1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 04:12
    Originally posted by sumydid
    By what authority do you condescend to tell everyone what God should and shouldn't be like? Your projection of what God should be, according to your own selfish, personal viewpoint, is certainly no better than the "spin" you accuse Christians of using.

The bible takes issue with your God qualifiers. God absolutely does have what you describe as " ...[text shortened]... it. You've made your decision, but, as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
    Ok, continue serving that petty person passing itself off as a god. I just don't understand how you can worship an insane so-called god. That is no god saying those things, that is the writing of men CLAIMING to have inspiration of some god or other. There is no god in the bible, only men carving out a political empire. Oh and by the way, women are on the lowest rank, even lower than some of our animals, this was passed on to us by our LORD.

It makes me want to puke, the lies and deceptions and billions of people totally brainwashed by it all.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 05:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ok, continue serving that petty person passing itself off as a god. I just don't understand how you can worship an insane so-called god. That is no god saying those things, that is the writing of men CLAIMING to have inspiration of some god or other. There is no god in the bible, only men carving out a political empire. Oh and by the way, women are on the l ...[text shortened]... me want to puke, the lies and deceptions and billions of people totally brainwashed by it all.
    Just don't puke on me. 😏
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 00:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ok, continue serving that petty person passing itself off as a god. I just don't understand how you can worship an insane so-called god. That is no god saying those things, that is the writing of men CLAIMING to have inspiration of some god or other. There is no god in the bible, only men carving out a political empire. Oh and by the way, women are on the l ...[text shortened]... me want to puke, the lies and deceptions and billions of people totally brainwashed by it all.
    Do you believe a Creator of any kind exists? If not, do you believe it is at least possible? If you answered "no" to both, then we're done. If you answered "yes" to either or both, then I have one more question: Do you believe a Creator can have a personality?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 02:01
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I had always looked at that verse as a reference to what might be called physical-chemical miracles, like multiplying the loaves and turning water into wine and withering a fig tree just by giving it a sharp look. But I will grant you that it is possible that nonphysical things are what Jesus was referring to.
    Pointless to ask for miracles. Apostle Paul's Thorn in the Side (metaphor for some bothersome impediment which he had been given for a specific purpose) wasn't removed after three pleadings [which it wasn't] then on what presumption do we demand removal of yours or mine?
    -
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 02:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Pointless to ask for miracles. Apostle Paul's Thorn in the Side (metaphor for some bothersome impediment which he had been given for a specific purpose) wasn't removed after three pleadings [which it wasn't] then on what presumption do we demand removal of yours or mine?
    -
    Welcome back Bob....and Happy Resurrection Sunday....I think Paul's thorn was people...I will tell you my reasons later, right now I better get some sleep, early day tomorrow..🙂
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 02:34
    Originally posted by checkbaiter

Welcome back Bob....and Happy Resurrection Sunday....I think Paul's thorn was people...I will tell you my reasons later, right now I better get some sleep, early day tomorrow..🙂
    Paul was an eminent scholar of his day well accustomed to divergent viewpoints; debater's techniques; and subtle ridicule by those of low self esteen who were easily threatened by his mere presence. Still speculative but more likely his sufferings were caused by some persistent bodily ailment, though it's not given to us to know. Many celebrate the Risen Christ's Return; few, His Ascension and Secession. Thanks for the greeting.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 02:531 edit
    Pointless to ask for miracles... then on what presumption do we demand removal of yours or mine?
    -
    Recall this from the opening post of this thread:

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

I think what you are telling us is it is best to pretend that John 14:13 is not in the Holy Bible.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 03:45
    Recall this from the opening post of this thread:

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

I think what you are telling us is it is best to pretend that John 14:13 is not in the Holy Bible.
    Hardly, Paul. In context the passage is not only present but compelling. Motivation, Intent and Purpose combine to create a distinction with a difference. "Whatsoever you shall ask - This promise referred particularly to the apostles in their work of spreading the gospel; it is, however, true of all Christians, if what they ask is in faith, and according to the will of God", James 1:6; 1 John 5:14.

"In my name - This is equivalent to saying on my account, or for my sake. If a man who has money in a bank authorizes us to draw it, we are said to do it in his name. If a son authorizes us to apply to his father for aid because we are his friends, we do it in the name of the son, and the favor will be bestowed on us from the regard which the parent has to his son, and through him to all his friends. So we are permitted to apply to God in the name of his Son Jesus Christ, because God is in him well pleased Matthew 3:17, and because we are the friends of his Son he answers our requests. Though we are undeserving, yet he loves us on account of his Son, and because he sees in us his image. No privilege is greater than that of approaching God in the name of his Son; no blessings of salvation can be conferred on any who do not come in his name."

"That will I do - Being exalted, he will be possessed of all power in heaven and earth Matthew 28:18, and he therefore could fulfill all their desires." (Barnes' Notes on John 14:13)
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 03:582 edits
    ... if what they ask is in faith, and according to the will of God...
    Do you think prayer ever induces God to do things that He would not have done had He not been asked by a human to do?

If some action is the will of God, does He wait to see if somebody will ask Him to do it before actually doing it?

Does He ever take a count of prayer requests and base His response accordingly? "Eight people asked Me to do X, so I shall do it, but only three people asked me to do Y, so I shall not do that."

Are you good at self-filtering your own prayer requests, such that you only ask Him for things that you know are His will, thus being able to have absolute assurance that your requests will get answered? Or do you only know whether it was His will by asking and then waiting to see what He does or does not do?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:342 edits
    Do you think prayer ever induces God to do things that He would not have done had He not been asked by a human to do?

If some action is the will of God, does He wait to see if somebody will ask Him to do it before actually doing it?

Does He ever take a count of prayer requests and base His response accordingly? "Eight people asked Me to do X, u only know whether it was His will by asking and then waiting to see what He does or does not do?
    Please, let's not unnecessarily complicate and convolute a straigtforward question.
    God Almighty's Ominscience Knows; His Omnipotence Decides What and When.

Correction
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:46
    Please, let's not unnecessarily complicate and convolute a straigtforward question.
    God Almighty's Ominpresence Knows; His Omnipotence Decides What and When.
    Indeed, let's make it very simple.

Suppose every Bible you ever had put your hands on had John 14:13 reading like this:

And whatsoever is the Father's will, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Would that have resulted in your prayer life being any different than it actually is?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 05:02
    Indeed, let's make it very simple.

Suppose every Bible you ever had put your hands on had John 14:13 reading like this:

And whatsoever [b]is the Father's will
    , that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Would that have resulted in your prayer life being any different than it actually is?[/b]
    Fatigued, Paul. Let's try gathering up the strands during the coming week. Okay. [Best, Bobby]
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 05:411 edit
    This promise referred particularly to the apostles in their work of spreading the gospel.
    That is treading on dangerous ground, scripturally, because in Acts 10:34 and elsewhere the Bible assures us that God is no respecter of persons; He does not show favoritism.

Anyway, until next week, and I hope you enjoyed your Easter. 🙂
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 07:37
    That is treading on dangerous ground, scripturally, because in Acts 10:34 and elsewhere the Bible assures us that God is no respecter of persons; He does not show favoritism.

Anyway, until next week, and I hope you enjoyed your Easter. 🙂
    You win.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 16:14
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Do you believe a Creator of any kind exists? If not, do you believe it is at least possible? If you answered "no" to both, then we're done. If you answered "yes" to either or both, then I have one more question: Do you believe a Creator can have a personality?
    I have a lack of belief in a creator. Which is not the same thing as denying the possibility of one. It just appears so far from scientific evidence a creator is not needed for our universe to have come about. Further scientific study may change that but for now the scales for me tip to the non-created universe. I have no built in bias that I would fight for one way or the other, that is to say, I am open to further evidence.

I think that humans can eventually figure it our for themselves one way or the other. Of course that may take 10,000 years of study, who knows, which would also imply we as the human race would have to remain technological for that length of time and not run into some catastrophe that kills us all like the asteroid/comet that hit in what we now call Yucatan 65 odd million years ago. Avoiding the end of the human race and the exponential growth in knowledge we are presently enjoying, if that continues in the future for a few hundred more years we might have a real answer one way or the other.

If it turns out the scientific evidence points to a real creator god thing, I would not be pulling what is left of my hair out over the issue. I don't have much emotional commitment to the idea one way or the other, either case will be fine with me.

I don't however, believe even for one second, in the biblical god. Too many human characteristics given to such a god for it to be more than ego building, mankind controlling, women hating, totally man made religion by and for men to control all people and specifically to put women in their place, a few notches lower than men.

That alone proves to me the man made nature of your god. I will believe for the rest of my life unswervingly that a real god would introduce no such gender bias and any religion that does is undoubtedly made up by men. That leaves pretty much zero in the way of religions NOT made by men in my opinion.

That said, I still leave open the possibility for some kind of god since we are really fresh on the scene geologically and our whole solar system is fairly fresh on the scene from the standpoint of the universe so our planet and system could have come about at least 3 or 4 times, 4 billion years at a crack leaving 8 billion odd years with developments happening elsewhere in the universe so just our kind of life could possibly develop into beings we would not be able to tell apart from what we think gods would be like. They could be so far above us spiritually, intellectually, physically, life span and so forth we would not be able to tell the difference between them and what we would think a real god is.

We are so far down on the possible universe totem pole one of those alleged beings could come down to Earth and set itself up as a god and we would not know the difference.

Like the man said, a sufficiently advanced technology cannot be told from magic from our POV.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree