across religions and eras. Can anyone truly stop it?
    I am not referring to the crimes of violence. I am not claiming that Catholics have the power to stop all rapes, all rapes by Catholics, or even all rapes by those who are Catholic priests. I am claiming that they have the power to remove the institutional framework that allows, enables and supports these rapes.

The atrocity is the fact that these crimes are covered up by those in power and systematically allowed and enabled to persist. That is what Catholics have the power to stop.

It is not the case that Protestant churches collectively enable, allow and support more sex crimes than the Catholic Church does. I'd go so far as to say that there's not a single non-governmental organization in the world that surpasses the Catholic Church on this metric. And for the governmental institutions that do, they gain their funding at the point of a gun, so those who fund them do not share the blame. But Catholics support their monster voluntarily.
  7. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:401 edit
    Withold funds, of course. But for donations to the Church, it would be impossible for such institutionalized atrocities to persist.
    Nope. The vast majority of priests do a good job and have no criminal history. I'm not about the withhold their livelihood. If I have no problems with my parish priest or bishop, I see no reason to withold funds.

We don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:52
    Nope. The vast majority of priests do a good job and have no criminal history. I'm not about the withhold their livelihood. If I have no problems with my parish priest or bishop, I see no reason to withold funds.

Well, then that's something you'll have to answer for on Judgment Day. You and the innocent priests know that your hands aren't tied. You know that it is possible to do good and to earn a decent living without doing business through the Catholic Church.
  9. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:54
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    As a Christian, I cannot believe you are not openly condeming what happened. It is a serious global atrocity. The fact that women are being raped is the main part of this, which has nothing to do with religion. The fact that priests, the trusted men of GOD are doing this makes it that much worse.

How can you not be painfully and deeply offended that H ...[text shortened]... won't condem it and won't even make a negative comment almost seems like you are condoning it.
    Don't be silly. That I'm not willing to jump on Scribbles' bandwagon of "let's hit the Church with any stick we get" does not mean I'm condoning these crimes. Open condemnation is fine for armchair activists, I prefer to work to reform the Church from within.

Perhaps when the Church's critics provide more balanced coverage (for instance, the role of Church charities in helping those affected by Katrina, or the Pakistan earthquake, or the tsunami) and when they provide constructive criticism, you'll find my responses more to your liking.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 20:55

What steps have you personally taken to drain the bathwater?
  11. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 21:00
    Well, then that's something you'll have to answer for on Judgment Day. You and the innocent priests know that your hands aren't tied. You know that it is possible to do good and to earn a decent living without doing business through the Catholic Church.
    Don't worry. I'll have a lot of things to answer for on Judgment Day, but I doubt deciding to support my parish, diocese and their charitable activities is going to be one of those.

You know that it is possible to do good and to earn a decent living without doing business through the Catholic Church.

This is why I asked if you'd leave us alone. You said you didn't see why not. Your statement above tells me otherwise.
  12. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 21:06
    What steps have you personally taken to drain the bathwater?
    I keep myself informed and involved. I support those who provide constructive criticism and balanced coverage.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 21:101 edit
    I keep myself informed and involved. I support those who provide constructive criticism and balanced coverage.
    LOL. Yes, that certainly sounds like a much more effective solution than mine. Hell, you might be made a saint for such courageous acts.

How many rapes and molestations do you suppose you've prevented already?
  14. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 21:15
    LOL. Yes, that certainly sounds like a much more effective solution than mine. Hell, you might be made a saint for such courageous acts.

How many rapes and molestations do you suppose you've prevented already?
    I don't know. I don't count events that never happened.

What I do know is that, in all the parishes I've been in, your solution would simply have deprived good priests of their livelihood and needy people the aid they've received.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 21:17

What I do know is that, in all the parishes I've been in, your solution would simply have deprived good priests of their livelihood and needy people the aid they've received.
    I don't see why. Priests can find occupations outside of the church, and all that money can still be transferred to the needy without having to go through an evil middleman.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree