1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 13:27
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I'm trying to figure out how the whole thing became some attempt at comedy and then got shot down for not being funny. I never found it funny. I just found it to be a fine argument using a hypothetical we can all understand and relate to.
    The OP claimed to be satire, and satire is supposed to be funny.

This whole forum needs to go watch some comedy clips on YouTube. Start with Jon Stewart or John Oliver. Then maybe you'll learn what satire is.
  2. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 15:09
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The OP claimed to be satire, and satire is supposed to be funny.

This whole forum needs to go watch some comedy clips on YouTube. Start with Jon Stewart or John Oliver. Then maybe you'll learn what satire is.
    sarcasm slash satire

I've seen tragic satire.

Satire is defined as the use of humor OR irony OR exaggeration to make a point. In this case I guess it was humor. Not that the example was humor--I think it was more of an attempt at "the joke is on you" humor.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 15:13
    sarcasm slash satire

I've seen tragic satire.

Satire is defined as the use of humor OR irony OR exaggeration to make a point. In this case I guess it was humor. Not that the example was humor--I think it was more of an attempt at "the joke is on you" humor.
    And stress the word "attempt". I wouldn't have known it was even aimed at me without him explicitly putting my name in there. If it was effective satire, he wouldn't have had to do that.
  4. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 15:15
    And stress the word "attempt". I wouldn't have known it was even aimed at me without him explicitly putting my name in there. If it was effective satire, he wouldn't have had to do that.
    Well he did explain immediately afterward that it wasn't so much an attempt at humor.

Anyway. I don't want to piss you off. You look very mean and angry in that photo.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 17:01
    Well he did explain immediately afterward that it wasn't so much an attempt at humor.

Anyway. I don't want to piss you off. You look very mean and angry in that photo.
    That's right. Don't mess with the Dogg, or you're gonna get bit.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 19:02
    That's right. Don't mess with the Dogg, or you're gonna get bit.
    LOL, good one!

More like, “Don’t mess with LittlePup or he’ll water your shoes.”
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 19:50
    sarcasm slash satire

I've seen tragic satire.

It wasn't irony or exaggeration either ... 🙄
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 03:061 edit
    I put it in there because I know this forum is frequented by some who miss clear connections. Good on you for catching that connection regardless of me making it plain to you 🙂

I wasn't sure if you could based off what you have written 😉
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 05:35
    Originally posted by @alphazero
    I put it in there because I know this forum is frequented by some who miss clear connections. Good on you for catching that connection regardless of me making it plain to you 🙂

I wasn't sure if you could based off what you have written 😉
    The only thing that's clear to me is that you're arrogant to the point of using it to mask your difficulties in communicating with other people. Your ego blinds you. 😴
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 06:28
    The only thing that's clear to me is that you're arrogant to the point of using it to mask your difficulties in communicating with other people. Your ego blinds you. 😴
    Says the LittlePup who claims to have an “advanced mind,” but doesn’t understand the concept of someone asking a question they already know the answer to.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 01:04
    Usually arrogance is most apparent to the most arrogant people...
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 03:40
    Originally posted by @alphazero
    Usually arrogance is most apparent to the most arrogant people...
    Usually?
    You have some empirical data on this or a reference?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 04:00
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Usually?
    I see you’re spamming two different forums.

Good for you, Sparky!
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 04:011 edit
    Usually?
    We tend to perceive character traits in others that we have ourselves. This is just an observation from my experience as a pastor and counsellor.

In other words, an arrogant man is most likely to perceive another as being arrogant. It is hard for vice to recognise virtue - yet, that is not true of virtue. Virtue can recognise vice very well.
  15. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 04:44
    It wasn't irony or exaggeration either ... 🙄
    Um. Yes. It was irony. The fact that you missed it makes it even more ironic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree