1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 17:05
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    7 thumbs up for the dog-like faeces filled diseased mind of FMF.

Can’t all be atheists, surely.
    The flies always flock to the feces they like.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 19:41
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Lol you really are an idiot. Perhaps not by iq but by worldview.
    There would be a chance for a truce among religions only if people like you stopped thinking you have a monopoly on Absolute Truth. Until then, hear Voltaire’s words: “people will continue to commit atrocities so long as they believe absurdities.”
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 19:50
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    There would be a chance for a truce among religions only if people like you stopped thinking you have a monopoly on Absolute Truth. Until then, hear Voltaire’s words: “people will continue to commit atrocities so long as they believe absurdities.”
    Do you think it matters what manner of people think they have the absolute truth? As soon
    as anyone draws a line about anything all manner of people are going to disagree.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Do you think it matters what manner of people think they have the absolute truth? As soon
    as anyone draws a line about anything all manner of people are going to disagree.
    Indeed it does matter what manner of people think they are in possession of absolute truth, and whether they have the will and the power to impose it on others. Pogroms, genocides, and crusades are not perpetrated by people with doubts; they are perpetrated by people who are cocksure.

One of the things which makes peace among religions impossible in the world today is their presumption that if religions disagree, then only one of them can be true and all the others must be false. If even one party to the discussion sits down at the table firmly convinced that everyone else is going to hell in a hand basket, the discussion is doomed from the start.

There is a verse in the Koran which runs (approximately): "To every people a messenger comes. It is not needful for you [referring to Mohammed] to know who the other messengers were." Or, by implication, what the other messages were.

The fact that two people disagree does not mean that one of them must be wrong. Open your mind to the possibility that truth may be plural, not necessarily singular, and we've made one small step towards achieving enough respect to sit at the same table and talk about truth and whether any religion embodies some small aspect of it.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 21:22
    Indeed it does matter what manner of people think they are in possession of absolute truth, and whether they have the will and the power to impose it on others. Pogroms, genocides, and crusades are not perpetrated by people with doubts; they are perpetrated by people who are cocksure.

One of the things which makes peace among religions impossible in the ...[text shortened]... t the same table and talk about truth and whether any religion embodies some small aspect of it.
    Lol you really are a bigot. Tell me how many died in WWII. Tell me what religious crusade caused it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 21:25
    Are you 100% certain that your truth is correct?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 21:37

One of the things which makes peace among religions impossible in the ...[text shortened]... t the same table and talk about truth and whether any religion embodies some small aspect of it.
    Well as soon as a disagreement occurs you have the possibility of one group imposing
    their wills upon someone else, or several groups struggling for a say or piece of the pie.
    I have no doubt truth is not the main and only motivational force in our conflicts, fights,
    and wars, I am quite sure they occur for a lot less.

Religions disagree mainly because people are in them and people have a hard time
    agreeing even when they are all in the same religion. There is also those that just want
    what they want, and they know if the can create a lighting rod by using religion, they can
    get more people to rally to them, making their cause more powerful.

With respect to singular and plural truth, I image that rests on the topic at hand as much
    as the people sitting at the table talking.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 02:22
    Well as soon as a disagreement occurs you have the possibility of one group imposing
    their wills upon someone else, or several groups struggling for a say or piece of the pie.
    I have no doubt truth is not the main and only motivational force in our conflicts, fights,

Religions disagree mainly becau ...[text shortened]... th, I image that rests on the topic at hand as much
    If people are the problem then it seems religion is man made.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 13:46
    Lol you really are a bigot. Tell me how many died in WWII. Tell me what religious crusade caused it.
    Whether under the banner of religion or political ideology matters little. People convinced they have a monopoly on Absolute Truth cause endless misery.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 13:56

Religions disagree mainly becau ...[text shortened]... th, I image that rests on the topic at hand as much
    We can leave aside for one moment the fact some people misuse religion for ignoble ends and turn religion into a lightning rod which attracts people for reasons which have nothing to do with saving souls.
    Suppose you wanted peace among nations (in a political sense) and you thought that some sort of conference to talk things over would be a good way to start working towards achieving that noble goal. So somebody invites ambassadors from all nations to a conference, and the first thing he lets everyone know is that he thinks his nation is the only true nation, that all other nations are false nations or fake nations and that God really did not want the other nations to exist at all. How far do you think anyone is going to get towards peace among nations with an attitude like that?
    The religions of the Book have this unshakeable conviction that theirs is the only true religion, and so long as they hold fast to that, there will be no effective dialog among religions. It’s not just about doctrinal disagreements, which could, in principle, be ironed out or accommodated. It’s about mutual respect, and where that is precluded from the git-go, peace among religions remains an unreachable goal.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 14:48
    Whether under the banner of religion or political ideology matters little. People convinced they have a monopoly on Absolute Truth cause endless misery.
    So stopping the Nazis was immoral...gotcha.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 15:10
    So stopping the Nazis was immoral...gotcha.
    As nobody has said or implied that, I can only take that as a statement.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 15:20
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    As nobody has said or implied that, I can only take that as a statement.
    Was not asking you numbnuts
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 15:21
    Was not asking you numbnuts
    I know, Fopdoodle.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 16:44
    If people are the problem then it seems religion is man made.
    If you go to God outside of Christ it doesn’t matter what religion you claim to belong to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree