1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '11 06:43
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (If I understand your posting history it goes something like this)
    It's your opinion that the bible contains the truth whereas I only have opinions about spirituality, right?
    Lol... talk about philosophical nonsense.
    Why, oh why is your opinion the truth and mine only an opinion?
    (I claim to have my opinions come directly from the source whereas you claim to get it second-hand from the bible ... Hmmmm)
    Do you see any quotes about scripture in this conversation from me?
    I'm not even aware of any scripture that deals with this topic.
    I think you should deal with the topic and points of views being expressed
    and leave the compaints about scripture or the Bible to those that are actually
    bringing them into the discussion as you have.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 May '11 07:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (If I understand your posting history it goes something like this)
    It's your opinion that the bible contains the truth whereas I only have opinions about spirituality, right?
    Lol... talk about philosophical nonsense.
    Why, oh why is your opinion the truth and mine only an opinion?
    (I claim to have my opinions come directly from the source whereas you claim to get it second-hand from the bible ... Hmmmm)
    When an opinion disagrees with the Book of Truth, then,
    that opinion is flat out wrong. As I pointed out before, one
    of the people that evolutionist and atheist have looked to for
    scientific knowledge, Stephen Hawking, has concluded that
    both the universe and time had a beginning and will also
    have an end. The first words in the Holy Bible, the Book of Truth,
    says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
    Therefore, Stephen Hawking is right that time and the universe
    had a beginning; but he has yet to conclude that God caused it.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 May '11 11:13
    Originally posted by vistesd
    “Time had a beginning” is a strictly nonsensical statement.

Similarly, “Time and space are effects that must have a cause,” is a strictly nonsensical statement.

—It is not just the words that are nonsensical, but the (pseudo-) concepts that the words attempt to express.

Please discuss why you think ...[text shortened]... or not true—or not really propositions at all…. Thanks in advance for all considered responses.
    Excellent post vistesd. Just the sort of thing that stimulates good discussions.

Beginning--The start of an event.

Time--A point on the continuum of eternity. A moment in the now.

Eternity--The never ending, never beginning, now.

I believe that space, matter, and time did not always exist. They exist 'now'.

"It is not just the words that are nonsensical, but the (pseudo-) concepts that the words attempt to express."

Is that so? We have senses that gather information from what is there in reality around us. We interpret that information and give it a name. To name it nonsensical, or to call something a false concept, is a denial of what our senses perceive.

It is the false perception, i.e. misnaming or misinterpretation of the information our senses give us, that is (becomes) the pseudo-concept.

Seriously doubt I got it right, but that's as close as I can come at the moment.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    Is that so? We have senses that gather information from what is there in reality around us. We interpret that information and give it a name. To name it nonsensical, or to call something a false concept, is a denial of what our senses perceive.

It is the false perception, i.e. misnaming or misinterpretation of the information our senses give us, that is ...[text shortened]... do-concept.

Seriously doubt I got it right, but that's as close as I can come at the moment.
    He is referring to the use of words in ways that do not make sense, such as when you say:
    The phrase 'did not always' directly implies the existence of a point in time or range of time that, in the rest of the sentence, you say that time did not exist.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am not convinced that is nonsensical. I believe that is is currently not known whether or not time is finite in either direction.
    I believe it is possible that:
    1. Time is infinite in both directions.
    2. Time is finite only in the past.
    3. Time is finite only in the future.
    4. Time is finite in both directions.

If time is finite in the past, the ...[text shortened]... comes before the beginning of a cup being filled with water! Clearly nonsensical.
    I think you over-thought the ideas when you offered the cup of water analogy. You cannot continue taking water from the cup once it is emptied; cannot take more out than was in in the first place!
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:41
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The following is a quote from your post to me which is corrected to
    say what you should have said:

I am a follower of the truth, and admit that in my observations that I
    have got some things right, some things partially right, and some things
    flat out wrong.
    And you should've said: "I bow down to you Charlie, my Overlord forever,Amen." ;]
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Do you see any quotes about scripture in this conversation from me?
    I'm not even aware of any scripture that deals with this topic.
    I think you should deal with the topic and points of views being expressed
    and leave the compaints about scripture or the Bible to those that are actually
    bringing them into the discussion as you have.
    Kelly
    Ok. Deal
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    When an opinion disagrees with the Book of Truth, then,
    that opinion is flat out wrong. As I pointed out before, one
    of the people that evolutionist and atheist have looked to for
    scientific knowledge, Stephen Hawking, has concluded that
    both the universe and time had a beginning and will also
    have an end. The first words in the Holy Bible, the Book o ...[text shortened]... ht that time and the universe
    had a beginning; but he has yet to conclude that God caused it.
    Well "He" should hurry up already. We're getting impatient and losing faith down here...
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:47
    Does anyone else here entertain the notion that time could've happened,(ie. Big Bang), in this part of the universe but something else is happening in another part of it?
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:18
    Thanks for all the comments thus far. The following is an outline to indicate roughly where I’m coming from—

I. Propositional thought.

All of this I intend to apply only to what I’ll call “propositional” thought and speech—that thinking where we are trying to develop and express truth claims. Poetry, for example, need not be sensible at all in order to evoke an intended feeling via the musicality of language (such as “Jabberwocky” ).

II. Senseless versus sensible, but just wrong.

A senseless statement, or a senseless thought, is different from one that is simply wrong.

“The wind started to blow, then it blew for awhile, then the wind stopped blowing.”

This statement, I suggest, is not senseless; it is just wrong. We have a clear sense of what it means to describe. But it is not strictly accurate (perhaps it can be taken as metaphorical): there is either wind or there is not. It is a sort of superstitious thinking to imagine that there is wind that may or may not “decide” to blow; perhaps it is thought expressed in that kind of language—unduly divorced from its intended “language game” (e.g., metaphor) that leads to ideas like the “wind spirit” or the “wind god”.

A potentially senseless statement (or thought):

“Outside of space nothing exists.”

If “outside” here means “other than” (a common, ordinary usage), then it may just be saying that (a) all existence is within spatial dimensionality, or (b) space is all that exists; the former is a sensible and perhaps correct statement, the latter is a sensible but likely incorrect statement.

However, if “outside space” is meant in its literal meaning, then the statement is strictly senseless—“outside” makes no sense except in terms of spatial dimensionality. There can be no “outside space”. It is a senseless thought.

Similarly, if “nothing exists” that there is a something called “nothing”—say, infinitely extended space—then it is senseless. If it is only a way of saying that no thing can exist other than spatially—i.e., that existence is per se spatial—then it might be wrong, but it is not senseless.

III. The grammatical seduction.

It seems that we can be seduced into thinking that we’re actually thinking (or saying) something that makes sense, because our thoughts or statements are grammatical. There was nothing ungrammatical about the thought, “Outside of space nothing exists”. Similarly, the following statement is perfectly grammatical, but senseless:

“Before there was any ‘before’, when there was no ‘when’, time had not yet begun.”

This sentence, as a propositional statement, is absolutely senseless. It is senseless in just the same way that the phrase “outside of space” is senseless. There can be no “outside” “outside of space”. There can be “before” before time; “before”—like “when” and “beginning” and ending” and “happening”, etc.—are all ideas that depend on time.

Why is this sentence senseless, and not just wrong? Because it expresses, not just a wrong or a right concept—but something that cannot even be tested for rightness or wrongness (truth or falsity) because it has no sense that could be tested. That is, there is no possible world in which it could makes sense. It is self-contradictory or incoherent to talk this way—or to think this way.
    NOTE that I have simply substituted certain “time words” for the word time itself here, in order to highlight the nonsensicalness—to say that time “began” is just as senseless on it s face (“When did time begin?” )

Now, we might think that someone who spoke this way is just confused, or at least expressing herself in a confusing manner. To find out, we might ask questions to see she really has a sensible thought that she is just not getting out, or that her thinking is confused, but can be clarified.

NOTE: This does not just apply to others, but to ourselves. I bit of self-vigilance is required in order to make sure that we ourselves are making sense to ourselves, and not to be seduced by grammar.

IV. Bewitchment by language.

Being seduced by grammar into thinking that we are making sense (to ourselves as well as others) is an example of Wittgenstein called “bewitchment by language”—

“Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language.”
    —Wittgenstein

But it’s not just grammar that can seduce us into nonsensical thinking and speaking. Another quote from W.: “An inappropriate expression is a sure means of remaining stuck in confusion. It, as it were, bars the way out.” Or, to use Freaky’s term: we may end up misleading both ourselves and others.

Sometimes perfectly good expressions in one context (language game) can become senseless in another context (language game). This can happen, for example, when we try to apply language from the domain of the natural world to metaphysics. And I think, thus far, as I read Wittgenstein, that this is the locus of his main objection—that it is when we try to move beyond the limits of what we can “philosophize” (think) about coherently, then we can lapse into incoherence without realizing it.

For W., one has to analyze what language game is going on in order to say whether or not a statement makes sense. Sense (meaning) is context dependent. [Of course, I barred context from my opening “propositions”—but the very context of this forum comes into play.]

Again, thanks. I’ll make some responses to some of the posts, and then see where it goes. I want to stress that I am exploring this question myself, and am not sure that I am correct. Please take my “argument” more as questions that I am asking myself, but bouncing off all of you—drawing on the thoughts of the community so to speak.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:19
    To Freaky:

I think that your statement about how we have to understand things—i.e., “to gauge and consider phenomena”—based on our existential limitations is correct. But then you have to stop there. You continue on with language that, albeit far more complex and sophisticated than my original “time propositions” is not really any more sensible.

Once you say that we cannot understand (because we are inescapably bound by our existential conditions, including the “grammar” or our consciousness), it is useless to pretend that we can understand simply by using a concept like “the divine decree”, or “unmoved mover” or “first cause”. [I’m not picking on your own theology here: the concept of “divine decree” may very well be sensibly articulable in itself; that’s not the point.]

And to posit a God—even if that is a true posit! (theism/atheism is not my argument here)—who understands completely the cosmological mysteries, is not the same as positing that we can understand in any way the understanding of the God, or perhaps even what the concept of “understanding” means for such a being. Here our speech can become an expression of awe or wonder—perhaps at a sense of the largeness of the mystery that we confront. We can rhapsodize with poetry.

But we really have to leave the language of truth-proposition. Otherwise, we end up making ever more complicated statements (working ever more complicated thoughts through our brains), and bewitching ourselves even further. As I have noted to both Taoman and Epi recently, I am not (clearly not!) immune from that.

[This is not the subject here either, really, but you can see why I suggest that a great deal—if not most—of religious language, scriptural or otherwise, has to be taken as a different kind of discourse than truth-propositional. Conrau has written about this better than I; I forget the thread, though.]
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:20
    To RJ:

Thank you for bringing in Hawking. That certainly puts a sharp point on this discussion.

But I have to suggest that Hawking’s words here also have no sense. Perhaps he dislikes running up against the limits of his own (prodigious to be sure) intellect, and is also subject to the seduction of thinking that he has said something sensible. [But--see my interchange with TW and Karoly...]

Also, in the face of your and others’ comments, I want to make more clear that I am not talking about the physical universe at all (just as I am not addressing whether or not there is God). I am strictly talking about sense versus nonsense—in our thought as well as our expressions of that thought—which, as Freaky brings home to me (intentionally or not), may stem from our desire to understand more than we can, even in principle, understand. Where our ability to understand stops, there the language of propositional truth claims also must stop—or else such “propositions” become so much nonsense. (Again, I am not immune.) Other kinds of language may be just fine.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:21
    To Twhitehead:

Hmmm! I don’t think I agree. Finiteness implies a boundary. “Boundless” might be a better term here than talking about finity or infinity? (Which terms themselves imply time.) What could possibly be said about the boundary that separates time from __________ what?

I also would not say that the lines of longitude “have” a “beginning”. We simply are free to pick any place from which to measure and call that the beginning—but it is really just the beginning of our measurement. However, I would not say that the language about “starting at the north pole”, etc. is senseless, as long as it is understood (quasi-?) metaphorically to mean that’s where we begin our mapping process.

That is, whether or not these statements make sense depends on the language-game context.

See my reply to Karoly...
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:21
    To Karoly:

The quote that your comment about measurement made me think about is this—

“There is one thing of which one can state neither that it is 1 metre long, nor that it is not 1 metre long, and that is the standard metre in Paris. –But this is, of sourse, not to ascribe any remarkable property to it, but only to mark its peculiar role in the game of measuring with a metre-rule. … In this game, it is not something that is represented, but is a means of representation.”

—Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, ¶50.

Now, Twhitehead has brought measurement into the equation as well (see my response to his post); and it may be that distinguishing between the “language game” of measuring, and the “language game” of (say) physical description, points the way that the statement “time has a beginning” might make sense. My reply to him is likely inadequate, but I will await his further response (after all, he corrected me in just such a way in another thread very recently! 🙂 ).
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 May '11 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Excellent post vistesd. Just the sort of thing that stimulates good discussions.

Beginning--The start of an event.

Time--A point on the continuum of eternity. A moment in the now.

Eternity--The never ending, never beginning, now.

[b]"It is not just the words that oncept.

[/b]Thanks, Joe. Twhitehead's reply to you is correct. However, you are right to clarify that the "problem" is not with the world (including God, if there be a God), but with our thinking about and attempting to interpret the world. Further however, note the comments about context and language games; a particular interpretive strategy (interpretive game) may do quite well in one context, but not another. The "measurement context" that has been raised (not by me, sadly 😉 ) I think is a good illustration.

EDIT: This is in some ways a continuation of the discussion that you and I and others had some years ago about the meaning of "meaning".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree