1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 19:31
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Well to give you the benefit of the doubt, it certainly seems that you have no desire for truth. 😉
    The only desire I currently have is for you never to speak to me again, I will not be replying to you again.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 19:382 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    The only desire I currently have is for you never to speak to me again, I will not be replying to you again.
    It's not surprising, since you don't seem to desire to know the truth. 😀

PS: You remind me of the times when I was two years old and when I used to sulk like that. You certainly need to grow up.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 19:53
    I disagree with both the premise that greatness is born of understanding and with that of the desire for truth bringing about the best in man. I am not even happy agreeing that man even has a desire for truth.
    What is greatness if not a demonstration of newfound understanding?

You don't see man as naturally inquisitive?
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 20:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Yes it is. Think about it a while.
    Only if survival is egotistical. I think that is stretching the definition of the word "egotistical" somewhat.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 20:58
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Only if survival is egotistical. I think that is stretching the definition of the word "egotistical" somewhat.
    This may just be a case of semantics. You said "egotistical" in your post. However within the context of our discussion I assumed you meant "egoistic". If you meant "egotistical", I'm at a loss as to your point.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:06
    What is greatness if not a demonstration of newfound understanding?

You don't see man as naturally inquisitive?
    I don;t see the link between understanding and greatness at all, perhaps you'd like to explain it.

Man is certainly inquisitive, in fact I believe our normative state is such. This does not necessarily equate to a search for truth.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:10
    I don;t see the link between understanding and greatness at all, perhaps you'd like to explain it.

Man is certainly inquisitive, in fact I believe our normative state is such. This does not necessarily equate to a search for truth.
    Perhaps you need to define 'greatness'. Maybe your definition is different than mine.

If not a search for truth, then what?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:14
    Perhaps you need to define 'greatness'. Maybe your definition is different than mine.

If not a search for truth, then what?
    Greatness is merely exceeding the established norm in a positive way.

When you say truth you are establishing the question as propositional in nature. But it seems to me there are a great many questions which have no answer in truth: aesthetical or relative judgements for example.

Questions do not always have answers and even if they do, they do not always have ones with truth values.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:25
    This may just be a case of semantics. You said "egotistical" in your post. However within the context of our discussion I assumed you meant "egoistic". If you meant "egotistical", I'm at a loss as to your point.
    They have similar meaning. I'll use egoistic in the future if you prefer though.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:28
    Greatness is merely exceeding the established norm in a positive way.

When you say truth you are establishing the question as propositional in nature. But it seems to me there are a great many questions which have no answer in truth: aesthetical or relative judgements for example.

Questions do not always have answers and even if they do, they do not always have ones with truth values.
    Sorry but I see nothing 'great' about exceeding the established norm.

You have a pretty narrow definition for "truth" there.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:30
    Sorry but I see nothing 'great' about exceeding the established norm.

You have a pretty narrow definition for "truth" there.
    So where are your definitions then?
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 22:01
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    They have similar meaning. I'll use egoistic in the future if you prefer though.
    Getting back on topic: Yes, I see fighting over food and water as being self-centered.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 22:17
    So where are your definitions then?
    Greatness would be exceptionally outstanding. In my mind, at the very least it would demonstrate exceptional understanding if not newfound understanding. Bonus for a quantum leap in understanding.

Truth would involve the ultimate reality and not just true / false propositions.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 22:23
    Greatness would be exceptionally outstanding. In my mind, at the very least it would demonstrate exceptional understanding if not newfound understanding. Bonus for a quantum leap in understanding.

Truth would involve the ultimate reality and not just true / false propositions.
    I still can't see how understanding and greatness are linked and I think your definition of truth is bizarre, what is ultimate reality exactly? I don't even understand such a term. Could you elucidate?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 22:291 edit
    I still can't see how understanding and greatness are linked and I think your definition of truth is bizarre, what is ultimate reality exactly? I don't even understand such a term. Could you elucidate?
    Are you just messing with me?

Take any work of art or music that you consider 'great' and explain what makes it great.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree