Aviod regret by not making mistakes
    Dont we need mistakes to learn ?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:10
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Yes, we are somehow supposed to forgive ourselves, right?
    Maybe after confession?
    Only God forgives us... and we know who that is

The Lord waits
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:13
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Worth noting is that ToO does not believe Jesus Christ was/is God in the flesh, died for the sins of the world to reconcile mankind to God and was Resurrected.

ToO refuses to even say if he believes in God.

His attempt to speak for God is laughable.
    Catch on knucklehead

You have the Lord confused with the belief system ie. God
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    A discussion topic...

What’s your biggest regrettable decision or action?
    On a personal affects-nobody-else level, I regretted choosing a module on Medieval European Politics in my third year at university, and wish that I had continued with Landscape Archaeology instead.

On an affects-others level, there is one incident that still makes me feel bad when I recall it. It happened when I was living in a kind of frontier town on the edge of the rainforest back in the early 1990s. I was invited - well in advance - to be a guest of homnour and speaker at a graduation ceremony at a vocational school out in a neighbouring village where I'd been training one of the teachers.

It was a time of no phones, no internet, no way of telling people stuff or reminding them without actually going to visit them in person. They had no reason to think I'd forget my promise to attend the event. But I did. I completely forgot about it and spent those two or three hours playing cards with my neighbours on my back patio.

It was deeply embarrassing to see, later, photographs of the graduation showing the massive banner across the stage that welcomed me - by name - as the guest of honour. Small thing perhaps, but I still think about the disappointment I caused - not so much to the graduating pupils - but to the organizer of the event.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:30
    Originally posted by @fmf
    On a personal affects-nobody-else level, I regretted choosing a module on Medieval European Politics in my third year at university, and wish that I had continued with Landscape Archaeology instead.

On an affects-others level, there is one incident that still makes me feel bad when I recall it. It happened when I was living in a kind of frontier town on the ...[text shortened]... appointment I caused - not so much to the graduating pupils - but to the organizer of the event.
    Lol
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:35

On an affects-others level, there is one incident that still makes me feel bad when I recall it. It happened when I was living in a kind of frontier town on the ...[text shortened]... appointment I caused - not so much to the graduating pupils - but to the organizer of the event.
    Yeah .. that one would bother me for the rest of my life ... tough.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:35

Better they were disappointed you didn’t show up than disappointed you did.

Did the banner say, “Welcome Kiddo!”
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:43
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    But your OP asks for someone's biggest regret.

What am I missing?
    I regret not going to university when I was 18.

That is not an emotional, painful or traumatic event.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:44
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I regret nothing, however some of my earlier life choices are cringworthy
    Cringeworthy but you would do them again?

Without giving anything away, would you do those things again?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:46

I completely forgot about it and spent those two or three hours playing cards with my neighbours on my back patio.

It was deeply embarrassing to see, later, photographs of the graduation showing the massive banner across the stage that welcomed me - by name - as the guest of honour. Small thing perhaps, but I still think about the disappointment I caused - not so much to the graduating pupils - but to the organizer of the event.
    Ouch!
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:47
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Yeah .. that one would bother me for the rest of my life ... tough.
    It has been survivable. 😉
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:48
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Dont we need mistakes to learn ?
    When people would say things like, "You need to make mistakes to learn", even as a young kid I remember thinking that it makes much more sense to learn from the mistakes of others.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:483 edits
    A discussion topic...

What’s your biggest regrettable decision or action?

Is it “Christian” to hold onto regret?

How does one avoid regret?
    Back about 10 years ago, I was nominated to receive a “Humanitarian of the Year” award and was supposed to go to a massive ballroom in New York City for the presentation. The ballroom was packed with celebrities, media, politicians, leaders in business, etc. and, being a deeply modest person, I felt it would be a better use of my time to spend the evening delivering meals to the home-bound elderly.

When I was delivering one of the meals, the elderly person’s TV set was on and tuned to the awards ceremony (the ceremony was aired live on all the broadcast and cable channels.)

Well, they announced me as the winner of the award (being so modest, I didn’t think I had a chance of winning) and I was greatly embarrassed not to be there.

But I had told one of my fellow nominees that I would be delivering meals to the home-bound elderly instead of attending the event, and he told the emcee where I was.

When the audience heard why I wasn’t there, I got an immediate standing ovation that lasted well over 20 minutes. It was judged by the Guinness Book of World Records to be the longest standing ovation anyone has received in the history of the world (I mention this as an aside only because it was very embarrassing.)

But those few moments where the emcee didn’t know where I was - and why I didn’t attend the nation’s most prestigious annual event - still haunt me to this day and surely represent one of my biggest regrets.

If only I had also told the emcee where I would be...

Oh well. C’est la vie!
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:511 edit
    Cringeworthy but you would do them again?

Without giving anything away, would you do those things again?
    No. I would regret that.

Mind you I wasn't 100 % til last December so I'd forgive myself for anything up until then

Do it once It's a mistake. Do it twice It's a decision
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:54
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    When people would say things like, "You need to make mistakes to learn", even as a young kid I remember thinking that it makes much more sense to learn from the mistakes of others.
    Very true .. no need to make every mistake in the book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree