1. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 02:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You don't think people with other beliefs, other religions, non-Christian theists, are interested in "the subject of God"?
    Yes, I think people with other beliefs, other religions, non-Christian theists, are interested in the subject of God.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 02:51
    Originally posted by leunammi
    Yes, I think people with other beliefs, other religions, non-Christian theists, are interested in the subject of God.
    So what makes you say that you wouldn't be interested in the subject of God if you were a non-Christian theist/religionist?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 12:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what makes you say that you wouldn't be interested in the subject of God if you were a non-Christian theist/religionist?
    Had you prior to have becoming a Christian found other religions interesting... what I mean is, were you interested in the subject of god? Subsequently, now that you are not a christian, are you interested in the subject of God. Why/why not?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 12:53
    Had you prior to have becoming a Christian found other religions interesting... what I mean is, were you interested in the subject of god? Subsequently, now that you are not a christian, are you interested in the subject of God. Why/why not?
    I've always been interested in religions; losing my Christian faith didn't alter that. I'm interested in the impact that ideology (be it religion, politics, or whatever) has on people's intellectual and interpersonal behaviour.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 14:00
    The difference with all your man made/mythological examples of gods is that they are just that, myths. The God of the bible became a man, died on the cross, rose on the third day and ascended to the right hand of the Father... fulfilling over 300 prophecies handed down over thousands of years, exact amount varies depending on the source, some put it over 4 ...[text shortened]... es, including religious rites. He was very much involved in the initiation of boys into manhood.
    That's quite breathtaking. You claim that your religion is true and the others "myths" because your holy book, which is about the only near contemporaneous historical evidence for Christ himself (as opposed to the presence of Christians, e.g. Tacitus' mention of "Chrestus", or various biblical figures such as Pilate with the Pilate stone), has him fulfill some prophecies? Incidentally that probability calculation is pseudo-scientific bull. They have not stated the basis for assigning a probability of 1 in 10^18 for fulfilling eight prophecies. They do not appear to have any real method of assigning probabilities and simply multiplying won't work because fulfilling one prophecy may be correlated with fulfilling another. So I really don't think that unsubstantiated claims that Christ fulfilled a lot of prophecies prove very much concerning the veracity of Christianity. What is more, even if Christ had fulfilled all the prophecies you claim it would not necessarily prove other religions are false.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 15:32
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That's quite breathtaking. You claim that your religion is true and the others "myths" because your holy book, which is about the only near contemporaneous historical evidence for Christ himself (as opposed to the presence of Christians, e.g. Tacitus' mention of "Chrestus", or various biblical figures such as Pilate with the Pilate stone), has hi ...[text shortened]... fulfilled all the prophecies you claim it would not necessarily prove other religions are false.
    Is it then your belief that Jesus as a historical figure did not exist?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 21:55
    The prophecies spoken of by the prophets with regards to Jesus were OT, over 300.
    Whats that? What did he do ?
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 22:15
    Is it then your belief that Jesus as a historical figure did not exist?
    I have no particular belief in that regard. It is plausible that there was an historical Jesus, however, the existence of the Bible and Christian Tradition is not proof that there was an historical Jesus. What is more even if there were an historical Jesus then that does not entail that he was the Son of God. My position is one of classical skepticism, so I do not deny the possibility. I am an agnostic. However that does mean that I'll strongly criticize claims that one religion is true and others are not unless I see a really good argument.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 22:33
    Originally posted by vivify
    To Christians here, what other gods have you learned about that you find interesting? Keep in mind that this thread is NOT some kind of trap. I'm genuinely interested in what other gods pique your interest, for whatever reason. I'm not asking in the sense that you actually believe in this other god, but only in the sense that you found this god to be inter ...[text shortened]... superhero aspects of his character. I found the 12 Labors of Hercules to be pretty fascinating.
    That would be zero.

Many of the gods I've studied demand human sacrifice. It was proven recently that the same could be said of Greek gods like Zeus.

Conversely, my God sacrificed himself for me.

Who compares to Jesus in terms of his righteousness and wisdom? No one, that's who.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 22:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    That would be zero.

Many of the gods I've studied demand human sacrifice. It was proven recently that the same could be said of Greek gods like Zeus.

Conversely, my God sacrificed himself for me.

Who compares to Jesus in terms of his righteousness and wisdom? No one, that's who.
    However if you recall the story of Abraham's abortive sacrifice of Isaac the narrative would not make sense, either straightforwardly or mythologically, had there not been an era when the sacrifice of humans to the God of Abraham was required.
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 23:12
    I have no particular belief in that regard. It is plausible that there was an historical Jesus, however, the existence of the Bible and Christian Tradition is not proof that there was an historical Jesus. What is more even if there were an historical Jesus then that does not entail that he was the Son of God. My position is one of classical skepticism ...[text shortened]... iticize claims that one religion is true and others are not unless I see a really good argument.
    Are there any religions that you consider to be true, by true I mean true in the sense of a bonified creator?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 23:442 edits
    However if you recall the story of Abraham's abortive sacrifice of Isaac the narrative would not make sense, either straightforwardly or mythologically, had there not been an era when the sacrifice of humans to the God of Abraham was required.
    Actually, taken in context the story made perfect sense.

Religions during the time of Abraham routinely engaged in child sacrifice. So what does the God of the Bible do? He begins the same process, only, he stops Abraham from going through with it showing Abraham and the world that the God of the Bible is different.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 01:36
    The OT God was into human sacrifice, but most references were weeded out of the scrolls when the Bible was assembled.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 03:15
    Actually, taken in context the story made perfect sense.

Religions during the time of Abraham routinely engaged in child sacrifice. So what does the God of the Bible do? He begins the same process, only, he stops Abraham from going through with it showing Abraham and the world that the God of the Bible is different.
    But the story implies that Abraham's God required human sacrifice before Abraham and Isaac. Your words: "Actually, taken in context the story made perfect sense." are a proxy for "This is my interpretation.". Based on the story alone one cannot conclude anything other than that the God of Abraham demanded human sacrifice until the covenant with Abraham.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '16 03:36
    Many of the gods I've studied demand human sacrifice.
    If the Jehovah's Witnesses have their understanding of the message of the Bible right, then Christians should be prepared to die (or be willing to let their children die) for want of medical treatment (that includes blood transfusions) in order either to please God or to not displease Him. Considering the treatment could (and does) save lives, forgoing it in order to supposedly obey God is clearly a form of human sacrifice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree