Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It depends on the country and the mindset of the population. If the state spends money on education the state should decide on the curriculum and whether or not religion is taught. The state is also responsible to act on the wishes of the people so if the people by majority or some other means is against religious education in schools then the state should have it removed if it is offensive.

If the school is privately funded or funded by a Church then its the wishes of the Church that should prevail. The state has no right to say that a Church school should not provide religious education.

Thats my opinion.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:25

4. England
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:26
    truth should be taught at all schools
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:27
    Depends on the area and the desires of the people
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:441 edit

7. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:44

8. England
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:511 edit
    as in truth as we know it. ... ie that the world is round and has been around billions of years, and that our spiritual belief in the one god. then the child can make up there own mind which of these they take to, to dismiss one is teaching against what we believe
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:51
    There is no magic formula. It all boils down to pleasing the majority eg if 80% of the pop is made up of Christians and Muslims then the school can opt to each both. It should be the choice of the individual school based on their population. If there are equal % of Muslims, Christians and Hindus, then the school can opt to teach no religion at all as it might be cumbersome to teach all three.

To be honest I really dont understand why all the fuss. A simple solution is allow students/parents to chose if they participate in religious education at all.

As for church schools, where Im from these produce the most successful students. So the state would be rather foolish to stop funding.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 15:17
    Any degree of funding sounds a bit extreme, although I would agree for standard public schools.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 15:18
    Originally posted by stoker
    truth should be taught at all schools
    No religious teaching then...?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 16:08
    Should schools teach anything beyond the most basic disciplines? Ought schools teach critical thinking skills? Where does one draw the line? Since some wish to draw a hard-fast line betwixt religion and say, logic, for example, can we then have schools teach religion's replacement?
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 16:33
    I would be in favor of state-funded schools teaching religion as electives.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 18:54
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I would be in favor of state-funded schools teaching religion as electives.
    Does that include islamic schools, hinduistic schools, buddhistic schools, satanistic schools, hedhen schools, whatever schools? Or do you only mean christian schools?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 21:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No religious teaching then...?
    They could teach about the various histories of the various main religious movements. That would be a relative truth.

But seriously, when I had to fill out my sons school registration forms last week, I knew they didn't mean "religous education". They meant 'christian indoctrination', which really cheeses me off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree