1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 May '09 17:141 edit
    RBHILL's version of Christianity which states that one need only to be "saved" to get to heaven and those who have never been afforded the opportunity to "give their lives to Christ" are damned to hell is contrary to the notion of a just, merciful and loving God.

Furthermore, the idea of good works having no bearing on your soul's salvation leads to lazy, superficial Christianity where all one needs to do is simply extol the virtues of Christ without demonstration. This cannot be what Christ intended and seems contrary to the actions of Jesus against the Pharisees.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    29 May '09 17:28
    Originally posted by darvlay
    RBHILL's version of Christianity which states that one need only to be "saved" to get to heaven and those who have never been afforded the opportunity to "give their lives to Christ" are damned to hell is contrary to the notion of a just, merciful and loving God.

Furthermore, the idea of good works having no bearing on your soul's salvation leads to lazy, ...[text shortened]... be what Christ intended and seems contrary to the actions of Jesus against the Pharisees.
    I couldn't agree more.
  3. England
    Moves
    30 May '09 10:44

Furthermore, the idea of good works having no bearing on your soul's salvation leads to lazy, ...[text shortened]... be what Christ intended and seems contrary to the actions of Jesus against the Pharisees.
    1, if you get to heaven then you have been saved.
    2, we all get the opportunity to give to god
    3, the just and merciful god sees your works in life and will judge on the truth within you
    4, the balance of your good works against your sins will be known
    5, christ knows your works, if you want mans praise then you have had your reward.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 May '09 12:30
    The Kingdom of the Father is spread over the earth and men do not see it.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 May '09 12:40
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The Kingdom of the Father is spread over the earth and men do not see it.
    a few do...(a few women as well๐Ÿ™‚)
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:02
    Originally posted by stoker
    2, we all get the opportunity to give to god
    3, the just and merciful god sees your works in life and will judge on the truth within you
    4, the balance of your good works against your sins will be known
    5, christ knows your works, if you want mans praise then you have had your reward.
    we are saved by faith alone, works are a merely an outward sign or expression of our salvation
  7. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:151 edit

This is not RBHILL's version- this is Christianity! Furthermore by works you ARE NOT saved, we are saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8-9) but we are to do good works as an outward expression of our faith (Eph 2:10). Jesus Christ IS the ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN (John 14:6)!!
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:28

MT 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man ACCORDING TO HIS WORKS.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    MT 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man ACCORDING TO HIS WORKS.
    reward...not judge
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:46
    Originally posted by duecer
    reward...not judge
    Lol .. want to nitpick?
    Here is how Christ will JUDGE. Its in great detail, in simple language, even a moron can understand that judgment and reward is about WORKS. You cant twist this passage although I have come across some lame pathetic attempts by those who want to think they can bypass the poor and needy, the sick, the suffering with their nose in the air (like the priest and Levite in the Good Samaritan parable), and simply waltz into the kingdom by just saying 'I believe in Christ'. Well it aint so.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    30 May '09 17:31
    Lol .. want to nitpick?
    Here is how Christ will JUDGE. Its in great detail, in simple language, even a moron can understand that judgment and reward is about WORKS. You cant twist this passage although I have come across some lame pathetic attempts by those who want to think they can bypass the poor and needy, the sick, the suffering with their nose in the ...[text shortened]...
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    its not nitpicking, there is a subtle difference that seems to escape your limited intellect.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '09 17:34
    its not nitpicking, there is a subtle difference that seems to escape your limited intellect.
    Then please use your unlimited intellect to explain it to me.
    You might have to explain it to Christ as well. He apparently thinks (according to Matt 25) that He is going to judge people according to their works. You better correct Him before judgment day. Time is short... ๐Ÿ™‚
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    30 May '09 17:45
    Then please use your unlimited intellect to explain it to me.
    You might have to explain it to Christ as well. He apparently thinks (according to Matt 25) that He is going to judge people according to their works. You better correct Him before judgment day. Time is short... ๐Ÿ™‚
    the purpose of that passage is to illustrate that faith without works is dead. Not everything you read in the bible is literal. Paul says in Romans that we need simply to believe with our hearts and confess with our tongues that Jesus Christ is Lord. It is the most broadly acceptred doctrine of the universal church (that faith alone is necessary). The works (again) are merely an outward sign of our salvation. We are not judged, that is reserved for the guilty. We are forgiven, and rewarded according to our hard work. Judgment...reward...2 very different concepts.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '09 18:14
    the purpose of that passage is to illustrate that faith without works is dead. Not everything you read in the bible is literal. Paul says in Romans that we need simply to believe with our hearts and confess with our tongues that Jesus Christ is Lord. It is the most broadly acceptred doctrine of the universal church (that faith alone is necessary). The works ( ...[text shortened]... orgiven, and rewarded according to our hard work. Judgment...reward...2 very different concepts.
    The words of Paul must be interpreted in the light of what Christ said.
    The other way around means you are placing Paul above Christ ... foolish thing to do. Thats your choice if you want to do that.

To fall in line with the masses (broadly accepted doctrine of the universal church) is another pitfall. It demonstrates that you are not thinking for yourself. (MT 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and BROAD is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. )

But if you are serious about salvation you will follow the words of Christ and not simply dismiss them as not being literal because you found an apparently easy way to salvation.
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 May '09 18:35
    I agree today you see a superficial Christianity at least in Churches I've been to. (My experience of course not to offend others) I'd say some of this is my own guilt. What was I doing to help others? I've met some of the meanest un-welcoming people in Church too. I remember a church I attended a long time ago had a large gym. Another guy and myself tried to start a basketball night. First night it was just him & I. Every week we got more and more young men to come. We ended up with about 30 guys. Some of these guys would never enter a church any other way. A few of these guys one being my nephew were real gangster/criminal types. The guy who was in charge of the gym I think became afraid that these guys would wreck the gym and did not see the opportunity to reach these guys. It was too much of an inconvenience so they told us we could not do the basketball night anymore. I was mad at the time. I thought so if un-seemly types came in on Sunday morning to listen to a semon how would they be treated? I believe if you truly believe the words of Christ you will do his works. Maybe this does not save you from hell but it shows you believe what Christ said to be true.

Manny

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree