1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    in the Church of the FSM it is.

So evidently you do care.
    And I'll only say this one more time. Belief in the FSM is a put-on by the atheists to make fun of Christians. As such, it should be denounced.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:49
    Believing in imaginary beings, talking to someone in your head,
    believing the world is 6,000 years old, thinking that a crucified
    man came back to life. It may be funny, but who does that?
    Generally speaking I'd say a person with psychological issues
    The Shroud of Turin is strong evidence that a crucified man did come back to life, and that man was the crucified may described in the New Testament.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I suspected as such from the comment you'd made in the thread about them finally ordaining women bishops. I don't know enough about the Episcopalians to make a judgement about who is more liberal. I'd just point out that the Church of England contains a lot of variation: there's Low Church, typically in the North, with High Church and Anglo-Catholics m ...[text shortened]... entalists and non-fundamentalist theists. The more fundamentalist ones tend not to distinguish.
    The Episcopalian Church in the US is currently factionalized to some extent. But it's mostly a political thing, being basically a contest of wills of either side to get traction for their programs at the synod, council and conference levels. At a "tenets of the Church" level, most dioceses are together.

And you may be right about the atheists' concept of fundamentalism. It usually doesn't bother me much either way. I've been called things I'm not on more than one occasion (understatement) and when people do it, I generally make one attempt to correct them, and if they don't listen after that I basically don't care what they say about me because it has a high probability of being wrong.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 05:00
    Believing in imaginary beings, talking to someone in your head,
    believing the world is 6,000 years old, thinking that a crucified
    man came back to life. It may be funny, but who does that?
    Generally speaking I'd say a person with psychological issues
    Who does that?

People who are right with God.

Insult that all you want, your insults only affect you.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 05:11
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You believe in some great big apocalyptic battle that will be fought in our life-times between the demons of hell and the angels of light on the plains of Megido (or however you phrase it), this is pretty damned right of centre to me. Further, you are more inclined to defend the god of the OT than you are to assert that the writings about this entity might not ...[text shortened]... others to consider you a moderate ... you still believe in full-fat crazy, just a bit less salt.
    And yet the world keeps revolving closer and closer to the time when this will not sound so weird. Hopefully we can keep the Great Tribulation away from our doorsteps another 50-60 years so that by then, most of us will be dead and not have to go through it.

Again, what *you* think is moderate or insane is based on what *you* believe. There are plenty of people in my church who think that women should be seen and not heard, or should have their head covered at worship on Sunday, never mind being Bishop. You yourself seem more liberal than most here, and so naturally, I'd have to be pretty darned left to be left of *you*, which you no doubt would call "center". So even if I am "left of center", it's not left enough because you're already leaning left, and so it's not left of *your* center.

("full-fat crazy, just a bit less salt" -- I'll give you props for this, I thought that was pretty funny)
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 05:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Shroud of Turin is strong evidence that a crucified man did come back to life, and that man was the crucified may described in the New Testament.
    I'm still not 100% on your side with this, Ron, but I still have to admit that the cloth IS amazing, and it is indeed a matter of faith, although the prima facie evidence is indeed strong.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 05:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm still not 100% on your side with this, Ron, but I still have to admit that the cloth IS amazing, and it is indeed a matter of faith, although the prima facie evidence is indeed strong.
    I know that you are not 100% on my side on many things. However, I do not believe you are too stupid and stubborn to learn.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 06:10
    RJ sure has a way with the ladies! 🙄
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 21:08
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm pretty sure that is not part of Anglican theology.
    Then perhaps you'd like to take that up with Suzianne who actually subscribes to this idea.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 21:35
    And yet the world keeps revolving closer and closer to the time when this will not sound so weird. Hopefully we can keep the Great Tribulation away from our doorsteps another 50-60 years so that by then, most of us will be dead and not have to go through it.

Again, what *you* think is moderate or insane is based on what *you* believe. There are plenty ...[text shortened]... t crazy, just a bit less salt" -- I'll give you props for this, I thought that was pretty funny)
    There's about as much chance of this "Forces of Mordor vs the alliance"-esque finale you're so scared of actually happening as me becoming the next pope.

I was aiming more for the civilised-population-median than some supposed centre relative to my own beliefs (though I don't think of myself as any more liberal than the next bloke). As for the people in your church who think women should be seen and not heard (and I dread to imagine what else they think), would you consider that to be "centre"!?
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 00:31
    In other words, they're the "wishy-washy" types we were talking about in another thread. You know, those who say they believe something, but when the rubber meets the road, they really couldn't be held actually responsible for their beliefs. You mean "sane" like that?
    So now you are insulting my theist friends whom you have never
    met? Calling them wishy-washy because I call them sane? You
    really are one of the most insulting posters here.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 00:33
    Insult that all you want, your insults only affect you.
    I have used the exact same words that JosephW used in
    describing a group and you apparently found that OK.
    Perhaps you should have a little rant at him too?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 14:17
    And I'll only say this one more time. Belief in the FSM is a put-on by the atheists to make fun of Christians. As such, it should be denounced.
    it is a belief system that, when looked at objectively, has no less merit than islam of christianity.

that is not important though. why do you care? does what others believe in (sincerely or not) influence your own belief system? does it offend you? why would it?

i am more offended by what westboros believe in, and they are sincere. why would i care about pastafarianism?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 15:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is a belief system that, when looked at objectively, has no less merit than islam of christianity.

that is not important though. why do you care? does what others believe in (sincerely or not) influence your own belief system? does it offend you? why would it?

i am more offended by what westboros believe in, and they are sincere. why would i care about pastafarianism?
    What is Westboros? A city? A religion?
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 15:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is Westboros? A city? A religion?
    These guys:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

They happen to be the real life versions of the pillocks these guys parody:
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree