Preaching / Believing

Preaching / Believing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Should someone preach about Jesus, and the requirement to follow Him, along with doing good works.....if that person does not believe in Jesus, or God?
You need to upload yourself an avatar sir. Currently you have a pink circle with a C on it (which I always imagine stands for 'chump' ).

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You need to upload yourself an avatar sir. Currently you have a pink circle with a C on it (which I always imagine stands for 'chump' ).
Lol.
You have Russ to thank for my new 'avatar', which by the way, is probably better than that sickly looking cat of yours. 😀

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Lol.
You have Russ to thank for my new 'avatar', which by the way, is probably better than that sickly looking cat of yours. 😀
Get yourself an avatar sir.

I hear Mickey Mouse is still available.

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Get yourself an avatar sir.

I hear Mickey Mouse is still available.
I don't know how to change my avatar.

Care to instruct?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Should someone preach about Jesus, and the requirement to follow Him, along with doing good works.....if that person does not believe in Jesus, or God?
It depends. What do you mean by "believe in Jesus"?

I ask only because I can imagine that it is semi-valid to follow the teachings of Jesus even if one does not believe that Jesus was a deity, or that Jesus lived longer than 33 years.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
I don't know how to change my avatar.

Care to instruct?
Type 'free avatars' into google.

😵

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Type 'free avatars' into google.

😵
I need much more help than that.
New thread in GF.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
I need much more help than that.
New thread in GF.
You sure do talk a lot about avatars...

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@bigdoggproblem said
It depends. What do you mean by "believe in Jesus"?

I ask only because I can imagine that it is semi-valid to follow the teachings of Jesus even if one does not believe that Jesus was a deity, or that Jesus lived longer than 33 years.
Good point.

The term "believe in Jesus" seems to bring controversy with it, and means different things to people.

T

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Good point.

The term "believe in Jesus" seems to bring controversy with it, and means different things to people.
When Jesus was preaching His gospel He used the terms "believe Him" and "believe in Him" essentially in three different ways:  1) Believe that He has the authority to speak the word of God  
2) Believe that His words are the word of God  
3) Believe His words in and of themselves.  

Jesus did NOT use them to mean to believe in the "redemptive work on the cross for salvation" or what have you. Although Jesus never says it, many Christians think that that's how Jesus used it. Such is the power of self-delusion.

That "believe in" Him equates to believing in "His commandment", "the things [He] speak[s], "[His] sayings", "the word[s] [He] spoke" cannot be laid out much more straightforwardly than the following:  

John 12  
46 “I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.  
50 “I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”  
48 “He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.  
49 “For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.  

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear".

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
When Jesus was preaching His gospel He used the terms "believe Him" and "believe in Him" essentially in three different ways:  1) Believe that He has the authority to speak the word of God  
2) Believe that His words are the word of God  
3) Believe His words in and of themselves.  

Jesus did NOT use them to mean to believe in the "redemptive work on the cross for sal ...[text shortened]... Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.  

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear".
John 12:49, which you provided, requires the belief in God.

You cannot dispute this.

T

Moves
05 Oct 18
2 edits

@chaney3 said
John 12:49, which you provided, requires the belief in God.

You cannot dispute this.
My post was with the following in mind:
<<The term "believe in Jesus" seems to bring controversy with it, and means different things to people.>>

Thought you might be interested in understanding the "controversy". Perhaps I was mistaken.

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
My post was with the following in mind:
<<The term "believe in Jesus" seems to bring controversy with it, and means different things to people.>>

Thought you might be interested in understanding the "controversy". Perhaps I was mistaken.
According to what you wrote, along with the verses you provided, a belief in God is essential to what Jesus preached.

T

Moves
05 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
According to what you wrote, along with the verses you provided, a belief in God is essential to what Jesus preached.
Evidently you're not interested in understanding the "controversy". My mistake.

c

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
Evidently you're not interested in understanding the "controversy". My mistake.
You have not adequately stated what YOU believe the controversy is.

Don't keep re-posting. Explain in YOUR words what you're trying to say.