1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 21:12
    Originally posted by Starrman
    That's not what my argument was at all. Perhaps you should go back to the start and refresh yourself. I'm also still waiting for your explanation of how greatness and understanding are intrinsically linked.
    So what is it that an artist brings in creating a masterpiece if not "a deep understanding of color, line, texture, composition, shape, space, etc."?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 21:23
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I would give up these things and I would say I have given a lot of thought to our debate a while ago and whilst I still would maintain a Christian theology I can see more of what you were saying now about self and pride. I gave you quite a hard time so in the spirit of your thread would you accept an apology?
    Of course. Sounds like you've had a breakthrough. You don't know how glad I am to hear it. Thank you.
  3. Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 05:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Of course. Sounds like you've had a breakthrough. You don't know how glad I am to hear it. Thank you.
    Now only if our world leaders could behave as noble and mature as you two just did, that would be heaven on earth indeed.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 18:14
    Originally posted by Varqa
    Now only if our world leaders could behave as noble and mature as you two just did, that would be heaven on earth indeed.
    It would definitely solve some problems, but I'm thinking there's way too much ego involved in desiring such a position that there's little danger of that happening.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 18:58
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Yes , I have had a spiritual awakening recently , still within the Christian framework though. However , I felt a bit sheepish about how I responded to you. I think all those who believe in spirituality and love should be able to unite in some way behind compassion and love and justice and truth. I appreciate your acceptance of my apology.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 21:02
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    See, I think of "great" as meaning "really good" and "good" as being an ethical word. Ethics is rarely a factor in dealing with loved ones, so I think "great" is undefined when talking about taking bullets for them, and I can't think of a reason why preferring a stranger's life to one's own has any positive or negative ethical value, given that a stran ...[text shortened]... rd, not an ethical one, but I also think the situation is completely analogous.
    I'm not clear on your use of 'good' Do you mean 'good' as in lacking intent or action to harm in any way, or is there some positive value to your 'good'? I was thinking about Eudaimonia today and it seems the notion of 'flourishing' as bbarr put forward is a better translation than 'happiness', since not only do I have a hard time understanding what it means to be good, but also because I can understand 'flourishing' better, in reflection of my relativist views.

I don't attribute the term 'good' to greatness since the term is not only too broad, but also because I'm not convinced greatness is an ethical notion. I'm not sure what the necessary conditions of greatness are, but it seems to me that there are acts of greatness which would not fit with your notion of good. Aesthetic greatness is a good place to start. In your definition one man's masterpiece is another man's abhoration, but by mine, both pieces could be great, since they may have exceeded the expected norm.

Firing a bullet could be a great act in some circumstances. Ethically wrong, but possibly great nonetheless. It depends on how your morals lay and what the act achieves. One might say assassinating Hitler would have been a great act and I'd be inclined to agree, it would have saved many people's lives. However, I think it is a morally wrong act to kill any other human being for any reason other than self defence.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 22:12
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Yes , I have had a spiritual awakening recently , still within the Christian framework though. However , I felt a bit sheepish about how I responded to you. I think all those who believe in spirituality and love should be able to unite in some way behind compassion and love and justice and truth. I appreciate your acceptance of my apology.
    I sent you a message

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree