1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 16:56
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Halloween, harmless fun or Satanic worship?
    If the Beatle's White album can but used to make people kill, I'd say everything
    can be used for good or evil. If your asking about the roots of it, a little
    research should help out there.
    Kelly
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 17:47
    Halloween, harmless fun or Satanic worship?
    just a harmless harvest festival with pagan roots. no stranger to christianity, most of their rituals and dogma have pagan roots.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 02:59
    I vehe-something oppose what you said, you're too serious, let's party. 🙂
    Sam Adams....Pumpkin Ale ? Or some type of dark beer ?

LOL

Manny
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 03:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If the Beatle's White album can but used to make people kill, I'd say everything
    can be used for good or evil. If your asking about the roots of it, a little
    research should help out there.
    Kelly
    I want your take, not some result from google.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 03:201 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    just a harmless harvest festival with pagan roots. no stranger to christianity, most of their rituals and dogma have pagan roots.
    From what I have read, and I can't remember all the sources, so take it with a grain of salt.

The RCC basically set up Church Holidays to coincide with Pagan festivals and holidays, so Christmas is during Yule season, Halloween during Beltane etc.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 20:35
    From what I have read, and I can't remember all the sources, so take it with a grain of salt.

The RCC basically set up Church Holidays to coincide with Pagan festivals and holidays, so Christmas is during Yule season, Halloween during Beltane etc.
    All the people in Rome that were coming into the Church were from pagan roots. Of course, the Roman Catholic Church were going to accomodate the needs of the new members who were greatly out numbering the Jewish roots members. The pagan roots members had a majority vote, you see. They did not want to do things the Jewish way. So they compromised and there became a mixture in Christianity.
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 03:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    All the people in Rome that were coming into the Church were from pagan roots. Of course, the Roman Catholic Church were going to accomodate the needs of the new members who were greatly out numbering the Jewish roots members. The pagan roots members had a majority vote, you see. They did not want to do things the Jewish way. So they compromised and there became a mixture in Christianity.
    oh good, i'm glad you recognize that christianity conformed to paganism rather than the other way around. that majority pagan vote you mentioned explains where the trinity doctrine came from as well.
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 04:181 edit
    oh good, i'm glad you recognize that christianity conformed to paganism rather than the other way around. that majority pagan vote you mentioned explains where the trinity doctrine came from as well.
    You teed that one up nicely. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Of course, if we think just hard enough to get past the fog of rhetoric, all we have is just what chesspraxis said. The Christian Church set up holiday celebrations to coincide, even compete with, Pagan celebrations. It wasn't a capitulation, or an embracing of Pagan beliefs... it was done to prevent the flock from straying. Though the intent was good I'm sure, the result is many ignorant people outside the family get to take potshots at us and label us Pagans.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 17:33
    Originally posted by sumydid
    You teed that one up nicely. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Of course, if we think just hard enough to get past the fog of rhetoric, all we have is just what chesspraxis said. The Christian Church set up holiday celebrations to coincide, even compete with, Pagan celebrations. It wasn't a capitulation, or an embracing of Pagan beliefs... ...[text shortened]... ult is many ignorant people outside the family get to take potshots at us and label us Pagans.
    the point is that christianity conformed to paganism. christianity had to change to bring the pagans into the fold because the vanilla religion preached by christ wasn't acceptable for them.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 18:06
    the point is that christianity conformed to paganism. christianity had to change to bring the pagans into the fold because the vanilla religion preached by christ wasn't acceptable for them.
    actually the great apostasy was foretold, in fact, it appears it had to be that way.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 19:46
    Hummmm, pagan roots you say? Lol. The trinity buddy is a really biggy here.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 23:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually the great apostasy was foretold, in fact, it appears it had to be that way.
    nothing about it is foretold. apostasy happens in all religions. when designing a religion with self-reinforcing ideology such as christianity, the authors would have had plenty of history to draw upon.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 00:431 edit
    I think you ignored the meaning of the word "compromised" that I used in my explanation. The Pagans absolutely had to conform to become a Christian. Believing in a Triune God was not like believing in a triad of gods, for now they had to believe in only ONE true God. Their other gods were now all false.

HalleluYah !!! Paise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 06:50
    I think you ignored the meaning of the word "compromised" that I used in my explanation. The Pagans absolutely had to conform to become a Christian. Believing in a Triune God was not like believing in a triad of gods, for now they had to believe in only ONE true God. Their other gods were now all false.

HalleluYah !!! Paise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    indeed. christianity had to compromise to make it easier for pagans to convert. they did by the droves and brought their pagan ideologies to the christian religion. then, when it was time to vote, the majority pagan converts voted in a trinity doctrine because that's what they were familiar with before christianity came along.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 07:392 edits
    indeed. christianity had to compromise to make it easier for pagans to convert. they did by the droves and brought their pagan ideologies to the christian religion. then, when it was time to vote, the majority pagan converts voted in a trinity doctrine because that's what they were familiar with before christianity came along.
    The Christian compromise was on minor things that had no bearing on the salvation of a person's soul. Celebrating the birth of Jesus on the winter solstice rather on the Passover did not condemn them to the lake of fire. But not believing in the true God is another story. The apostles Peter and Paul had to fight against false teaching being brought into the chuches even in those early days. This was the reason for the church councils in order to determine what were the teaching of the early apostles to dismiss the false beliefs that were arising from the pagans entering the church. They named the false teaching a heresay and the proponent as a heretic. Arius was one of the heretics that the JWs follow today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arius

P.S. Just like Satan, Arius appeared to many as an angel of light.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree