1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 06:371 edit
    There have been quite a few threads on hell here lately. Sonship had the one about what Jesus said about hell, and then the entire debate about the meaning of "death", and whether the punishment is "eternal annihilation" or "eternal torment".

I have not joined the fray for reasons that I may explain later in a separate thread.

For the moment I just want to address the issue of the "Poor man, Rich man" story that Jesus told, that is often taken as proof of eternal torture.

Two comments:

Firstly, it is clear that this is an allegory, a fable, a parable, as so many of Jesus' stories. The fact that it cannot possibly be taken literally is seen from the following:
    - the fact that a single drop of water (which is what was asked for and refused) cannot possibly solve the rich man's problem
    - the existence of a visible gulf between the two places, across which one can hold a conversation, which is clearly untenable for "heavenly bliss".

Both of these descriptions are thus clearly metaphorical.

However, the main point that sonship and everybody else (except maybe Rajk!) seems to miss, is that this parable has nothing whatsoever to do with salvation, being "born again" or Faith in Christ. Nowhere is it mentioned that Lazarus "believed in God" (as was recorded about e.g. Abraham), and that the rich man was an unbeliever.

The ONLY reason stated here for the rich man ending up where he did was that he LACKED COMPASSION, that he did not care for the poor man at his gate.

This parable is about Good Works, about Caring For The Poor - which was always close to Jesus' heart (as well as the Apostles later).

So anybody that is using this scripture to prove hell for the unbelievers, is missing the boat completely!
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 07:37
    Originally posted by CalJust
    So anybody that is using this scripture to prove hell for the unbelievers, is missing the boat completely!
    Any Christian that wants to use hell as a motivation to believe in Christ has missed the boat completely.
  3. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 09:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Any Christian that wants to use hell as a motivation to believe in Christ has missed the boat completely.
    Amen, preach it brother!
    🙂
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 11:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Supposed punishment "by the Almighty" is for religionists to imagine, codify and threaten, not me.
    But you don't even believe.

For those who feel threatened they simply don't believe. By God not proving himself to exist allows this claimed coercion to simply vanish.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 11:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe the Holy Bible teaches that there are two different kinds of death. The first death that all experience is the death of the body. Once the body is dead, it can not experience pain, torment, or suffering. It just decays until it turns to dust. That would be annihilation and ceasing to exist. But that is not an eternal or everlasting death, becau ...[text shortened]... which is identified as the second death in Revelation?

See Revelation 14:11, 20:10, and 21:8.
    The KJV says this:

Matt 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

You say this:

... some to everlasting life and others to everlasting torment (Matthwe 25:46).

Is there some version of the Bible that changed the words from punishment to torment or is that just your wording?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    For those who feel threatened they simply don't believe. By God not proving himself to exist allows this claimed coercion to simply vanish.
    There is no "coercion" for unbelievers. That's why I have been asking, among other things: do Christians think that genuine "belief and "love" can be created by coercion or extortion? I do not feel "threatened" in the slightest by this particular as-ghastly-as-it-gets imagination/ideology of [some] Christians. I am simply curious about the ideology ~ its purpose ~ and I am curious about what makes its subscribers tick.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 12:54
    But you don't even believe.
    Exactly. Which makes you look a bit daft asking me: "What then should be done to judge them by the Almighty?"
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 13:47
    Originally posted by CalJust
    There have been quite a few threads on hell here lately. Sonship had the one about what Jesus said about hell, and then the entire debate about the meaning of "death", and whether the punishment is "eternal annihilation" or "eternal torment".

I have not joined the fray for reasons that I may explain later in a separate thread.

For the moment I just wan ...[text shortened]... that is using this scripture to prove hell for the unbelievers, is missing the boat completely!
    This just shows that Jesus can have more than one point to make in His parables.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The KJV says this:

[b]Matt 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

You say this:

... some to everlasting life and others to everlasting torment (Matthwe 25:46).

Is there some version of the Bible that changed the words from punishment to torment or is that just your wording?[/b]
    The Aramaic Bible in Plain English is the only one that I know that varies from "punishment" by using "torture" instead. As I understand it, torment is a type of punishment that I get from reading Revelations 14, 19, and 20. I suppose there could be some other type punishment, like weeping and gnashing of teeth, if that is a punishment.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 14:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Exactly. Which makes you look a bit daft asking me: "What then should be done to judge them by the Almighty?"
    The Almighty has chosen the Lake of Fire and Brimstone as the punishment for Satan and his angels (demons) and all that follow the devils lead. There is where they will be in torment day and night forever and ever.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 14:40
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Aramaic Bible in Plain English is the only one that I know that varies from "punishment" by using "torture" instead. As I understand it, torment is a type of punishment that I get from reading Revelations 14, 19, and 20. I suppose there could be some other type punishment, like weeping and gnashing of teeth, if that is a punishment.
    Toyota is a type of motorcar so wherever I see the word motor car it is ok to change it to Toyota... you are such a smart guy !!
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '14 15:10
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Toyota is a type of motorcar so wherever I see the word motor car it is ok to change it to Toyota... you are such a smart guy !!
    Of course it is, if Toyota is the type of motor car being talked about. 😏
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 03:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    There is no "coercion" for unbelievers. That's why I have been asking, among other things: do Christians think that genuine "belief and "love" can be created by coercion or extortion? I do not feel "threatened" in the slightest by this particular as-ghastly-as-it-gets imagination/ideology of [some] Christians. I am simply curious about the ideology ~ its purpose ~ and I am curious about what makes its subscribers tick.
    Name one person who thinks they are going to hell.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 03:35
    Presumably Satanists.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 05:56
    You should ask people who believe in the "Hell" ideology, not me. KellyJay has said that he will try to still love Jesus even if he is "punished" with "eternal torture". You should ask people like him who believe this "punishment" exists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree