1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 17:351 edit
    It is said peer pressure is significant, but what about parental (family) pressure, specifically when it comes to heritage religion.

Do you come a religious family where pressure was exerted, or do you have experience of someone who does and has had either a positive or negative experience? How hard is it to break away and make a self-informed choice? Was there pressure or condemnation for the person who does break away?

Any thoughts or experiences on this?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It is said peer pressure is significant, but what about parental (family) pressure, specifically when it comes to heritage religion.

Do you come a religious family where pressure was exerted, or do you have experience of someone who does and has had either a positive or negative experience? How hard is it to break away and make a self-informed choi ...[text shortened]... sure or condemnation for the person who does break away?

My parents "christianity" held no sway over me. I finally asked my dad what it all meant when I was 8 or 9. He gave me an athiests response- "We don't know".

Maybe if they had've beat me and tortured me I would've converted.

What the hell did my parents want anyway? I dont expect my kids to follow my gibberish. I hope they will learn for themselves.

This is kind of a deep and simple topic.
    Very disturbing , if you bother to think about it.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 21:35

Do you come a religious family where pressure was exerted, or do you have experience of someone who does and has had either a positive or negative experience? How hard is it to break away and make a self-informed choi ...[text shortened]... sure or condemnation for the person who does break away?

my parents were not religous at all. they never went to church. I on the other hand went to church all the time as a kid. My best friend was a church kid, so I went with his family. When i had kids of my own, I never pressured any of them to be active in faith. I did require they go occaisionally because I wanted them to make an informed decision about faith. All my kids have a spiritual life now, and they do it on their own with no pressure.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:05

Yes. I was beaten into submission. 🙄
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 00:09

My parents were not into religion, I was not raised around anyone who was.
    I got saved at 25 years old.
    Kelly
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 01:32
    Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (New International Version)
    5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Proverbs 22:6 (New International Version)
    6 Start children off on the way they should go,
    and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Ephesians 6
    1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”[a]
    4 Fathers,[b] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (New International Version)
    14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

It is very clear from these as well as other scriptures that parents, especially fathers, should be taking a very active role in the spiritual upbringing of their children.
    So would it not be showing love for a parent or parents to be actively teaching God's word to their children daily?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 01:50
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (New International Version)
    5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. ...[text shortened]... wing love for a parent or parents to be actively teaching God's word to their children daily?
    Yes , back in the day you it was either the dads way or the highway.
    Its a different world now, and while the same basic/principles teachings are there for all to find, it is abundantly clear that children DO NOT follow what their parents want them to learn . Especially about spirituality.
    Religous parents with athiest kids. Athiest parents with religous kids.
    Surely you can tell with only a couple of responses on this thread that you cant teach kids about stuff that they are not interested in.
    Whats worse is that you may actually be pushing your kids away from what you may want to teach them.
    Do you know what indoctrination means?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 02:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes , back in the day you it was either the dads way or the highway.
    Its a different world now, and while the same basic/principles teachings are there for all to find, it is abundantly clear that children DO NOT follow what their parents want them to learn . Especially about spirituality.
    Religous parents with athiest kids. Athiest parents with relig ...[text shortened]... ing your kids away from what you may want to teach them.
    Do you know what indoctrination means?
    So you say things are different today? Are these scriptures out of date? Is God and his wisdom out of date or is this line of thought just an excuse to not try on the part of parents and take an easy way out?
    It would seem that if one truely believes in God and his wisdom and ways, a parent should do all in their power to raise their child with the wisdom of God and the teachings of Jesus.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 03:212 edits
    So you say things are different today? Are these scriptures out of date? Is God and his wisdom out of date or is this line of thought just an excuse to not try on the part of parents and take an easy way out?
    It would seem that if one truely believes in God and his wisdom and ways, a parent should do all in their power to raise their child with the wisdom of God and the teachings of Jesus.
    So you say things are different today? Are these scriptures out of date? [Are ancient human writings and their wisdom] out of date or is this line of thought just an excuse to not try on the part of parents and take an easy way out?
    It would seem that if one truly believes in God and [the wisdom of ancient human writings and their ways], a parent should do all in their power to raise their child with the wisdom of [ancient humans] and the teachings of Jesus [as claimed to exist in those writings]

Made a few alterations :]
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 03:43
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]So you say things are different today? Are these scriptures out of date? [Are ancient human writings and their wisdom] out of date or is this line of thought just an excuse to not try on the part of parents and take an easy way out?
    It would seem that if one truly believes in God and [the wisdom of ancient human writings and their ways], a parent should ...[text shortened]... the teachings of Jesus [as claimed to exist in those writings]

Made a few alterations :][/b]
    I think I was asking if God's wisdom is out of date..not mans.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 06:13
    Q: Why are children of christian parents mostly christians?
    A: Because they are brought up that way. Not because they have learnt the truth.

Is this right? Many of those christians says they have done the choise themselves. But what happen if I aske a muslim the same thing?

Q: Why are children of muslim parents mostly muslims?
    A: Because they are brought up that way. Not because they have learnt the truth.

Same answer. Therefore, it has nothing to do with the thruth.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 06:37
    Yes, especially teach them the parts about stoning and slavery. Thats the sort of stuff that is in vogue right now.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 06:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Q: Why are children of christian parents mostly christians?

Is this right? Many of those christians says they have done the choise themselves. But what happen if I aske a muslim the same thing?

Q: Why are children of muslim parents mostly muslims?
    A: Because they are ...[text shortened]... use they have learnt the truth.

Same answer. Therefore, it has nothing to do with the thruth.
    Yes, when its like that, its indoctrination, not learning.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 07:06

Neither of my parents have ever been religious and yet for a large period of my life I was fervently Catholic. In fact most friends of mine, who were practicing Catholics, either had lapsed Catholic parents or were converts. From my own anecdotal experience, I do not think that the religious commitments of parents influences their children, at least in this age.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 07:16
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I do not think that the religious commitments of parents influences their children, at least in this age.
    The world's population is 6.9 billion people. Of these 1.9 billion are christians. That makes 27% of the whole population.
    And 1.1 billion people are muslims, which makes 16% of the total population.

If you were right in this, that parental influence of religion is not important? Then one out of six Amerikans would be a muslim. And one of each four inhabitant of Bagdad would be christian. I don't think this is very realistical.

In my humble opinion, parental influence are the most important factor when deciding in what religion you want to belong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree