1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 10:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We desperately need to escape religions so the human race can finally grow up and take care of business on its own petards.

This obsession with gods is out of hand. Every decision a theist makes is tainted with the obsession of some god or other.

That is not the way to maturity. That is the way that keeps us infantile, forever in the middle of religi ...[text shortened]... way round.

Prove me wrong. Try it without quoting scripture, vedas, talmud, Qurans and such.
    OK but I'll have to pray about it first. 😵
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 10:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    There are so many wars described in the old testament, so many genocides, so much violence, so it is one of the pillars of the christian religion. "We are better than you, we have God on our side, we have the right, no, the obligation to destroy you!"

So, yes, religion is responsible for too many wars, even in our times.
    We do not have God on our side, it is supposed to be the other way around.
    Religion is responsible for many things good and bad, but that is just saying
    that people are responsible for many things good and bad since we use
    religion to do good things and bad.

I'd stay away from anyone who is obligated to destroy you.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 10:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    We do not have God on our side, it is supposed to be the other way around.
    Religion is responsible for many things good and bad, but that is just saying
    that people are responsible for many things good and bad since we use
    religion to do good things and bad.

I'd stay away from anyone who is obligated to destroy you.
    Kelly
    There are evil people everywhere. Some of them are christians who believe they have their god on their side, fighting with their bible in their hand. Be aware of those christians.

What is your opinion - should be consider the god of the old testament as the christian god?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 10:47
    There are evil people everywhere. Some of them are christians who believe they have their god on their side, fighting with their bible in their hand. Be aware of those christians.

What is your opinion - should be consider the god of the old testament as the christian god?
    There is only one God, many gods.
    As you point out many people use god to justify their actions, while God
    holds us accountable for our actions.

God gives us life and has appointed a time for each of us to die. The God of
    the OT is the God of the NT. If by God's judgment someone has done
    something where God deems it worthy of ending a life after that action He
    can. He will have mercy on who He will have mercy and judgment on who
    He will have judgment.

I'm not sure why you'd think the God of the OT is different than the God of
    the NT.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 11:49
    I stopped reading after your "all religions are manmade and destructive." Everything thereafter is false if your "all religions are manmade and destructive." is true. Nothing can be true and false at the same time.

I agree with you - "all religions are manmade and destructive."
    Fabian, you have the freedom to believe whatever you choose; however, Lucifer is the source of religion (it's his ace trump).
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 11:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Fabian, you have the freedom to believe whatever you choose; however, Lucifer is the source of religion (it's his ace trump).
    Lucifer means "He who brings light".
    As a supernatural being, only christians believe in him. I don't. Do you?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 12:01
    There is only one God, many gods.
    As you point out many people use god to justify their actions, while God
    holds us accountable for our actions.

God gives us life and has appointed a time for each of us to die. The God of
    the OT is the God of the NT. If by God's judgment someone has done
    something where God deems it worthy of ending a life after tha ...[text shortened]... .

I'm not sure why you'd think the God of the OT is different than the God of
    the NT.
    Kelly
    What I think and not think doesn't matter. What christians think is another matter.

One of the paradoxes about the OT is that christians pick and chose from the passages in OT. Genesis? Yes. Glory of wars? No. Profecies? Yes. The god's chosen people? Yes. Death sentence because of mixed fibres in the clothing? No. What to eat (Lamb? Yes) and what not to eat (Pig? No, pig meat is okay.) Commandements? Yes. Other laws? No.

So I would say that there are two gods. One OT and one NT. Because one stands for fear, the other for love. Or perhaps god changes between OT and NT? In that case god is not eternal.

There are a lot of paradoxes. All of them avoided by christians.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 12:27
    What I think and not think doesn't matter. What christians think is another matter.

One of the paradoxes about the OT is that christians pick and chose from the passages in OT. Genesis? Yes. Glory of wars? No. Profecies? Yes. The god's chosen people? Yes. Death sentence because of mixed fibres in the clothing? No. What to eat (Lamb? Yes) and what not t ...[text shortened]... hat case god is not eternal.

There are a lot of paradoxes. All of them avoided by christians.
    I'm a Christian, I read the full OT I don't pick and choose from those I
    like and dislike. I'm also not alone in this so please, refrain from saying
    Christians do this or that when it isn't so.

You saying there are two gods doesn't mean there is, simply due to the
    fact that YOU like and dislike certain verses in the OT over others in the
    NT. Having something you don't understand does not automatically mean
    it is a paradox, it most certainly doesn't mean your lack of understanding
    means "All of them avoided by christians." either. That is a simply your
    prejudce showing.
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 12:411 edit
    I'm a Christian, I read the full OT I don't pick and choose from those I
    like and dislike. I'm also not alone in this so please, refrain from saying
    Christians do this or that when it isn't so.

You saying there are two gods doesn't mean there is, simply due to the
    fact that YOU like and dislike certain verses in the OT over others in the
    NT. Having s ...[text shortened]... ans "All of them avoided by christians." either. That is a simply your
    prejudce showing.
    Kelly
    Okay, I got your point. When I usually say "christians", I normally mean "some christians" or "those christians who" and so on. It's like christians, sorry, some christians, say that atheists this and atheist that, when they mean some atheist etc. Samo, samo.

Okay, so you say all the OT is true, every tiny verse, and all is written as truths, and we should take it by the letter, because it is god himself who has written it, albeit by proxies.

So when NT writes about the loving and caring god, and the OT writes about the bloodthirsty god - in your opinion, is it the same god or not? That's only one of the paradoxes that can be found in the bible. If you can resolve this paradoxes so I can understand it, then I've learned something new, and there is one paradox less in my list.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 14:59
    Lucifer means "He who brings light".
    As a supernatural being, only christians believe in him. I don't. Do you?
    In that deceptive guise, he thoroughly deceived a lovely woman once a long while ago (of course he exists).
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:01
    In that deceptive guise, he thoroughly deceived a lovely woman once a long while ago (of course he exists).
    Of course you believe in the Lightbringer.
    When I was a child I believed in Santa Claus.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:26
    Of course you believe in the Lightbringer.
    When I was a child I believed in Santa Claus.
    At least you realize that you have the capacity 'to believe' even though you picked a fictitious character as a Svenska Bojke.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:36
    At least you realize that you have the capacity 'to believe' even though you picked a fictitious character as a Svenska Bojke.
    Who/what is Svenska Bojke?

When I started to think for myself, I realized that Santa Claus was just a 'fictitious character' the adult had fooled me with so I would be nice all the year.
    Lucifer is also a 'fictitious character' made up of a reason.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:54
    sonhouse, I fully agree with the premise: all religions are manmade and destructive. Each is a counterfeit with different methods which amount to man by man's efforts trying to gain the approbation of some higher authority. In Christianity, the work has already been accomplished through Christ's Substitutionary Spiritual Death at Golgotha ...[text shortened]... a result, God offers the Grace Gift of Salvation to all mankind by faith alone in Christ alone.
    So the back story you are trying to convey is Christianity is not a religion unlike all those "Others"?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:55
    Who/what is Svenska Bojke?

When I started to think for myself, I realized that Santa Claus was just a 'fictitious character' the adult had fooled me with so I would be nice all the year.
    Lucifer is also a 'fictitious character' made up of a reason.
    I think it is Swedish for Swedish boy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree