Pope died

Pope died

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
05 Apr 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
The Pope's views on morality were nothing new - he just reiterated what's been part of the infallible doctrine of the Church for centuries. No Pope - past, present or future - can or will change those teachings.
"infallible doctrine" - my term, but you get the point.

(CCC 2051) The infallibility of the Magisterium of the Pastors extends to all the elements of doctrine, including moral doctrine, without which the saving truths of the faith cannot be preserved, expounded, or observed.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
06 Apr 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
The Pope's views on morality were nothing new - he just reiterated what's been part of the infallible doctrine of the Church for centuries. No Pope - past, present or future - can or will change those teachings.
Just to be clear, what precisely are we including as part of that infallible doctrine:

1) Birth control?
2) Married priests?
3) Women in ordained leadership (deacons or priests)?
4) Homosexuality?

What other controversial moral doctrines are there that I might have forgotten?

I ask because I want to know precisely what we are talking about.

Nemesio

l

London

Moves
06 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
Just to be clear, what precisely are we including as part of that infallible doctrine:

1) Birth control?
2) Married priests?
3) Women in ordained leadership (deacons or priests)?
4) Homosexuality?

What other controversial moral doctrines are there that I might have forgotten?

I ask because I want to know precisely what we are talking about.

Nemesio
Birth control and homosexuality, definitely.

The marriage of priests is a disciplinary matter. At the moment, some non-Roman rites in the Church do permit married priests (though not married Bishops).

On the ordination of women, the Pope declared:

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful. (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, 1994)

It is part of the "constant and Universal Tradition of the Church", although it's not a matter of morals/doctrine, and not open to change.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
07 Apr 05
1 edit

In the Netherlands the "Catholic" mainstream media (or rather what's left of them) and the liberal and not so liberal media are pronouncing the "hope" that the next pope will be a more "modern" pope who will approve of abortion, euthanasia, homosexual relationships and unnatural birth control ........ and of course the ordination of women priests ..... I can tell them right now that there is no such chance, no way. These expectations are a built in garantee for disappointment, that of course will inspire a new wave of moral indignation and disapproval in the "objective" media.

Expecting this from the Church is one of the signs that Dutch people are becoming more and more out of touch with reality.

The Dutch silent majority parrots the liberal anti-Church propaganda, the factual misinformation and the veiled and overt hostility towards the Roman Catholic Church spreaded by the media every day. They speak the truth ..... they say .... and you can hear and see the parrot-choir singing and performing in every talkshow and documentary ........