Praising The Lord

Praising The Lord

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Apr 18

One thing I think all Christians can do more of is praising the Lord for who He is and for His faithful love and mercy that endure forever.

What are some of your favorite praise verses?

Here’s a great praise Psalm to get the ball rolling:

“O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.

O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever:

The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever:

The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him that smote Egypt in their firstborn: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And brought out Israel from among them: for his mercy endureth for ever:

With a strong hand, and with a stretched out arm: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him which divided the Red sea into parts: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And made Israel to pass through the midst of it: for his mercy endureth for ever:

But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him which led his people through the wilderness: for his mercy endureth for ever.

To him which smote great kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And slew famous kings: for his mercy endureth for ever:

Sihon king of the Amorites: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And Og the king of Bashan: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And gave their land for an heritage: for his mercy endureth for ever:

Even an heritage unto Israel his servant: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever:

And hath redeemed us from our enemies: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Who giveth food to all flesh: for his mercy endureth for ever.

O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.”

(Psalm 136)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Apr 18

“Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;”

(Psalm 103:1-4)

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
22 Apr 18

Philippians 1:9-11
And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Ephesians 1:5,6
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Apr 18

I wonder if this is a classic case of thumbing down the poster rather the post.

Moves
22 Apr 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
I wonder if this is a classic case of thumbing down the poster rather the post.
Or maybe a collective groan of him creating yet another thread like the 'Favorite Psalms/Bible Verses' thread where he can dump biblical quotes without dialogue.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
22 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Or maybe a collective groan of him creating yet another thread like the 'Favorite Psalms/Bible Verses' thread where he can dump biblical quotes without dialogue.
The dialogue is with God.

Moves
22 Apr 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @secondson
No it isn't.

Edit: A little more abrupt than I had intended. (Had to let the dog out). - What I meant, was that this is a 'human forum,' intended for dialogue with each other.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Apr 18

Do you people know the scripture?
Talk to God in private.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. (Matthew 6:5-8 KJV)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Apr 18

Then take it out of here!

Moves
22 Apr 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @divegeester
Then take it out of here!
I think, if a truly pious poster wanted to create a thread to praise God, (through biblical quotes) I wouldn't really have an issue with it. - The rub with Romans is that he does this after coming from another thread where he has been posting disingenuously and as far removed from Christian values as one could get. He uses this kind of thread as a personal baptism to repeatedly wash away the sins we all have to endure daily in other threads.

Ghost. The voice of reason.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
I think, if a truly pious poster wanted to create a thread to praise God, (through biblical quotes) I wouldn't really have an issue with it. - The rub with Romans is that he does this after coming from another thread where he has been posting disingenuously and as far removed from Christian values as one could get. He uses this kind of thread as a personal baptism to repeatedly wash away the sins we all have to endure daily in other threads.
I see you’re cluttering up another thread intended to honor God with ad hominem attacks and off-topic posts.

I have every right to ask questions relevant to an OP or post of yours. In the case I believe you’re referencing, I asked how you as an atheist could present the position and beliefs of a Christian while simultaneously ignoring a Christian’s beliefs because you’re an atheist.

If you want to present the position/beliefs of a Christian, you have to include what Christians believe in stating his or her position and not leave it out because you personally don’t think it’s true.

That something so self-evident eludes you is surprising. What’s not surprising is your refusal to acknowledge your obvious mistakes.

I won’t be responding to more of your nonsense in this thread, but ask that you more carefully consider what you write before posting.

Moves
22 Apr 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @romans1009
I see you’re cluttering up another thread intended to honor God with ad hominem attacks and off-topic posts.

I have every right to ask questions relevant to an OP or post of yours. In the case I believe you’re referencing, I asked how you as an atheist could present the position and beliefs of a Christian while simultaneously ignoring a Christian’s be ...[text shortened]... nonsense in this thread, but ask that you more carefully consider what you write before posting.
No. - Have you considered that the best way to 'praise the Lord' is to post with integrity in all the other threads you contribute to?

Ghost. The voice of reason.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009

I have every right to ask questions relevant to an OP or post of yours. In the case I believe you’re referencing, I asked how you as an atheist could present the position and beliefs of a Christian while simultaneously ignoring a Christian’s be ...[text shortened]... nonsense in this thread, but ask that you more carefully consider what you write before posting.
Is it difficult to be a pubescent juvenile asshat most of the time and pompous self-righteous asshat the rest of the day?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Apr 18
1 edit

Watchman Nee on The Sacrifice of Praise from experience.

https://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?id=2291C0

As you learn to praise, you will find that there are days in which you cannot gather yourself to praise. Perhaps you praised God seven times today, yesterday, and the day before. Perhaps you praised Him a week or a month ago. But one day you will find that you cannot utter a praise. On such days you are in pain, total darkness, or dire trouble. On such days you suffer misunderstanding and slander. You are busy shedding tears of self-pity. How can you praise God on such days? You cannot praise because you are wounded, suffering pain, and in difficulty. You feel that the most obvious response would be complaint rather than praise. You feel that the most obvious thing to do would be to murmur rather than give thanks. You do not feel like praising, and you have no intention to praise. You feel that praise is not suitable under this kind of circumstance and mood. At that very moment, you should remember that Jehovah’s throne has not changed, His name has not changed, and His glory has not changed. You should praise Him simply because He is worthy of praise. You should bless Him simply because He is worthy of all blessings. Although you are in the midst of difficulties, He is still worthy to be praised. Although you are in distress, you still have to praise Him. At that moment, your praise becomes a sacrifice of praise. Your praise is like the slaughter of your fattest calf. It is like putting your dear Isaac on the altar. Your praise in tears is a sacrifice of praise. What is an offering? An offering implies wounds, death, loss, and sacrifice. You are wounded before God. You die before God. You suffer loss, and you sacrifice before God. But you realize that God’s throne is established in the heavens and cannot be shaken, and you do not hold back your praise. This is the sacrifice of praise. God desires His children to praise Him in everything and through every situation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Apr 18

From the same message by W. Nee.
This sample section called "Praise an Victory"

II. PRAISE AND VICTORY
We have seen that our praise is a sacrifice. But there is more. We have to see that praising is the way to overcome spiritual attacks. Many people say that Satan is afraid of the prayers of God’s children; he flees whenever God’s children kneel down to pray. This is why he often attacks God’s children and frustrates them from praying. This is a common attack. But we will point out another fact: Satan’s greatest attacks are not aimed at prayers; his greatest attacks are aimed at praise. This does not mean that Satan does not attack prayers. The moment a Christian prays, Satan begins to attack. It is very easy to talk to people, but the moment one prays, Satan comes with problems. He will make one feel that it is hard to pray. This is a fact. But Satan does not attack just prayer; he also attacks the praise of God’s children. The ultimate goal of Satan is to stop all praises to God. Prayer is a warfare, but praise is a victory. Prayer signifies spiritual warfare, but praise signifies spiritual victory. Whenever we praise, Satan flees. Therefore, Satan hates our praising the most. He will use all his strength to stop our praising. God’s children are foolish if they stop praising when they suffer under adverse environments and downtrodden feelings. But as they come to know God more, they will find that even a Philippian jail can become a place of songs (Acts 16:25). Paul and Silas were praising God inside the jail cell. Their praise broke loose all the jail doors.

Read more.

https://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?n