1. Joined
    01 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 17:18
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I think that the passage someone is refering to is [b]Isaiah 64:6.

In the Recovery Version it reads this way:

"For all of us became like him who is unclean, and all our righteousness are like a soiled garment;

And we all wither like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, carry us away. "

The King James Version probably reads "filthy rags" where the RcV reads "a soiled garment".[/b]
    in the new century version the passage reads

all of us are dirty with sin. all the right things we have done are like filthy pieces of cloth.

as far as i am concerned all it means is that coz we have lived such sinful lives we cannot clear our souls with good deeds alone we need self sacrifice to really clear it. also think about when the passage was written. Most of the bible is centuries old and values have changed.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 23:352 edits
    Dudefromabove,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    as far as i am concerned all it means is that coz we have lived such sinful lives we cannot clear our souls with good deeds alone we need self sacrifice to really clear it. also think about when the passage was written. Most of the bible is centuries old and values have changed.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The changing of the times does not effect this matter.

The passing of centries or the shifting of cultural values don't
    change our sin natures. Man is poisoned. Man is constituted with a Satanic element that places him guilty before the law of God.

And "Because out of the works of the law no flesh shall be justified before Him ..." (Romans 1:20a) is not changed by the passing of many centries.

The good news is that the redemption that Christ accomplished for all mankind is "an eternal redemption". Its effectiveness is for eternity. And our need for it is also a matter of eternity.

If your New Century Bible is a paraphrase which tends to lead the reader to believe otherwise, I would seriously look into getting a less paraphrase version and obtain a more faithful translation. I will list a few which will be great to adaquate:

The Recovery Version www.recoveryversion.org

John Nelson Darby's New Translation

1901 American Standard Bible

New American Standard Bible

Amplified Bible

Ryrie's Translation

New King James

My favorite is the Recovery Version, with study notes.
  3. Joined
    01 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 12:57
    You may have a point but have you ever considered the setting of the Isaih book?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree