1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 18:481 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Working out probabilities is a straight up math problem, it doesn’t have to be about the past, present, or future.

What we assume historically may or may not be true. It doesn’t have to be about how you figure it out your math, that could be spot on, yet based on bad assumptions. So not the same thing!

You can look up how they came up the figures it isn’t that difficult.
    Are you telling me that molecules bonding are not effected by their environment?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 19:32
    @stellspalfie said
    Are you telling me that molecules bonding are not effected by their environment?
    No
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 20:02
    @kellyjay said
    No
    So its fair to say we would need to know what the environmental conditions were and when they formed to be able to accurately calculate the probability of them forming?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 21:37
    @stellspalfie said
    So its fair to say we would need to know what the environmental conditions were and when they formed to be able to accurately calculate the probability of them forming?
    If we don’t know all the variables then we are missing something.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 00:09
    @stellspalfie said
    We also need to know what is required before we even concern ourselves with the possible good or bad environmental conditions.

YouTube
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 00:20
    @kellyjay said
    If we don’t know all the variables then we are missing something.
    Sorry if we don't know all the variables we don't know if we are missing something.
    For that matter if there is something there hindering, or speeding things up, we just don't know.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:04
    @kellyjay said
    Sorry if we don't know all the variables we don't know if we are missing something.
    For that matter if there is something there hindering, or speeding things up, we just don't know.
    So you understand now that if we cannot model the correct conditions for weather a million years ago, we cannot model the conditions for organic molecules clumping together a billion years ago.

But of course you will not accept this, cue random tangent post.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:20
    @kellyjay said
    A disruption in any generation from one life form into the next game over, start your calculations there and tell me the odds.
    Yep.
    Game over.

It is called extinction.

Many, many more species have gone extinct than live today.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:41
    @kellyjay said
    You don’t think I can pull up examples of human errors and bias changing outcomes?
    It’s as if the point has just whooshed right over your head again. Whether it’s deliberate or you are completely oblivious I’m really not sure. But it will have to wait till tomorrow now.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:41
    @stellspalfie said
    So you understand now that if we cannot model the correct conditions for weather a million years ago, we cannot model the conditions for organic molecules clumping together a billion years ago.

But of course you will not accept this, cue random tangent post.
    The film removes all variables that could hinder success, then setup the perfect theoretical conditions for success to simulate the odds being overcome.

When I bemoan the theory of abiogenesis it is always due to things removed, they are the show stoppers conditions not suitable for life, lack of the necessary ingredients all being in the same place at the same time.

What did you not like about the film you thought was being disingenuous?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:43
    @proper-knob said
    It’s as if the point has just whooshed right over your head again. Whether it’s deliberate or you are completely oblivious I’m really not sure. But it will have to wait till tomorrow now.
    What do you make of the odds of a protein forming by chance, you disagree with the math?
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:52
    @KellyJay

I have no idea. I don’t really see what relevance that has to our discussion of your religious beliefs and the impact they have on mankind’s understanding of the universe and the planet we live on.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 22:461 edit
    @kellyjay said
    The film removes all variables that could hinder success, then setup the perfect theoretical conditions for success to simulate the odds being overcome.

When I bemoan the theory of abiogenesis it is always due to things removed, they are the show stoppers conditions not suitable for life, lack of the necessary ingredients all being in the same place at the same time.

What did you not like about the film you thought was being disingenuous?
    And just to clarify the film makers know ALL the variables - correct?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '19 00:43
    @proper-knob said
    @KellyJay

I have no idea. I don’t really see what relevance that has to our discussion of your religious beliefs and the impact they have on mankind’s understanding of the universe and the planet we live on.
    What religious doctrine was in the either video that I displayed. This is purely about probabilities and numbers, you disagree with the likelihood based on anything you have seen, or how any of the variables were put together?

You have not answered my question about the variables, you going to?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '19 00:54
    @stellspalfie said
    And just to clarify the film makers know ALL the variables - correct?
    They were dealing with the numbers they knew, and kept the desired outcome to just a single protein. The second video talks about a small sliver of the required variables, you disagree with the presentation of how the numbers arrived at?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree