1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 18:341 edit
    What are willing to do to achieve this?

    Is there anything you wouldn't do?

    EDIT:
    Perhaps I need to be more specific.

    Would you be willing to give up your "self" to achieve this? Or to put it another way, would you be willing to give up your ego, greed, seeking sensory experiences, etc. and live a life based on truth, love, justice, etc. ? If not, why not?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    29 Mar '07 18:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What are willing to do to achieve this?

    Is there anything you wouldn't do?
    I personally think this is a pointless venture, so there's a great deal I would not do.
  3. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Joined
    13 Jul '05
    Moves
    13232
    29 Mar '07 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne


    Is there anything you wouldn't do?
    I won't concede to anyone who is wrong or any philosophy, religion, or system of government/society which I do not believe is correct, I will not change my opinions merely for the sake of "harmony" (for logic I would though).
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 19:02
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I personally think this is a pointless venture, so there's a great deal I would not do.
    You see having peace and harmony amongst all men as "pointless"?

    Dare I ask what you see as the point?
  5. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Joined
    13 Jul '05
    Moves
    13232
    29 Mar '07 19:03
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You see having peace and harmony amongst all men as "pointless"?

    Dare I ask what you see as the point?
    The point of what? Life?

    I'd say the point of life is what you want the point of your life to be. Everyone should not have some uniform goal, or even neccesarily have a goal, it is between them and themselves.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 19:09
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    The point of what? Life?

    I'd say the point of life is what you want the point of your life to be. Everyone should not have some uniform goal, or even neccesarily have a goal, it is between them and themselves.
    Yes, life.

    So basically you're saying you'd be willing to change nothing about yourself to make this come about. Is this correct?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 19:16
    I can see where this is going.

    Perhaps I need to be more specific.

    Would you be willing to give up your "self" to achieve this? Or to put it another way, would you be willing to give up your ego, greed, seeking sensory experiences, etc. and live a life based on truth, love, justice, etc. ? If not, why not?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    29 Mar '07 19:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What are willing to do to achieve this?

    Is there anything you wouldn't do?
    If you want to achieve this, probably you won't have very many humans on the planet - so genocide would probably be a good start.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 19:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    If you want to achieve this, probably you won't have very many humans on the planet - so genocide would probably be a good start.
    What do you see as the sticking point?
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Joined
    13 Jul '05
    Moves
    13232
    29 Mar '07 20:26
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I can see where this is going.

    Perhaps I need to be more specific.

    Would you be willing to give up your "self" to achieve this? Or to put it another way, would you be willing to give up your ego, greed, seeking sensory experiences, etc. and live a life based on truth, love, justice, etc. ? If not, why not?
    You're imposing your own philosophy on the rest of us.

    I think I do live a life based on truth (and seeking truth), love, and justice. I think I can persue these goals within myself and the world while still having a substancial ego, enjoying life and sensory experiences, and making some money and material possesions on the side.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    29 Mar '07 20:41
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow

    I think I do live a life based on truth (and seeking truth), love, and justice.
    Wonderful. I've been hoping that somebody could explain to me what truth, love and justice are.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    29 Mar '07 20:55
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You see having peace and harmony amongst all men as "pointless"?

    Dare I ask what you see as the point?
    It's an essential part of humanity that we have conflict, it brings out the best in us: the most amazing works of art, literature, music: the greatest moments of honour and selflessness: the perseverance for what is right; all these things come out of the harshest times. I'd hate to see a world in which there were no conflict. Whilst I have no wish to see people harmed or suffer, I likewise have no desire to see a world where there was no moments of real greatness. That world would be fundamentally boring and utterly inhuman.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    29 Mar '07 21:00
    Originally posted by Starrman
    That world would be fundamentally boring and utterly inhuman.
    Harmony as a well-run shopping mall.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    29 Mar '07 21:36
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What do you see as the sticking point?
    Whenever people interact over a finite resource, there will be conflict. The only way to avoid that is by reducing human density, since resources will never be infinite.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Mar '07 23:48
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    You're imposing your own philosophy on the rest of us.

    I think I do live a life based on truth (and seeking truth), love, and justice. I think I can persue these goals within myself and the world while still having a substancial ego, enjoying life and sensory experiences, and making some money and material possesions on the side.
    The next time you witness a transgression (no matter how egregious), perhaps you'll find comfort in knowing that the perpetrator likely thinks he lives "a life based on truth (and seeking truth), love, and justice...while still having a substancial ego, enjoying life and sensory experiences, and making some money and material possesions on the side."
Back to Top