1. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 12:29
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    There is nothing but lies to learn from "other gods". There is only one true God.
    Edit: BUT, there are other false gods, Lucifer comes to mind, Baal, Bel etc
    Nicely put... I would add that the best Lucifer (as he was known prior to his rebellion) can hope for is to 'be like God', but will never be God. Satan earnestly desires human adoration and to be worshiped and as we can clearly see in our world today... is. He is a created being and is not God.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 12:43
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    There is nothing but lies to learn from "other gods". There is only one true God.
    Edit: BUT, there are other false gods, Lucifer comes to mind, Baal, Bel etc
    OK, as you like. To you and other Christians here, what other gods (that you think are false) have you learned about that you find interesting? 🙂
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 15:06
    Originally posted by leunammi
    Yes there are other "gods" that have come down throughout history, they are more of an object of worship than anything else... idols and dead at that. If the definition in the OP for God is the creator, master, etc... there is only one and no others.
    Creator gods are ten a penny. Just taking the random letter 'P' we have:

Pacha Kamaq
    Pangu
    Pariacaca
    Prajapati
    Prometheus
    Ptah
    Pūluga
    Pundjel
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 15:37
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Pacha Kamaq
    Pangu
    Pariacaca
    Prajapati
    Prometheus
    Ptah
    Pūluga
    Pundjel
    That's only eight.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 15:43
    That's only eight.
    One of the eight is a trinity.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 16:39
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Pacha Kamaq
    Pangu
    Pariacaca
    Prajapati
    Prometheus
    Ptah
    Pūluga
    Pundjel
    The difference with all your man made/mythological examples of gods is that they are just that, myths. The God of the bible became a man, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended to the right hand of the Father... fulfilling over 300 prophecies handed down over thousands of years, exact amount varies depending on the source, some put it over 400.

Note: Source cbn.com

Mathematically speaking, the odds of anyone fulfilling this amount of prophecy are staggering. Mathematicians put it this way:

1 person fulfilling 8 prophecies: 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000 1 person fulfilling 48 prophecies: 1 chance in 10 to the 157th power 1 person fulfilling 300+ prophecies: Only Jesus!

Another source has a variation...
    http://www.goodnewsdispatch.org/math.html

No other, only the God of the bible, only Jesus.

Again, to answer the OP... there is none other that even comes close to being interesting.

What I do find interesting is that a lot of the mythological gods have similarities to the bible, that I find interesting.

Note: The following is taken from Wikipedia, no claim is made as to it's accuracy.

Pacha Kamaq Ichman
    Pacha Kamaq was believed to have created the first man and woman, but forgot to give them food and the man died. The woman cursed Pacha Kamaq, accusing him of neglect, and Pacha Kamaq made her fertile. Later Pacha Kamaq killed her son and cut the corpse into pieces, each of which became a separate fruit or vegetable plant. The woman's second son, Wichama, escaped, so Pacha Kamaq killed the woman. Wichama sought revenge and drove Pacha Kamaq into the ocean.

Pangu Chinese
    In the beginning there was nothing in the universe except a formless chaos. This chaos coalesced into a cosmic egg for about 18,000 years. Within it, the perfectly opposed principles of Yin and Yang became balanced, and Pangu emerged (or woke up) from the egg. Pangu is usually depicted as a primitive, hairy giant who has horns on his head and wears furs. Pangu began creating the world: he separated Yin from Yang with a swing of his giant axe, creating the Earth (murky Yin) and the Sky (clear Yang). To keep them separated, Pangu stood between them and pushed up the Sky. With each day the sky grew ten feet (3 meters) higher, the Earth ten feet thicker, and Pangu ten feet taller. In some versions of the story, Pangu is aided in this task by the four most prominent beasts, namely the Turtle, the Qilin, the Phoenix, and the Dragon.

Pariacaca Incan
    In Incan and pre-Incan mythology, Pariacaca was a god of water and rainstorms and a creator god. He was born a falcon but later became human.

Prajapati Hindu
    Prajapati is a Vedic deity presiding over procreation, and the protection of life. He was mentioned as Daksha in Hiranyagharbhasuktham as the creator deity emerging from supreme god vishvakarman above the other Vedic deities in RV 10 and in Brahmana literature.

Prometheus Greek
    Prometheus (/prəˈmiːθiːəs/ prə-MEE-thee-əs; Greek: Προμηθεύς [promɛːtʰeús], meaning forethought) is a Titan in Greek mythology, best known as the deity in Greek mythology who was the creator of mankind and its greatest benefactor, who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to mankind.

Ptah Egyptian
    In Egyptian mythology, Ptah (/pəˈtɑː/;[1] Egyptian: ptḥ, probably vocalized as Pitaḥ in ancient Egyptian)[2] is the demiurge of Memphis, god of craftsmen and architects. In the triad of Memphis, he is the spouse of Sekhmet and the father of Nefertum. He was also regarded as the father of the sage Imhotep.

Puluga Andaman
    Pūluga (or Puluga) is the creator in the religion of the indigenous inhabitants of the Andaman Islands. According to Andaman mythology, Puluga ceased to visit the people when they became remiss of the commands given to them at the creation. Then, without further warning he sent a devastating flood. Only four people survived this flood: two men, Loralola and Poilola, and two women, Kalola and Rimalola. When they landed they found they had lost their fire and all living things had perished. Puluga then recreated the animals and plants but does not seem to have given any further instructions, nor did he return the fire to the survivors.

Pundjel Aboriginal
    In Australian aboriginal mythology, Pundjel is a creator god who invented most of the skills used by Australian Aborigines, including religious rites. He was very much involved in the initiation of boys into manhood.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 17:04
    The difference with all your man made/mythological examples of gods is that they are just that, myths. The God of the bible became a man, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended to the right hand of the Father... fulfilling over 300 prophecies handed down over thousands of years, exact amount varies depending on the source, some put it over 4 ...[text shortened]... es, including religious rites. He was very much involved in the initiation of boys into manhood.
    It's 'all' just man made myth to me dude.

Welcome to the forums though.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 17:29
    The difference with all your man made/mythological examples of gods is that they are just that, myths. The God of the bible became a man, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended to the right hand of the Father... fulfilling over 300 prophecies handed down over thousands of years, exact amount varies depending on the source, some put it over 400..
    What you are saying is that those early Christians who were setting up a new religion as a deliberate breakaway from Judaism, and who wrote the new religion's texts in the decades after Jesus' death, carefully incorporared 300-400 references to Hebrew literature into those texts in order to lay claim to them in a way that Jews would never (and have never) condoned , right?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What you are saying is that those early Christians who were setting up a new religion as a deliberate breakaway from Judaism, and who wrote the new religion's texts in the decades after Jesus' death, carefully incorporared 300-400 references to Hebrew literature into those texts in order to lay claim to them in a way that Jews would never (and have never) condoned , right?
    Don't think that is what I said at all. The prophecies regarding Jesus were already written prior to his birth and I think the early church was not concerned about a 'deliberate breakaway from Judiasim', but preaching the gospel.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:42
    Don't think that is what I said at all. The prophecies regarding Jesus were already written prior to his birth and I think the early church was not concerned about a 'deliberate breakaway from Judiasim', but preaching the gospel.
    In what years were the supposed fulfilling of prophesies inserted into early Christian texts? Did those writers have access to or know about what was written in the Hebrew texts during that time?
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what years were the supposed fulfilling of prophesies inserted into early Christian texts? Did those writers have access to or know about what was written in the Hebrew texts during that time?
    I mentioned Jesus fulfilling prophecy, and those prophecies would be prior to the Christian Church. Do you believe Jesus fulfilled any prophecy, any at all?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:02
    I mentioned Jesus fulfilling prophecy, and those prophecies would be prior to the Christian Church. Do you believe Jesus fulfilled any prophecy, any at all?
    But who wrote the texts claiming that Jesus had fulfilled prophecies? And when were these texts written?
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    But who wrote the texts claiming that Jesus had fulfilled prophecies? And when were these texts written?
    OT texts and prophesies of the messiah... I think you are aware fully aware of that from what I have seen in several recent threads.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:14
    OT texts and prophesies of the messiah... I think you are aware fully aware of that from what I have seen in several recent threads.
    Were the writers of the NT aware of those OT texts?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    NT writers went to great lengths to fulfill OT prophecies about Jesus. - For example, manipulating the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem with a bogus and fanciful census to fit in with Micha 5:2:

'But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree