1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 05:12
    The English word "trinity" is derived from Latin trinitas, meaning "the number three, a triad". This abstract noun is formed from the adjective trinus (three each, threefold, triple), as the word unitas is the abstract noun formed from unus (one).

The first recorded use of the Greek equivalent word in Christian theology (although not about the Divine Trinity) was by Theophilus of Antioch in about 170. He wrote:

In like manner also the three days which were before the luminaries, are types of the Trinity, of God, and His Word, and His wisdom. And the fourth is the type of man, who needs light, that so there may be God, the Word, wisdom, man.

Tertullian, a Latin theologian who wrote in the early 3rd century, is credited as being the first to use the Latin words "Trinity", "person" and "substance" to explain that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "one in essence—not one in Person".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

Origin of the Trinity
    YouTube

The Truth about the Council of Nicaea
    YouTube

SHOULD YOU BELIEVE IN THE TRINITY? Is Jesus the Almighty God?
    YouTube

The Instructor
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 17:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The English word "trinity" is derived from Latin trinitas, meaning "the number three, a triad". This abstract noun is formed from the adjective trinus (three each, threefold, triple), as the word unitas is the abstract noun formed from unus (one).

The first recorded use of the Greek equivalent word in Christian theology (although not about the Divine Tri ...[text shortened]... sus the Almighty God?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNXgWm5_Ms

The Instructor
    The short answer: No.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 17:38

The first recorded use of the Greek equivalent word in Christian theology (although not about the Divine Tri ...[text shortened]... sus the Almighty God?

The Instructor
    Well you know what they say about opinions don't you? Unfortunately this Theophilus chappy is not credited with any of the writings in the Bible and therefore as far as most Christians are concerned his opinion remains just that.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 22:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well you know what they say about opinions don't you? Unfortunately this Theophilus chappy is not credited with any of the writings in the Bible and therefore as far as most Christians are concerned his opinion remains just that.
    Theophilus of Antioch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophilus_of_Antioch

The Instructor
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 23:41
    Theophilus of Antioch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophilus_of_Antioch

The Instructor
    So you admit that the trinity is not in the bible and this guy invented it?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 17:58
    Bump for RJHinds
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 20:403 edits

The first recorded use of the Greek equivalent word in Christian theology (although not about the Divine Tri sus the Almighty God?

The Instructor
    As I have questioned before and have never recieved much of any responce as of yet, BUT IF the trinity is as big of a central doctrine as is claimed and one that is said to mean ones only salvation by believing in it without question or doubt by it's churches and as history has shown ones actually being put to DEATH for not accepting it..........why is it not beyond a doubt cleary explained in the Bible with absolutly not doubts of it's accuracy?
    ALL of god's people before Jesus came to earth NEVER believed in their God being a muliti headed, multidimentional, multipersonalitied, or whatever words trinititairians use for the "word of the day" to try and describe their God, NEVER.
    Not ((((((( 1 ))))))) mention of anything even slightly hinting of that, other then God himself saying, he is what? (((((( 1 )))))) God.
    So even if somehow that scripture is wrong and something changed in heaven that suddenly everything is different and now they are now a 3 in 1 God and now we need to understand that, and if not you will die, where does it say that in the Bible? Where did Jesus say this? Where did the apostles say this?

Where is the word trinity at in the Bible?

So #1 of 2 things are happening here. Either God is not being fair to us in not explaining this NEW God that he's become, or #2, satan is tricking all who are willing to be tricked into believing this man made doctrine with it's roots deeply brought from ancient Babylon's triads of gods that Jehovah hated and actually had that society destroyed.
    So since Jesus or his Father Jehovah has NEVER once explained this new trinity god to us and told us believe it or else.......it can be from nothing other then SATAN.
    Jesus warned of this but why are there so many who don't seem to care and look at the history and the evidence of the trinity? SATAN has got cha.....
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 20:572 edits
    That's not quite right. According to a couple of web sites, a slight majority of Christians are Catholic. Catholic doctrine is based on the Bible as augmented by the "wisdom of the ages" which means, by thinkers such as Theophilus. This reliance is actually credited to Jesus.

"The Catholic understanding of Tradition, what it is and how it comes to regulate our changing life and understanding, really goes back to Scripture, which actually supports the idea of Tradition. For example, the Gospels tell us that Jesus himself was sometimes caught in the argument between the Pharisees and Sadducees. The main difference between the two parties was that the Sadducees wanted to restrict beliefs and rules to what was explicitly written in the Hebrew Scriptures, while the Pharisees held themselves bound by the cumulative wisdom of the ages that had been gathered in the Tradition. On this issue, Jesus took sides very emphatically with the Pharisees against the Sadducees. For instance, in the Gospel of Matthew (22:23-33) he supports the Pharisees— traditional teaching of the resurrection of the dead."

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac1081.asp
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 21:211 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's not quite right. According to a couple of web sites, a slight majority of Christians are Catholic. Catholic doctrine is based on the Bible as augmented by the "wisdom of the ages" which means, by thinkers such as Theophilus. This reliance is actually credited to Jesus.

"The Catholic understanding of Tradition, what it is and how it comes to regulate ...[text shortened]... the resurrection of the dead."

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac1081.asp
    I respect your opinion totally. However "a couple of websites" does not really compare with what core Christianity accepts as Biblical scripture.

The "reliance" you speak of is really explained as "interpretation", which brings us back to RJHinds' original dilemma that the person he expounds as being the originator of the trinity is not part of Biblical scripture whatsoever.

Catholic tradition is not Biblical truth and we can kid ourselves that the "traditions of men" somehow outweigh the truth of the gospel, but we are just kidding ourselves.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 21:22
    Originally posted by galveston75
    As I have questioned before and have never recieved much of any responce as of yet, BUT IF the trinity is as big of a central doctrine as is claimed and one that is said to mean ones only salvation by believing in it without question or doubt by it's churches and as history has shown ones actually being put to DEATH for not accepting it..........why is i ...[text shortened]... to care and look at the history and the evidence of the trinity? SATAN has got cha.....
    I never suggested one must be conversant on the subject of the Trinity as a requirement of salvation.

When you receive Jesus you know that you have touched God.
    You confess that Jesus is Lord.

You do not have to be thoroughly academically conversant on Trinitarian theology.

So please stop making this strawman argument.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '13 23:59
    Originally posted by sonship
    I never suggested one must be conversant on the subject of the Trinity as a requirement of salvation.

When you receive Jesus you know that you have touched God.
    You confess that Jesus is Lord.

You do not have to be thoroughly academically conversant on Trinitarian theology.

So please stop making this strawman argument.
    Well this is your opinion and not one that is the original basis of the trinity doctrine.
    History proves that many died because of not believing or accepting this belief.
    And yes many still are still taught from their churches today that you will not gain salvation if your do not accept it.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 01:17
    Well this is your opinion and not one that is the original basis of the trinity doctrine.
    History proves that many died because of not believing or accepting this belief.
    And yes many still are still taught from their churches today that you will not gain salvation if your do not accept it.

History proves that many died because of many reasons regarding belief; JW, Jews, Catholics, Protestants and Muslims... just to name a few, die and have died for their beliefs. Believing in the trinity is not unique in this regard, I would say that believing in God is more of a factor than of the flavor when it comes to dying or persecution.

I have been a believer for about 30 years, been to a few different churches in that time. I have heard to the contrary however to what you are suggesting in the above statement. The UPC (United Pentecostal Church) is Jesus only, JW (Jehovah Witness) are Jehovah only; these two come to mind that teach their own unique dogma. I have never heard taught that salvation depends on accepting the belief in the trinity. The two flavors mentioned above I think do require their own unique belief for salvation, non-trinity, no?

Just wondering what churches teach the trinity today as a requirement for salvation? Not that I disagree, just curious.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 03:02
    Originally posted by kd2acz

History proves that many died because of many reasons regarding belief; JW, Jews, Catholics, Protestants and Muslims... just to name a few, die and have died for their beliefs. Believing in the trinity is not unique in this regard, I would say that believing in ...[text shortened]... ches teach the trinity today as a requirement for salvation? Not that I disagree, just curious.
    It's been posted before but don't have it here in front of me so will look it back up.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 03:34
    It's been posted before but don't have it here in front of me so will look it back up.
    Ok, thx.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 10:18
    Another bump for RJHinds.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree