1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 10:48
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    1. Stealing is wrong.
    2. Cursing out your mother or father is wrong.
    3. Adultery is wrong.

Did the above only come in to our consciousness with the formation of the Bible?
    If God did not write this upon your heart, what is your basis for claiming to know it is wrong?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 10:53
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If God did not write this upon your heart, what is your basis for claiming to know it is wrong?
    Would you like a different answer than the one I provided last time? (You know, morality forged through life experiences, societal influences, the development of a moral conscience etc etc).
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 10:58
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Would you like a different answer than the one I provided last time? (You know, morality forged through life experiences, societal influences, the development of a moral conscience etc etc).
    If you say you got you morality from life experiences, societal influences, and the development of a moral conscience, then if Nazi Germany was morally wrong to put Jews to death, why was it wrong since its morals were derived in exactly the same way as yours were derived? How do you know that your morals that contradict someone else's morals are right if they derived their morals in exactly the same way that you derived yours?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 12:17
    If you say you got you morality from life experiences, societal influences, and the development of a moral conscience, then if Nazi Germany was morally wrong to put Jews to death, why was it wrong since its morals were derived in exactly the same way as yours were derived? How do you know that your morals that contradict someone else's morals are right if they derived their morals in exactly the same way that you derived yours?
    I'll direct you to the last time I answered that. Not a dodge, a direction.
  5. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Just brush the dust off of your unused Bible. No problem.
    You could do the same with your other unused books while you're dusting.

Has the changing of the age made any difference in things like this ?

1. Stealing is wrong.
    2. Cursing out your mother or father is wrong.
    3. Adultery is wrong

You are making the passage of time too important in s ...[text shortened]... your money today, do you think you will be more outraged then if someone did so 4,000 years ago?
    You don't mention that the bible says slavery is OK and how a woman should never think she is equal to a man.
    Things change with time, obvious rights and wrongs don't.
    Sacrificing animals to this "jealous" and "vengeful" God, will get you locked up nowadays. Or in Abraham's case, sacrificing HIS OWN SON! I'm sure you will explain that one away with something like; 'God was just testing Abraham and his faith to Him'. Because this was the ONLY way Abraham could understand what true faith in his God really meant. Really? The ONLY way? Ludicrous.
    Or my favorite one, the man who was gathering sticks, (to make a fire for his family) on the Sabbath, any work done on this day was/is a no-no. God caught him red-handed and told the 'chosen people' to stone him to death! And they did! God! Dude! WTF?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 03:22
    Originally posted by @xyyz
    You don't mention that the bible says slavery is OK and how a woman should never think she is equal to a man.
    Sacrificing animals to this "jealous" and "vengeful" God, will get you locked up nowadays. Or in Abraham's case, sacrificing HIS OWN SON! I'm sure you will explain that one away with somethin ...[text shortened]... him red-handed and told the 'chosen people' to stone him to death! And they did! God! Dude! WTF?
    So you think the Bible isn't true due to a moral code you have, that if you lived during those
    times you could have told people the things as you see them, and they would have fallen
    in behind you in agreement?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 03:39
    Sacrificing animals to this "jealous" and "vengeful" God, will get you locked up nowadays. Or in Abraham's case, sacrificing HIS OWN SON! I'm sure you will explain that one away with somethin ...[text shortened]... him red-handed and told the 'chosen people' to stone him to death! And they did! God! Dude! WTF?
    If all morality is subjective, how can anything be obviously right or wrong?
  8. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 19:25
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    So you think the Bible isn't true due to a moral code you have, that if you lived during those
    times you could have told people the things as you see them, and they would have fallen
    in behind you in agreement?
    The bible has many beautiful passages and important ideals to live by. "He who is without sin..." and "Do unto others..." just to name a few. But to take both testaments in whole as literal everyday values to follow is insane.
    In everyday life I am a good person, do the right things and help others less fortunate than myself, when I can. I didn't need a bible to show me that, just a little parental guidance and common sense.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 22:39
    The bible has many beautiful passages and important ideals to live by. "He who is without sin..." and "Do unto others..." just to name a few. But to take both testaments in whole as literal everyday values to follow is insane.
    In everyday life I am a good person, do the right things and help others less fortunate than myself, when I can. I didn't need a bible to show me that, just a little parental guidance and common sense.
    If you don’t take both as a whole you will fail to grasp God’s work with mankind. If you don’t understand the gravity of sin, the Holy nature of God, the actions, predictions you will fail to understand why things were done. Even the meaning of some things said and done in the NT.

Have you read the whole thing to even make that statement?
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 16:32
    Well what compelling reason do you have for the ability to tell 'good from evil' apart from God writing His laws upon your heart? Also if God doesn't exist what exactly is good and evil apart from your personal preferences?
    You just agreed that your camp cannot tell right from wrong unless authority tells you how to do so. Jesus, becker. I mean, holy cow, becker.

I feel impulse to higher understanding than mere myself. I would fight even unto death to protect your kids from abuse, for example. I've never met them! This is pretty normal behavior for secularists, btw.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 16:34
    If all morality is subjective, how can anything be obviously right or wrong?
    Forgive me. I'd like to push this screwdriver into your eyeball. We know you can't tell whether that is a bad thing or a good thing.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 17:43
    Originally posted by @apathist
    You just agreed that your camp cannot tell right from wrong unless authority tells you how to do so. Jesus, becker. I mean, holy cow, becker.

I feel impulse to higher understanding than mere myself. I would fight even unto death to protect your kids from abuse, for example. I've never met them! This is pretty normal behavior for secularists, btw.
    You feel impulse. Cool. So what makes your impulse right and someone else's contradictory impulse wrong?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 17:44
    Forgive me. I'd like to push this screwdriver into your eyeball. We know [b]you can't tell whether that is a bad thing or a good thing.[/b]
    If morality is subjective, how do you tell right from wrong?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 20:51
    If morality is subjective, how do you tell right from wrong?
    As you have demonstrated on another thread morality is subjective.
    How do you tell what is right from wrong?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '17 09:19

Why would you fight to the death to protect my kids from abuse if you don't believe that the abuse of kids is objectively wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree