"Proof of God"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Quote me I have said many things so be specific.
Kelly playing that sort of game makes you look bad.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @apathist
Kelly playing that sort of game makes you look bad.
No I am not playing, nor do I wish for you to look bad! You accused me of something then you tell me to go back out of all my posts and know which one you were referring to, and why you found what I said was wrong. I can't read your mind, so I asked you to quote me. How is that making you look bad?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Oct 17

No I am not playing, nor do I wish for you to look bad! You accused me of something then you tell me to go back out of all my posts and know which one you were referring to, and why you found what I said was wrong. I can't read your mind, so I asked you to quote me. How is that making you look bad?
I said you are making yourself look bad.

You said "Well since we have not talked about evil up till now, you are correct. If you read scripture, ..."

CLEARLY that implies you cannot tell right from wrong unless you are told how to think by some accepted authority. I'll put that another way: you cannot think, unless your holy book tells you what when and how. You aren't thinking at all, you merely follow as you were indoctrinated. Thank god you aren't all sharia or jihad, right!

Moves
15 Oct 17

I said you are making [b]yourself look bad.

You said "Well since we have not talked about evil up till now, you are correct. If you read scripture, ..."

CLEARLY that implies you cannot tell right from wrong unless you are told how to think by some accepted authority. I'll put that another way: you cannot think, unless your holy book tells ...[text shortened]... l, you merely follow as you were indoctrinated. Thank god you aren't all sharia or jihad, right![/b]
Well what compelling reason do you have for the ability to tell 'good from evil' apart from God writing His laws upon your heart? Also if God doesn't exist what exactly is good and evil apart from your personal preferences?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Well what compelling reason do you have for the ability to tell 'good from evil' apart from God writing His laws upon your heart? Also if God doesn't exist what exactly is good and evil apart from your personal preferences?
I'm assuming that last question is rhetorical (as you always seem to forget or ignore the answer).

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
I'm assuming that last question is rhetorical (as you always seem to forget or ignore the answer).
Actually I am well aware what your moral preferences are. 😵

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 17

I said you are making [b]yourself look bad.

CLEARLY that implies you cannot tell right from wrong unless you are told how to think by some accepted authority. I'll put that another way: you cannot think, unless your holy book tells ...[text shortened]... l, you merely follow as you were indoctrinated. Thank god you aren't all sharia or jihad, right![/b]
You think because I and someone else have not talked about evil yet, therefore I can't tell right and wrong unless an authority tells me? Well I am glad you pointed that out, I don't see the link, and now that I know what you are talking about I don't care either.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 Oct 17

Actually I am well aware what your moral preferences are. 😵
Yours are more evident sir, and flawed, based as they are on dusty old books. (Morality written for a different age).

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Oct 17
2 edits

You think because I and someone else have not talked about evil yet, therefore I can't tell right and wrong unless an authority tells me? Well I am glad you pointed that out, I don't see the link, and now that I know what you are talking about I don't care either.
Of course you care, or you wouldn't have responded. You say you don't see the link, so I'll explain. The subject was an issue concerning human experience, and your very first impulse was to see what an old tome written by ancient man has to say about it. As if people who didn't know what stars are, who had no clue about atoms or genetics, who were ignorant about virtually everything except when to locally plant and shear - as if they should be our guide to understanding human nature! Your first impulse has led you far astray.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Oct 17

You have no concept of good/bad or right/wrong, other than what you have been indoctrinated to believe. I get that. Thank the light from the stars that I don't labor under such a burden!

I would like everything that pisses me off to vaporize. But that would not be good. So your second question is misguided, specifically it commits a fallacy. False dichotomy, I guess.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 17

Of course you care, or you wouldn't have responded. You say you don't see the link, so I'll explain. The subject was an issue concerning human experience, and your very first impulse was to see what an old tome written by ancient man has to say about it. As if people who didn't know what stars are, who had no clue about atoms or genetics, who were ignorant ...[text shortened]... should be our guide to understanding human nature! Your first impulse has led you far astray.
I responded because I like you, but you completely went out to lunch with how took that.

Moves
16 Oct 17
1 edit

Yours are more evident sir, and flawed, based as they are on dusty old books. (Morality written for a different age).
How do you evaluate which standard is flawed without imposing an objective moral law?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Oct 17
1 edit

Just brush the dust off of your unused Bible. No problem.
You could do the same with your other unused books while you're dusting.

Has the changing of the age made any difference in things like this ?

1. Stealing is wrong.
2. Cursing out your mother or father is wrong.
3. Adultery is wrong

You are making the passage of time too important in some of these things.
The passing of ages has not effected many basic moral concepts.

Not is it that only be referring to the Bible can we get these concepts.
The human conscience quite agrees with many of them apart from a "old book".

Unfaithfulness to a faithful friend is bad in every culture in every age.
In battle bravery is held in honor in every culture down through the ages.
Whereas cowardice in battle is disdained. The passage of many diverse ages hasn't changed this.

A peeping tom is immoral whether peering through a grass hut window centuries ago or snapping a cell phone photo where you shouldn't.

If I steal your money today, do you think you will be more outraged then if someone did so 4,000 years ago?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
If you insult their beliefs, you insult them. If you refer to their God in an insulting way, you insult them.

In other words, you insult the, but then you don't care. As long as you don't think you are offending your friend, then according to you, you don't.
Edit: If you insult their beliefs, you insult them. If you refer to their God in an insulting way, you insult them.

If I really insult a belief –any belief, that is– you have to demonstrate that the specific belief you think I insulted is indeed insulted. I have the feeling that beliefs lack of cognitive properties but perhaps you can educate me. Until that time, I know it is not possible for a person to insult any kind of beliefs.
However, I do evaluate all kinds of beliefs either as parts of viable theories of reality, or as parts of untenable theories of reality. If I discard your religious concept about the entity you understand as G-d because in my opinion it is a part of a non-tenable theory of reality, I simply evaluate your specific religious belief as a part of a non-tenable theory of reality; I do not insult neither the object of your worship, nor your personage. So, if you feel insulted because I disagree with you, just take a deep breath and dive inside you. But if a post of mine referred to the entity you conceive as G-d or to anybody’s G-d in an insulting way, kindly please quote it and I will stand corrected.

Edit: In other words, you insult the, but then you don't care. As long as you don't think you are offending your friend, then according to you, you don't.

As long as I know I do not offend you but according to you I am offending you or any other theist of ours, kindly please explain how and by what means am I offending you now or did I such a thing in the past.
😵

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonship
Just brush the dust off of your unused Bible. No problem.
You could do the same with your other unused books while you're dusting.

Has the changing of the age made any difference in things like this ?

1. Stealing is wrong.
3. Adultery is wrong

You are making the passage of time too important in s ...[text shortened]... your money today, do you think you will be more outraged then if someone did so 4,000 years ago?
1. Stealing is wrong.
3. Adultery is wrong.

Did the above only come in to our consciousness with the formation of the Bible?

The point is sir, some moral principles do indeed endure over time (murder is wrong etc). But there are also other moral standard (rife in the Bible) that are thoroughly antiquated.