1. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 01:031 edit
    Some Christians say some particular Bible verse is literally true, while others say it was meant to be read as metaphor or hyperbole or poetry. Some say a Biblical passage was meant for some tribe living at some time in the past, but does not apply to the modern church. Some will say the modern translation is a corruption of a perfect original, so that modern believers can’t really know exactly what was meant, while others say that some modern translation is just as inerrant as they believe the original manuscripts to have been.

Preach to us your way of handling any or all of these passages.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. - Joel 2:25

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into the pigs, and he gave them permission. When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned. - Luke 8:32-33

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. – John 14:12

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. - 1 Corinthians 7:9

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. - Luke 14:26

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. - 1 Timothy 2:11

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. - 1 Corinthians 14:34

But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt. - Genesis 19:26

And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed. - Revelation 7:4

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Matthat… the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. - Luke 3:23–38
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 11:52
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Some Christians say some particular Bible verse is literally true, while others say it was meant to be read as metaphor or hyperbole or poetry. Some say a Biblical passage was meant for some tribe living at some time in the past, but does not apply to the modern church. Some will say the modern translation is a corruption of a perfect original, so that ...[text shortened]... on of Heli, the son of Matthat… the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. - Luke 3:23–38
    Preach to us about Leviticus 27 verse 2 through 7, example, 27-5: A male from the age of 5 to 20 is worth 20 shekels. A female of the same age range is worth half of that, 10 shekels. Preach to us about that verse. I'd love to hear the rational behind that, given that god itself said that.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 12:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Preach to us about Leviticus 27 verse 2 through 7, example, 27-5: A male from the age of 5 to 20 is worth 20 shekels. A female of the same age range is worth half of that, 10 shekels. Preach to us about that verse. I'd love to hear the rational behind that, given that god itself said that.
    I may be wrong on this, but I sort of read the verses as something similar to what one would do... say going to a movie, amusement park, etc. The younger the cheaper, just my thought... don't know for sure.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 12:50
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    I may be wrong on this, but I sort of read the verses as something similar to what one would do... say going to a movie, amusement park, etc. The younger the cheaper, just my thought... don't know for sure.
    If a female is the same age as a male she is still worth less so it isn't an age thing. It's a gender thing. Females are worth less to god than males if we take a literal interpretation of that.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 13:05
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If a female is the same age as a male she is still worth less so it isn't an age thing. It's a gender thing. Females are worth less to god than males if we take a literal interpretation of that.
    Like I said, I don't know... just surmising. I would have to know the intent, what was going on in the culture, etc. for such a thing. I think sometimes we look at past cultures through our current cultures eyes, may not always be the best thing to do. I believe the Jewish (time of the writing, Leviticus) society was mainly Patriarchal, whereas ours in the 21st century is not, I think that would explain some things. Just my opinion.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 13:13
    Like I said, I don't know... just surmising. I would have to know the intent, what was going on in the culture, etc. for such a thing. I think sometimes we look at past cultures through our current cultures eyes, may not always be the best thing to do. I believe the Jewish (time of the writing, Leviticus) society was mainly Patriarchal, whereas ours in the 21st century is not, I think that would explain some things. Just my opinion.
    The whole book is supposedly inspired of god. If that is so then god clearly values males more highly than females. On the other hand, if it is a cultural thing we know of at least one bit of the bible that was not inspired by god.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 14:55
    Originally posted by Kepler
    The whole book is supposedly inspired of god. If that is so then god clearly values males more highly than females. On the other hand, if it is a cultural thing we know of at least one bit of the bible that was not inspired by god.
    I agree on your first point, disagree on the second point, disagree on the third point. I have not spent time studying the passages, context, etc... other than what I have previously stated in an earlier post. So I don't really understand what is going on in the passages. I have no internal conflict about it however, God values and loves us all, more than we can know and more than we could ever love somebody else... this I believe.
  8. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 16:28
    I agree on your first point, disagree on the second point, disagree on the third point. I have not spent time studying the passages, context, etc... other than what I have previously stated in an earlier post. So I don't really understand what is going on in the passages. I have no internal conflict about it however, God values and loves us all, more than we can know and more than we could ever love somebody else... this I believe.
    But he/she/it apparently puts a higher value on males than females. Either that or that passage was not inspired by him/her/it but is a purely human addition.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 18:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This had to do with voluntary vows that people could make to the Lord to show gratitude for some blessing that they had received. He could vow himself or a member of his family or an animal or his house or a field of his own land to the Lord and according to Numbers 18:7-14 it was to be received by the priests.

In lieu of the thing vowed, a sum of money was set for what was vowed to be given to the priests instead. If a man was too poor to redeem his vow according to the sum of money set, then the priest determined a lesser amount according to his ability (verse 8).
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 19:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This had to do with voluntary vows that people could make to the Lord to show gratitude for some blessing that they had received. He could vow himself or a member of his family or an animal or his house or a field of his own land to the Lord and according to Numbers 18:7-14 it was to be received by the priests.

In lieu of the thing vowed, a sum of money ...[text shortened]... sum of money set, then the priest determined a lesser amount according to his ability (verse 8).
    The priest being a bit like a Loan Shark then? .Maximising income for his organisation without putting the "poor" person out of business,because they had a bit of good luck.What a great way to make money! Especially as the priests were the enforcement authority acting with divine right .
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 20:20
    Too much spam each book is different genesis was written a millenium before John and is set thousands of years before it was written
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 20:32
    Originally posted by OdBod
    The priest being a bit like a Loan Shark then? .Maximising income for his organisation without putting the "poor" person out of business,because they had a bit of good luck.What a great way to make money! Especially as the priests were the enforcement authority acting with divine right .
    The way I look at it -- the priests were given a lot of responsibility by God and needed to be compensated for it in some materialistic way so that they could continue helping the people do the right thing and get along together. It is pretty much the same today, because people give various offerings to God that are accepted by the priests and ministers of God to continue their good work of blessing the people.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 20:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The way I look at it -- the priests were given a lot of responsibility by God and needed to be compensated for it in some materialistic way so that they could continue helping the people do the right thing and get along together. It is pretty much the same today, because people give various offerings to God that are accepted by the priests and ministers of God to continue their good work of blessing the people.
    I think you and I studied different histories and watch different news channels.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 22:37
    Originally posted by OdBod
    I think you and I studied different histories and watch different news channels.
    Probably so, since you are British and I am American. 😏
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 23:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree