1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 04:29
    Originally posted by @apathist
    So your kid made a mistake. You okay with the judgement?
    You are without a clue.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 04:32
    Originally posted by @fmf
    As a matter of interest ~ and it's a perennial topic here ~ what do you believe happens to people [more specifically, those who don't believe the stuff you do] when they die?
    Of course, this is a management level decision and we do not know specifics.

I theorize that people are punished relatively based on the Luke 12 passage.

Justin Martyr's idea seems to make sense:
    - Christians and noble non-Christians that never had the opportunity go to heaven.
    - Baptized persons who were introduced to Christ, and exceptionally evil persons, go to hell.
    - Non-baptized people and very regular people who aren't that culpable go to Limbo where they eventually cease to exist.

I am not sure how it works but that was an interesting historic perspective that accounts for the idea of being punished with 'few lashes' while not going over to the Papist perspective of purgatory.

But I am no expert. I am not a theologian. I've only bothered sharing this in good faith and for the sake of public discussion and perhaps enlightening a few people.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 04:36
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I haven't thought of myself as misanthropic but actually... I do have a steady stream of pessimism that flows from me at times, lol.
    Your sneering "funky banter" misanthropy is something relatively new here, although FreakyKBH, I think, espouses something similar [he certainly regurgitates Alex Jones type stuff on multiple forums].

A more common strand of misanthropy that seems to stem from people's superstitions on this forum is an often expressed wish for the 'end times' to come, the sooner the better, because the world is purportedly so awful. We're talking Suzianne, sonship, KellyJay, RJHinds and others.

Hoping for literally billions and billions of people and their families to be destroyed has always struck me as the ultimate mainlined misanthropy. It's not the kind of Christianity I've been around all my life. So it's quite intriguing.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 04:37
    Of course, this is a management level decision and we do not know specifics.

I theorize that people are punished relatively based on the Luke 12 passage.

Justin Martyr's idea seems to make sense:
    - Christians and noble non-Christians that never had the opportunity go to heaven.
    - Baptized persons who were introduced to Christ, and excepti ...[text shortened]... this in good faith and for the sake of public discussion and perhaps enlightening a few people.
    Thanks.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 07:11
    Your sneering "funky banter" misanthropy is something relatively new here, although FreakyKBH, I think, espouses something similar [he certainly regurgitates Alex Jones type stuff on multiple forums].

A more common strand of misanthropy that seems to stem from people's superstitions on this forum is an often expressed wish for the 'end times' to come, the s ...[text shortened]... hropy. It's not the kind of Christianity I've been around all my life. So it's quite intriguing.
    Too bad you still haven't got this straight, no matter how many times I correct you.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 07:261 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Too bad you still haven't got this straight, no matter how many times I correct you.
    You predicted that it will happen in your lifetime and welcomed it if it was the wish of your god figure. sonship weighed in and agreed with you and said the sooner the better. roigam echoed you both. KellyJay agreed with your in-you-lifetime specificity. I remember it clearly. It's not the sort of profound pessimism that one forgets.

When I questioned your rationale for your prediction (the signs and indicators you perceived, one by one) you simply refused to debate it and went for a whole slew of highly personalized nothing-to-do-with-the-end-times scornful remarks instead.

Set the record straight with some sort of unequivocal on-topic statement by all means. It can be a new version of "correct" that will replace hereon the current version of "correct" that I am describing.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 13:086 edits
    And you say you know that the Hebrews were "God's chosen people" because the Hebrews wrote books in which they said that the Hebrews were "God's chosen people".
    He suggested that you read the Bible.
    So you think Hebrew prophets wrote such self flattering books like Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Isaiah and the twelve minor prophets.

Books full of self flattery, self congratulations as if Israel could do no wrong. Right ??

The Hebrews wrote a self aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God? Only problem is that they should have excluded chapter after chapter in which God is punishing them for their failure and misrepresentation of their calling.

At one point the prophets write that God said "You are not My people ... I am not your God." (see Hosea 1:9) .

Well, let's turn the logic of yours around just a bit.
    Let's try it on your writing:

There is no God because you an Atheist ( or Atheist leaning ) write that there is no God. Sounds a bit self serving to me.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 13:51
    Originally posted by @sonship
    He suggested that you read the Bible.
    I have read it several times in two languages.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 13:55
    Let's try it on your writing:

There is no God because you an Atheist ( or Atheist leaning ) write that there is no God. Sounds a bit self serving to me.
    There may well be a god or gods. I have never said 'there is no god', as you know: I reminded you of it in a post addressed to you a week or so ago. I have no reason to believe that ancient Hebrew mythology offers credible information about a supernatural creator.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 13:59
    The Hebrews wrote a self aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God? Only problem is that they should have excluded chapter after chapter in which God is punishing them for their failure and misrepresentation of their calling.
    The Hebrews wrote a self aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God?

Yes. The Hebrews wrote a self-aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God and that God was instructing them to do things and punishing them for not doing them etc. etc.. Yes. Self-aggrandizing.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 14:273 edits
    [b]The Hebrews wrote a self aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God?

Yes. The Hebrews wrote a self-aggrandizing book in which they touted that they alone were the chosen people of God and that God was instructing them to do things and punishing them for not doing them etc. etc.. Yes. Self-aggrandizing.[/b]
    That doesn't make sense because the Hebrew Bible is too candid.

A nation which artificially boasts of being on top because of God's choosing would probably not, say, tell of their chief King Davids's adultery and murder to steal someone's wife.

The pharoah's of Egypt went to pains to hide embarrassing episodes in the lives of their kings. In the hieroglyphics in their tombs only the most flattering remembrances are recorded. Even their defeats in battles were revised to appear as victories.

When in latter ages previous records became embarrassing, they actually carved away or carved over the previous details to make sure only good stuff about Egypt was left on those walls.

The Hebrew Bible's candidness is more indicative of truth telling. The frequent inclusion of embarrassing history is more suggestive of frankness and candidness then fictitious self promotion.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 15:40
    I mean more like... where does this record survive?

I have an interest in Norse culture. My mother is a Norwegian and while my father is a mixed American, he is also primarily Norwegian and Finnish, so if you could recommend some things, I would actually really enjoy reading some about this.
    Start your journey here with the slideshow.

www.popsugar.com/entertainment/photo-gallery/37531824/image/37531951/Little-Basic-History
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 22:291 edit
    A nation which artificially boasts of being on top because of God's choosing would probably not, say, tell of their chief King Davids's adultery and murder to steal someone's wife.
    Why not?

All you are doing is pointing to something in the mythology and saying that it's presence in the mythology is proof that the mythology is true.

It reminds of Grampy Bobby who used to argue the proof that all other religions were false, and that Christianity was true, was the fact that all the other religions didn't revolve around belief in Jesus, and then he would list elements [they'd always be copy pasted from somewhere] of the Jesus story and assert that thy were the attributes of "true" religion.

He'd them point out the presence of these tenets and details in Christian theology and their absence in other theologies and assert that this was proof that the other religions have got it wrong.

These kinds of conjured up circular ideas are weak arguments. It may work for you, sonship, but it's just weak.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 22:32
    The Hebrew Bible's candidness is more indicative of truth telling. The frequent inclusion of embarrassing history is more suggestive of frankness and candidness then fictitious self promotion.
    The fact that they were certain and sincere about defining themselves as God's chosen people is not indicative of their claims about supernatural phenomena being true.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 12:19
    You predicted that it will happen in your lifetime and welcomed it if it was the wish of your god figure. sonship weighed in and agreed with you and said the sooner the better. roigam echoed you both. KellyJay agreed with your in-you-lifetime specificity. I remember it clearly. It's not the sort of profound pessimism that one forgets.

When I questioned your ...[text shortened]... ion of "correct" that will replace hereon the current version of "correct" that I am describing.
    I've corrected you numerous times in this forum.

If you'd like some clarification, I invite you to go back and read what I have repeatedly written, correcting this ill-informed slander. I'm not wasting my time going over it yet again, if you still can't represent my views correctly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree