Praying for a politician's death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
A conservative US congresswoman addressing a church congregation last week appeared to be praying for the US president's death when she cited Psalm 109...

"May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership. May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow."

...isn't a prayer like this an abuse of scripture and profoundly un-Christian?

I think so, yes.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@divegeester said
I’d just like to bump this, for KellyJay’s benefit.
Kelly isn't involved in this thread.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I'd like to bump this for Princess Anne's benefit.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think she was praying for a political rival to be out of office and replaced by a member of her own party. (Hence her quoting the relevant part of Psalm 109 and not the part you alone cited).
Psalm 109 is about praying for the death of a leader. When Psalm 109 says "May his days be few" it's about a leader dying not resigning. When she chose to cite Psalm 109 - she's a retail politician after all - she knew full well that her audience also knew full well that citing Psalm 109 is citing a prayer wishing for the death of someone.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
Psalm 109 is about praying for the death of a leader. When Psalm 109 says "May his days be few" it's about a leader dying not resigning. When she chose to cite Psalm 109 - she's a retail politician after all - she knew full well that her audience also knew full well that citing Psalm 109 is citing a prayer wishing for the death of someone.
As already explained, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick biblical passages and present them out of context.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@Ghost-of-a-Duke
It would seem you cannot hear the dog whistle. Fair enough, you are not Lauren Baubert's target audience.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Exactly, but he’s read it!
And there’s a million he missing out on.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
As already explained, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick biblical passages and present them out of context.
Of all the prayers she could have cherry picked, she cherry picked the one in Psalm 109.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke
It would seem you cannot hear the dog whistle. Fair enough, you are not Lauren Baubert's target audience.
I misspelled her name: it's Lauren Boebert.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
I misspelled her name: it's Lauren Boebert.
I don't think she will be following the thread to object.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
Of all the prayers she could have cherry picked, she cherry picked the one in Psalm 109.
Can you provide an alternative Psalm she could have used that referenced a change in leadership?

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Can you provide an alternative Psalm she could have used that referenced a change in leadership?
She didn't have to cite a Psalm.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think the context of "May his days be few" is Psalm 109. "May his days be few" is about death. It is not taken out of context. The whole Psalm is about praying for someone to die. So I don't think the quote is "out of context" at all. Indeed, I think its context is the very key to what she was saying.

Moves
12 Feb 23

@fmf said
I think the context of "May his days be few" is Psalm 109. "May his days be few" is about death. It is not taken out of context. The whole Psalm is about praying for someone to die. So I don't think the quote is "out of context" at all. Indeed, I think its context is the very key to what she was saying.
She took the words out of context. You did the same to hers.

F

Moves
12 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
She took the words out of context. You did the same to hers.
Nope. The context of the words was what it was all about. Oh well. So, you didn't hear the dog whistle, that's OK.