Praying for a politician's death?

Praying for a politician's death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

A conservative US congresswoman addressing a church congregation last week appeared to be praying for the US president's death when she cited Psalm 109...

"May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership. May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow."

...isn't a prayer like this an abuse of scripture and profoundly un-Christian?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 23

@fmf said
A conservative US congresswoman addressing a church congregation last week appeared to be praying for the US president's death when she cited Psalm 109...

"May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership. May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow."

...isn't a prayer like this an abuse of scripture and profoundly un-Christian?
She didn't quote the entire Psalm, only '"May his days be few; may another take his place."

This is hardly a prayer for his death and more for an end to his presidency.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
She didn't quote the entire Psalm, only '"May his days be few; may another take his place."
But isn't it "an abuse of scripture" to take one sentence out of its clear context? What Psalm 109 is about is not ambiguous.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 23

@fmf said
But isn't it "an abuse of scripture" to take one sentence out of its clear context? What Psalm 109 is about is not ambiguous.
All Christians do that. (Okay, and some atheists).

Point is, your OP was misleading.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
This is hardly a prayer for his death and more for an end to his presidency.
But why is she quoting from Psalm 109 then? If you read it, it's about hoping for a hated leader's death and wishing ill upon his children.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I disagree. If you disagree with my OP, that's fine. But it isn't misleading.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 23

@fmf said
But why is she quoting from Psalm 109 then? If you read it, it's about hoping for a hated leader's death and wishing ill upon his children.
Exactly, she cherry picked and noticeably did not say, 'May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.'

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
All Christians do that. (Okay, and some atheists).
So we agree that it is "an abuse of scripture" but I think it's an abuse because she is wishing death upon a political opponent and you think it some lesser abuse, is that right?

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Exactly, she cherry picked and noticeably did not say, 'May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.'
So you don't believe in "dog whistles" in politics?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 23

@fmf said
I disagree. If you disagree with my OP, that's fine. But it isn't misleading.
Your OP said she cited Psalm 109...

In reality, she only cited the first sentence. You added the second for sensationalism.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 23

@fmf said
So we agree that it is "an abuse of scripture" but I think it's an abuse because she is wishing death upon a political opponent and you think it some lesser abuse, is that right?
Everybody and their dog twists/abuses scripture for their own end. This doesn't change the fact she wasn't calling for the death of the president.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Your OP said she cited Psalm 109...

In reality, she only cited the first sentence. You added the second for sensationalism.
I think she quoted Psalm 109 because it is a crystal clear signal to her congregation that she is praying for the death of the president in office because Psalm 109 is about praying for the death of a leader in office. I don't think there is any "sensationalism" about calling her out as I have done.

F

Moves
11 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Everybody and their dog twists/abuses scripture for their own end. This doesn't change the fact she wasn't calling for the death of the president.
I think she was appealing to a group of people that probably do pray for President Biden's death. If you assume that they don't, that's fine. But, you DO agree that it was a political dog whistle and you DO agree that it was an abuse of scripture, right?

F

Moves
11 Feb 23
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Psalm 109 is about praying for the death of someone. The verses I quoted in the OP make that clear.

As she said: "We pray for our president..." and then what Psalm did she cite? What prayer is she referring to?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 23