1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 May '18 11:52
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Ezekiel 33
    17“Yet your people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ But it is their way that is not just. 18 [b]If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, they will die for it. 19 And if a wicked person turns away from their wickedness and does what is just and right, they will live by doing so.
    20 Yet you Israelites say, ...[text shortened]... to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.[/b][/b]
    So what's YOUR interpretation of those verses?

That one must keep the law, do good and never sin to be saved?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:06
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Isn't all that just your interpretation?

As clearly stated by Peter, "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation". The Word of God is interpreted by the Word of God.

The concept is lost on you.
    The Bible is what it is.The Bible is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. That's just a fact. The extremely wide variation amongst Christians as to what the Bible is actually saying bears this out.

Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:11
    So what's YOUR interpretation of those verses?

That one must keep the law, do good and never sin to be saved?
    By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent.

This is not true of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so. 

Many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians are antithetical to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

In the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry:

Jesus taught what is and is not righteous.

Jesus taught what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom"

Jesus taught that ultimately what is required for "eternal life" / "the kingdom" is transformation into a righteous being: from a "slave" to a "son", from one "born of the flesh" to one "born of the spirit", from a "bad tree" to a "good tree". A "son" no longer commits sin, one "born of the spirit" no longer commits sin, a "good tree" no longer commits sin. In short, one must become one with God as He was one with God. One must become a son of God as he was a son of God.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:13
    The Bible is what it is.The Bible is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. That's just a fact. The extremely wide variation amongst Christians as to what the Bible is actually saying bears this out.

Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verse ...[text shortened]... upport their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner.
    That's your definition and interpretation. It violates the meaning of 2 Peter 1:20.

You just finished picking and choosing verses yourself making a self application of "a most disingenuous manner" to yourself in support of your own beliefs.

It's called hypocrisy.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:453 edits
    That's your definition and interpretation. It violates the meaning of 2 Peter 1:20.

You just finished picking and choosing verses yourself making a self application of "a most disingenuous manner" to yourself in support of your own beliefs.

It's called hypocrisy.
    If had a bit more on the ball, you'd realize that my position is that the Bible IS widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. As opposed to this by and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent. For that very reason, I choose the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I advocate for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

You and others on the other hand, refuse to admit that the Bible is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Refuse to admit that you pick and choose the verses and passages that support your beliefs and dismiss those that don't. And you often do these things in a most disingenuous manner.

How exactly is that hypocrisy?

This is yet another example of your reading comprehension problems as well how you repeatedly draw the most nonsensical conclusions
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:57
    By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent.

This is not true of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so. 

Many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians are antith ...[text shortened]... ne with God as He was one with God. One must become a son of God as he was a son of God.[/quote]
    "By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent."

I suppose the concept of the doctrine of inerrancy and preservation is one you hold to. You probably think that "not one jot or tittle" doesn't mean the content of scripture is 100% reliable or has been preserved.

Your method of reliance on the Word of God is to cast in your line in and see what you catch. If you don't like it you throw it back.

Not one word will pass away. Believe what you want.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 May '18 13:01
    If had a bit more on the ball, you'd realize that my position is that the Bible IS widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. As opposed to this by and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent. For that very reason, I choose the gospel preached by ...[text shortened]... reading comprehension problems as well how you repeatedly draw the most nonsensical conclusions
    I've heard you say all that repeatedly. Contrary to what you think of my "reading comprehension problems" you are dead wrong about the Bible.

You have Bible reading comprehension problems.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 13:491 edit
    [b]"By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is reasonably sound and coherent."

I suppose the concept of the doctrine of inerrancy and preservation is one you hold to. You probably think that "not one jot or tittle" doesn't mean the content of scripture is 100% reliable or has been preserved.

Your method of reliance on the ...[text shortened]... If you don't like it you throw it back.

Not one word will pass away. Believe what you want.[/b]
    Your method of reliance on the Word of God is to cast in your line in and see what you catch. If you don't like it you throw it back.

This is exactly what YOU do. You delude yourself into believing that you don't and you do it in a most disingenuous manner.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 13:56

Many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians are antith ...[text shortened]... ne with God as He was one with God. One must become a son of God as he was a son of God.[/quote]
    Of course what Jesus taught is sound to those who could understand it. You don't understand it. Only those who are children of God can understand it.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:082 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Of course what Jesus taught is sound to those who could understand it. You don't understand it. Only those who are children of God can understand it.
    By all means, list everything that you think I don't understand about the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. For each item on the list, detail your understanding and show how your understanding was derived from the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry,
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:231 edit
    [b]Your method of reliance on the Word of God is to cast in your line in and see what you catch. If you don't like it you throw it back.

This is exactly what YOU do. You delude yourself into believing that you don't and you do it in a most disingenuous manner.[/b]
    I do not. You do. And you cut out the parts you think don't belong, and you add to it your private interpretation.

I, on the other hand, apply 2 Timothy 3:16 and consider the whole of scripture, and treat it as the Word of God, and I do not force my own interpretation on it. Doing so is unscriptural.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

Notice it says "all" scripture. God's Word. Not yours. Not mine, but His. Preserved, inerrant, infallible, 100% reliable and eternal. Says so right in the book.

Do your homework Mr reading comprehension.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:291 edit
    By all means, list everything that you think I don't understand about the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. For each item on the list, detail your understanding and show how your understanding was derived from the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry,
    One is enough...

You believe homosexuality is not sinful and living a homosexual lifestyle will not land you in hell.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:31
    I do not. You do. And you cut out the parts you think don't belong, and you add to it your private interpretation.

I, on the other hand, apply 2 Timothy 3:16 and consider the whole of scripture, and treat it as the Word of God, and I do not force my own interpretation on it. Doing so is unscriptural.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, an ...[text shortened]... % reliable and eternal. Says so right in the book.

Do your homework Mr reading comprehension.

And yet, that is exactly what you do. For example, you did exactly that with Leviticus 25:44-46. That passage flies on the face of your conception of God, so you delude yourself into believing that it doesn't say what it actually says and you do it in a most disingenuous manner.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:38
    Originally posted by @eladar
    One is enough...

You believe homosexuality is not sinful and living a homosexual lifestyle will not land you in hell.
    Of course, you failed to "show how your understanding was derived from the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry".

Thus far you've got absolutely nothing that demonstrates that I don't understand the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry and that you do.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:41
    Of course, you failed to "show how your understanding was derived from the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry".

Thus far you've got absolutely nothing that demonstrates that I don't understand the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry and that you do.
    You asked for an example of how your point of view is incorrect. I provided you with the example.

You are a child of Satan. It is kind of funny watching the deceived argue with each other over what is the true lie.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree