probability

probability

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
23 Nov 06

Evolution is either true or false. 50/50.

E

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You're wrong.
prove it.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
prove it.
The theory of evolution states that:
1. All life forms (species) have developed from other species.
2. .....
http://www.evolutionhappens.net/
(more sources are possible however not many places state what the ToE says as it's assumed most people know)

Therefore when you stated that the Theory of Evolution states that we may have evolved from earlier life forms you were in fact wrong.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
23 Nov 06

what the Evolution theory states, is that it is POSSIBLE not that it is FACT. the same goes with the creation theory.
EV, this is the classic layman's misunderstanding of the notion of a scientific theory.

Theory in science IS fact.
Theory in science doesn't mean something that is possible, or something that might be true.
When a scientific model is called a Theory it's because it has the weight of evidence to consider it a fact.

Creationism might also be considered a theory I guess, but that's irrelevant anyway since it isn't scientific.

E

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by amannion
EV, this is the classic layman's misunderstanding of the notion of a scientific theory.

Theory in science IS fact.
Theory in science doesn't mean something that is possible, or something that might be true.
When a scientific model is called a Theory it's because it has the weight of evidence to consider it a fact.

Creationism might also be considered a theory I guess, but that's irrelevant anyway since it isn't scientific.
it is possible, but i thought thats all it was; possible, not necessarily true.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
25 Nov 06
1 edit

it is possible, but i thought thats all it was; possible, not necessarily true.
And you thought wrong.

s

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Evolution is either true or false. 50/50.
is that really true - that evolution is a 50/50 chance of being true?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by snowinscotland
is that really true - that evolution is a 50/50 chance of being true?
No, of course not. Only an idiot would think such a thing. To believe that, one would have to believe that all propostions are equally likely to be true or false, since all propositions are either true or false.

s

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
No, of course not. Only an idiot would think such a thing. To believe that, one would have to believe that all propostions are equally likely to be true or false, since all propositions are either true or false.
yeah but if it can either be true or false - it is a 50/50 bet isn't it....?

😉

E

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by snowinscotland
yeah but if it can either be true or false - it is a 50/50 bet isn't it....?

😉
omg, read the rest of the posts. it can be 60/40, 30/70 not always 50/50. thats what we discussed for 7 pages, if its going to be 7 more pages count me out.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Nov 06

omg, read the rest of the posts. it can be 60/40, 30/70 not always 50/50. thats what we discussed for 7 pages, if its going to be 7 more pages count me out.
By discussed do you mean you insisted it was 50/50 and everyone else told you you were wrong and laughed in your face? Because that's what I read.

w

Moves
26 Nov 06

1. you are a theist, and you are right and you worshipped ect. and go to heaven or w/e benifits you are offered for worshipping God.
2. you are a theist and God doesn't exist, so nothing happens.
3. you are an atheist and God exists so you are punished.
4. you are an atheist and God doesnt exist so nothing happens.

so if you are a theist you hav ...[text shortened]... theist wrong, and a theist has a 1/2 chance of proving an atheist wrong so it is 50%/50%.
What is your definition of theist? If I am a christian, and the jewish god, the muslim god, the roman gods, or any other god is the true god, then I will be punished. In case you haven't noticed, there are quite a few religions out there that believe they will be saved by their god, while everyone else will be punished. So it seems to me that if you are a theist, you stand an equal chance of being punished by someone else's god as an athiest has of being punished by yours.

E

Moves
26 Nov 06

By discussed do you mean you insisted it was 50/50 and everyone else told you you were wrong and laughed in your face? Because that's what I read.
well i tried to prove it was 50/50 and i gave up. i understand the concept of probability i just really thought that it is 50/50.

E

Moves
26 Nov 06

i bet youre laughed at in real life, so you try to act cool on the internet; im cooler than you are trust me.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Nov 06

well i tried to prove it was 50/50 and i gave up. i understand the concept of probability i just really thought that it is 50/50.
No, if you understood the first thing about probability you'd know why A and ~A aren't 50/50 for all A.