1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 13:511 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Well the thread is asking you. What about you? Does your faith create a "duty" to rebel?
    I don't pretend to know what God would tell me to do.

He has a knack for surprising you, and ultimately he is in control.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I don't pretend to know what God would tell me to do.
    Do you think Benjamin Franklin was right?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:19
    I don't pretend to know what God would tell me to do. He has a knack for surprising you, and ultimately he is in control.
    Doesn't this mean that if you suddenly do something "surprising" as a result of your seething facetious political impotence ~ if you'll pardon my rather unflattering estimation of you ~ that you can just claim that "God" was in control of you?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:27
    Doesn't this mean that if you suddenly do something "surprising" as a result of your seething facetious political impotence ~ if you'll pardon my rather unflattering estimation of you ~ that you can just claim that "God" was in control of you?
    Only if I hear the voices in my head telling me to do it. Isn't that what you mean?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:56
    Only if I hear the voices in my head telling me to do it. Isn't that what you mean?
    How else are you going to know your god figure is telling you what to do? You introduced the notion, not me.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 15:162 edits
    How else are you going to know your god figure is telling you what to do? You introduced the notion, not me.
    You are introducing a hypothetical and want me to sign a blank check.

Not going to do it.

So what would you have done under the Nazi tyranny? Would you have killed?

That hypothetical is hard to answer, not knowing the situation, isn't it.

Then you want to make it even harder by referring to a hypothetical tyrannical regime?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 18:15
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Is slavery morally acceptable, yes or no?
    Second bump for Jacob V.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 18:342 edits
    Second bump for Jacob V.
    What kind of a question is that?

Who wants slavery other than the task master?

Then again, let me consult the voices in my head again to be sure.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 21:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 21:50
    Then you want to make it even harder by referring to a hypothetical tyrannical regime?
    You recently rejected out of hand the idea that life is better now for more members of the human race than it has ever been before purely on the grounds of the extent of slavery in today's world. Thread 176043

So, no hypothetical there. For you the issue of C21st slavery cancels out the great strides in health, education, civil society that have lifted the lives of billions and billions of people. Has this non-hypothetical issue that you yourself cited caused any duty in terms of obedience to "God" and rebellion against tyranny to kick in for you [maybe the "surprising" voices in your head you alluded to]?

Or does your Christian spirit - and any duty or obedience attendant thereto - manifest itself only in fatuous snarking from the sidelines about things like taxation and tabloidized versions of serious issues?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 22:59
    Second bump for Jacob V.
    Lol I answered your question perfectly well.

Yes, slavery was moral.

Is it moral now? No.

Similar to a Polygamy issue, i can't think of a single scenario relevant to us now or two hundred years ago where it is ethical for us.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:00
    What's funny about dive :

He demands answers to questions but even when you give him a controversial answer he won't debate you anyway, he'll just sputter and act indignant.

He's only here to ask questions and bump threads.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:05
    You recently rejected out of hand the idea that life is better now for more members of the human race than it has ever been before purely on the grounds of the extent of slavery in today's world. Thread 176043

So, no hypothetical there. For you the issue of C21st slavery cancels out the great strides in health, education, civil society that hav ...[text shortened]... arking from the sidelines about things like taxation and tabloidized versions of serious issues?
    My position is, the world is better since Christ came into it. It is my guess that slavery would still be OK and out in the open had he not come into the world

However, man is not getting any better in that we still sin, which is reflected by the fact that slavery is more prevalent than ever.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:29
    My position is, the world is better since Christ came into it. It is my guess that slavery would still be OK and out in the open had he not come into the world

However, man is not getting any better in that we still sin, which is reflected by the fact that slavery is more prevalent than ever.
    Very good point

The most common form of persistent slavery today is that of the sexual kind.

It is probably very likely that, without Christ, we'd have Westerners talking about how getting an 18 year old girl to be your prostitue on retainer for a decade so you pay for her state school so she can one day be a nurse is not just justifiable but a totally natural arrangement, and anyone who argues against it is foolish.

As it stands, enlightened Western European countries tolerate the presence of human trafficking to fulfill exactly this kind of niche in their society.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:351 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Very good point

The most common form of persistent slavery today is that of the sexual kind.

It is probably very likely that, without Christ, we'd have Westerners talking about how getting an 18 year old girl to be your prostitue on retainer for a decade so you pay for her state school so she can one day be a nurse is not just justifiable but a tot ...[text shortened]... lerate the presence of human trafficking to fulfill exactly this kind of niche in their society.
    It was common in the ancient world for men to abuse young boys, and socially acceptable.

Now they have to do it in the shadows.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree