1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 10:21
    @thinkofone said
    Every verse in the Bible may not explicitly mention the blood of Christ. Because it is not mentioned in the Old Testament Isaiah in this particular passage proves little.

The point that you've disingenuously side-stepped is not that Isaiah 1:16,18 does not not explicitly mention the blood of Christ, it's that God explicitly states that they are to "make themselv ...[text shortened]... y Jesus while He walked the Earth. However, it flies in the face of the gospel in which you believe.
    Have you "ceased to do evil"?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 11:36
    @fmf said
    What "honest search" have you done into the identity of Paul aside from simply accepting what he supposedly says about who he is and what he says about his beliefs in the Bible? What is "the evidence" that he existed?
    Yes I've looked into it. You have to look at the history of the time inside and outside of the writings of scriptures. It is no different than looking up any other historical figure.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 11:49
    @kellyjay said
    Yes I've looked into it. You have to look at the history of the time inside and outside of the writings of scriptures. It is no different than looking up any other historical figure.
    This is interesting. So, if you "look at the history of the time ... outside of the writings of scriptures", what do you find about Paul?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 20:388 edits
    @caissad4

There is NO secular (non-religious) evidence for the existence of Saul/Paul.

Why should I adopt your assumption that the New Testament documents are of no historical relevance?

Are you suggesting non-believing historians who realize the historical importance of letters attributed to Paul, do so because they are Christian believers?

Your starting point assumes your conclusion. Ie. Those interested in circulating and copying and preserving the letters of Paul were incapable of knowing or telling the truth, is a form of question begging. Its a genetic fallacy also.

"Motives render the documents of no historical significance."

Your presupposition that what Christians circulated and read in their congregations is not historically significant if you don't believe the teaching of those letters, is poor education.

I reject the implied premise as paranoia.

It seems to me that you are erecting an extra line of defense against the message being taught there by sticking your head in the sand and telling yourself of the non-existence of the writer.

Before you subject Paul to this conspiracy theory you fell for the same tactic against Jesus of Nazareth.

Scholars from this school try to distinguish the Jesus of history from the miracle-working Jesus of faith. They assume, of course, there is a difference between the two. Why make this distinction?

In academics, everyone has a starting point. The place many scholars begin is not always clear to the public, but it is critical to understanding and evaluating their conclusions. Magazine stories about Easter are quick to point out that scholars reject the resurrection. But why do they reject it? A closer examination reveals their starting point. In a materialistic view of the universe, resurrections do not happen. Therefore any reports of revived corpses must be myths added to the records years latter.

Robert Funk of the Jesus Seminar makes this clear: "The Gospels are now assumed to be narratives in which the memory of Jesus is embellished by mythic elements that express the church's faith in him, and by plausible fictions that enhance the telling of the gospel story for first-century listeners."

The reasoning often goes something like this: The Gospels contain fabrications because they record events that are inconsistent with a "scientific" (i.e. materialistic) view of the world. Resurrection accounts, then, are myths. Furthermore, if Jesus predicts an event that comes to pass decades after his death (the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70, for example), this must have been added after the event occurred, since prophecy (a kind of miraculous knowledge) is impossible. The Gospels, then, were written late and could not be eye-witness accounts.

Your starting point is naturalism which you haven't proved but assumed.

Your collected "facts" are already assumed to conform to your naturalistic world-view. Your bias has rigged all interpretations of the facts beforehand. No analysis which doesn't pre-assume YOUR starting point is dismissed at the offset.

The resurrection is an invention ; the miracles are myths; there is no prophecy in the Bible; the Gospels were written long after the events took place and not by eyewitnesses. Starting with ones conclusions, though, is cheating. Nothing has been proved, only assumed.

[ Tactics, - A Game Plan For Discussing Your Christian Convictions, Gregory Koukl, Zondervan, pgs. 172,173 ]
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 00:18
    @cassaid4

It would seen sonship has just conceded your point.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 13:24

Removed by poster

7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 14:241 edit
    @suzianne said
    Have you "ceased to do evil"?
    The point that you've disingenuously side-stepped from Isaiah 1:16,18 is that God explicitly states that they are to "make themselves clean" by "remov[ing] the evil of your deeds from [His] sight" and "ceas[ing] to do evil". This concept is entirely consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth. However, it flies in the face of the gospel in which you believe.

You ask your question as if the answer might somehow change what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16,18.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 14:42
    The point that you've disingenuously side-stepped from Isaiah 1:16,18 is that God explicitly states that they are to "make themselves clean" by "remov[ing] the evil of your deeds from [His] sight" and "ceas[ing] to do evil". This concept is entirely consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth. However, it flies in the face of the gospel in which you believe.

You ask your question as if the answer might somehow change what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16,18.

No it doesnt "fly in the face" of the gospel by any means.

Your criticism makes a grand incorrect assumption. That is to apply the redemptive and salvific work of God is not to have one cleanse himself.

The cleasing agent is God Himself in redemption and sanctification. The believer must believe and thus apply God and His grace TO cleanse himself, herself.

You assume godless atheistic self improvement.
    The Bible is all about the cleansing of oneself through belief INTO the cleansing One the cleansing Agent the perfect redeeming God Himself.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 16:111 edit
    @sonship said
    [quote] The point that you've disingenuously side-stepped from Isaiah 1:16,18 is that God explicitly states that they are to "make themselves clean" by "remov[ing] the evil of your deeds from [His] sight" and "ceas[ing] to do evil". This concept is entirely consistent with the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth. However, it flies in the face of the gospel in w ...[text shortened]... oneself through belief INTO the cleansing One the cleansing Agent the perfect redeeming God Himself.
    No idea why you seem to think that regurgitating the gospel in which you believe addresses what I posted.

In Isaiah 1:16-17 God explicitly states what He states:
    Isaiah 1
    16“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
    Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
    Cease to do evil,
    17Learn to do good;
    Seek justice,
    Reprove the ruthless,
    Defend the orphan,
    Plead for the widow.

Since you seem to have missed it, God explicitly states in the the text in BOLD how one is to make oneself clean.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 16:363 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

Since you seem to have missed it, God explicitly states in the the text in BOLD how one is to make oneself clean.

I didn't miss anything in that regard.

All that is commanded is done by them RETURNING TO GOD.
    This is not the atheistic self improvement YOU preach -

"God is not there, not necessary, not knowable, not available. Go clean yourself up."

That is not the message. That is not the Bible. You are missing something and that intentionally.

Now I borrow some utterance from Jeremiah which helps put things in perspective.

Be appalled at this at this, O heavens, And be horrified; be very desolate, Declares Jehovah.

For My people have committed two evils; They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, to hew out for themselves cisterns,

Broken cisterns, which hold no water. (Jeremiah 2:12,13)

The underlying evils are that they have FORSAKEN God.
    They have forsaken God and substituted for Him other things which are inadequate.

It is the fear of the Lord which is the beginning of wisdom.
    You want NOT God nor the fear of God but wish to steal from a relationship with God to drink from the broken cistern of humanistic self improvement.

In returning TO God is the cure to their apostasy and its sins, both in Isaiah and in Jeremiah and everywhere else in Scripture.

"Forget about God and clean up your act." That's your stealth atheism speaking. And its rebellion.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 16:47
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

I didn't miss anything in that regard.

All that is commanded is done by them RETURNING TO GOD.
    This is not the atheistic self improvement YOU preach -

"God is not there, not necessary, not knowable, not available. Go ...[text shortened]... "Forget about God and clean up your act." That's your stealth atheism speaking. And its rebellion.
    I understand. You believe in Paul's gospel and place it above what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16-18 and above the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 16:581 edit
    @ThinkOfOne

I understand. You believe in Paul's gospel and place it above what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16-18 and above the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

He wrote 13 some books of the New Testament.
    You come along 2,000 years latter too sneaky to just tell everybody you don't know God and probably no one else does either. Agnostic ??

Or crypto Atheist digging into the Bible in order to prove God is not there.

I found out that some people go to the Bible to find God.
    And other people go to the Bible to try to get away from God.

Ironic, but true.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 17:11
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

He wrote 13 some books of the New Testament.
    You come along 2,000 years latter too sneaky to just tell everybody you don't know God and probably no one else does either. ...[text shortened]... to find God.
    And other people go to the Bible to try to get away from God.

Ironic, but true.
    Let's see.

You believe Paul's gospel.

As a result of this, you don't believe what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16-18. You also don't believe the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

Have you considered that in doing so, you have placed yourself amongst those "go to the Bible to try to get away from God"?

Ironic, but true.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 17:113 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

. You believe in Paul's gospel and place it above what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16-18 and above the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

Folks in the Old Testament you have many prophets speaking "Thus says the Lord ... etc. etc." In the New Testament it changes substantially.

Instead of the dictaphone repeat what God said, you have the principle of incarnation much more at work. God wroughts Himself into the fabric of a person's personality. Then when he speaks it is God flowing out of him.

Paul gave us probably one maybe one and a half "The Lord Said ... etc. etc." Old Testament style.

What we have in the new covenant in Christ saturating, seeping into, filling men and women SO THAT even in their opinion Gods speaking is coming out.

This is in conjunction with the Son of God being a God-man. He was God come as a man. He was the mingling of God and man. His followers are not to be dictaphones Old Testament, hyper Pentacostal style saying "Thus Says the Lord". Rather it is what God has worked into them, in sanctification of the soul which is the speaking forth of the truth.

Okay, lets get it out. "But you called me a toilet heart. But you called me a leper with bad breath. You're not like nice smiley Barney the Dinosaur at all. Not nice !! "

Just still a work in progress - towards Jesus.
    Like you'll be if you turn your life over to Jesus too.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 17:14
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

. You believe in Paul's gospel and place it above what God explicitly states in Isaiah 1:16-18 and above the gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

Folks in the Old Testament you have many prophets speaking "Thus says the Lord ... etc. etc." In the New Testament it changes substantially.

Instead of the dictaphone repeat wha ...[text shortened]... still a work in progress - towards Jesus.
    Like you'll be if you turn your life over to Jesus too.
    See my response in the post just before yours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree