Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. Standard member Romans1009
    Cretinous Mutterings
    28 May '18 01:07
    Was driving on the parkway about 30 minutes ago when I thought of what seems like a perfect way to reconcile Paul’s apparent differing messages within the New Testament, as well as the alleged differences between the Gospel most often associated with Paul (salvation by faith alone) and Gospel most often associated with Jesus (salvation by following His commandments.)

    Want to take a guess on how they’re reconciled? It’s pretty interesting and shows how deep and beautiful the Bible is.
  2. 28 May '18 01:10
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Was driving on the parkway about 30 minutes ago when I thought of what seems like a perfect way to reconcile Paul’s apparent differing messages within the New Testament, as well as the alleged differences between the Gospel most often associated with Paul (salvation by faith alone) and Gospel most often associated with Jesus (salvation by following His c ...[text shortened]... n how they’re reconciled? It’s pretty interesting and shows how deep and beautiful the Bible is.
    There is no contradiction, at least not for those who know God.

    We are saved by faith alone. If you have the faith that leads to salvation then your actions will reflect it. Those who do not know God call those actions works.
  3. 28 May '18 01:32
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Was driving on the parkway about 30 minutes ago when I thought of what seems like a perfect way to reconcile Paul’s apparent differing messages within the New Testament, as well as the alleged differences between the Gospel most often associated with Paul (salvation by faith alone) and Gospel most often associated with Jesus (salvation by following His c ...[text shortened]... n how they’re reconciled? It’s pretty interesting and shows how deep and beautiful the Bible is.
    In the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry:

    Jesus taught what is and is not righteous.

    Jesus taught what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom"

    Jesus taught that ultimately what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom" is transformation into a righteous being: from a "slave" to a "son", from one "born of the flesh" to one "born of the spirit", from a "bad tree" to a "good tree". A "son" no longer commits sin, one "born of the spirit" no longer commits sin, a "good tree" no longer commits sin. In short, one must become one with God as He was one with God. One must become a son of God as he was a son of God.

    Can't imagine that you've actually found a way to reconcile the above with "salvation by faith alone".
  4. Standard member Romans1009
    Cretinous Mutterings
    28 May '18 01:51
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    In the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry:

    Jesus taught what is and is not righteous.

    Jesus taught what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom"

    Jesus taught that ultimately what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom" is transformation into a righteous being: from a "slave" to a "son", from one "born of the flesh" to o ...[text shortened]... imagine that you've actually found a way to reconcile the above with "salvation by faith alone".
    <<Can't imagine that you've actually found a way to reconcile the above with "salvation by faith alone".>>

    I think I have. And I think it works in the Old Testament as well. I’ll post what I think is the reconciliation tomorrow; want to think on it some more and probably should have waited to start this thread.

    But anyone who’s interested in reconciling salvation by faith alone with salvation by following the commandments of Christ can think about it too.
  5. 28 May '18 02:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Was driving on the parkway about 30 minutes ago when I thought of what seems like a perfect way to reconcile Paul’s apparent differing messages within the New Testament, as well as the alleged differences between the Gospel most often associated with Paul (salvation by faith alone) and Gospel most often associated with Jesus (salvation by following His c ...[text shortened]... n how they’re reconciled? It’s pretty interesting and shows how deep and beautiful the Bible is.
    I'd like to hear it.

    Better than listening to ToO butcher the gospel.
  6. 28 May '18 02:29
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <<Can't imagine that you've actually found a way to reconcile the above with "salvation by faith alone".>>

    I think I have. And I think it works in the Old Testament as well. I’ll post what I think is the reconciliation tomorrow; want to think on it some more and probably should have waited to start this thread.

    But anyone who’s interested in reconc ...[text shortened]... on by faith alone with salvation by following the commandments of Christ can think about it too.
    If our explanation is different from mine then it is not found in the Bible. I gave the Bible's explanation.
  7. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    28 May '18 02:55
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If our explanation is different from mine then it is not found in the Bible. I gave the Bible's explanation.
    Here we go again.

    You are NOT God, man!
  8. 28 May '18 03:08
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Here we go again.

    You are NOT God, man!
    No, but I know how to read. I do not have an agenda and simply take the Bible at face value.

    I am surprised at how something so plainly written in the Bible gets lied about by people like you.

    Jesus called it judging what is in the heart by the fruits that result.

    I suppose to those without the holy spirit find the Bible very confusing.
  9. 28 May '18 03:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @secondson
    I'd like to hear it.

    Better than listening to ToO butcher the gospel.
    Ezekiel 33
    17“Yet your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ But it is their way that is not just. 18 If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, they will die for it. 19 And if a wicked person turns away from their wickedness and does what is just and right, they will live by doing so. 20 Yet you Israelites say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ But I will judge each of you according to your own ways.

    Matthew 16
    27“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.

    John 5
    28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.
  10. 28 May '18 03:14
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Ezekiel 33
    17“Yet your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ But it is their way that is not just. 18 [b]If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, they will die for it. 19 And if a wicked person turns away from their wickedness and does what is just and right, they will live by doing so.
    20 Yet you Israelites say, ...[text shortened]... to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.[/b][/b]
    God's definition of good not yours.

    Homosexuality is inherently evil. So what you believe is good is actually evil. People like you believing yourself good will be gathered up and burned.
  11. 28 May '18 05:13
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If our explanation is different from mine then it is not found in the Bible. I gave the Bible's explanation.
    Why then, are not your words simply "Read the Bible."
  12. 28 May '18 05:15
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If our explanation is different from mine then it is not found in the Bible. I gave the Bible's explanation.
    Why then, are not your words simply "Read the Bible"?
  13. 28 May '18 11:28
    Originally posted by @eladar
    God's definition of good not yours.

    Homosexuality is inherently evil. So what you believe is good is actually evil. People like you believing yourself good will be gathered up and burned.
    The Bible is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions.

    As such, what you call "God's definition" is in fact YOUR interpretation. Given your irrational preoccupation with homosexuality, it would seem that YOUR interpretation is strongly influenced by homophobia.
  14. 28 May '18 11:41
    Originally posted by @eladar
    No, but I know how to read. I do not have an agenda and simply take the Bible at face value.

    I am surprised at how something so plainly written in the Bible gets lied about by people like you.

    Jesus called it judging what is in the heart by the fruits that result.

    I suppose to those without the holy spirit find the Bible very confusing.
    What's really confusing is people who claim to have the Holy Spirit but exhibit none of the fruit of the Spirit.

    "I am surprised at how something so plainly written in the Bible gets lied about by people like you."

    Can you provide evidence for that? What has suzianne lied about that's written in the Bible?
  15. 28 May '18 11:46
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The Bible is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions.

    As such, what you call "God's definition" is in fact YOUR interpretation. Given your irrational preoccupation with homosexuality, it would seem that YOUR interpretation is strongly influenced by homophobia.
    Isn't all that just your interpretation?

    As clearly stated by Peter, "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation". The Word of God is interpreted by the Word of God.

    The concept is lost on you.