1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 11:14
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The sweeping generalization encapsulated by your thread title is wrong.
    Ok, where do YOU think religious inspiration comes from?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 11:59
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Ok, where do YOU think religious inspiration comes from?
    From the various religions that the inspired people are adherents to..
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 15:56
    From the various religions that the inspired people are adherents to..
    So what do you think inspired the very first writer of religious thought? A person had to put the first religion down in writing at some point in time, presumably the religion was older than writing so the original author would not be known. But new religions that sprang up after the first one was written, that person had an inspiration. Are you assuming that inspiration to be from a deity?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 20:26
    So what do you think inspired the very first writer of religious thought? A person had to put the first religion down in writing at some point in time, presumably the religion was older than writing so the original author would not be known. But new religions that sprang up after the first one was written, that person had an inspiration. Are you assuming that inspiration to be from a deity?
    Everyone's knows you are an atheist, sonhouse. Everyone's knows you don't believe in a god or gods or "a deity". And everyone's knows you don't like religions. What does asking me if I believe in the existence of "a deity" have to do with anything? You want to know if I am a religious person, is that it?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 22:53
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    I honestly hadn't noticed. Maybe they need to pull them out first 🙂)
    I'm just sensitive to stuff like that.
    FMF and Dive (and others) seem to get thumbs down all the time for asking reasonable questions ...

I just wanna know why??
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 00:18
    Everyone's knows you are an atheist, sonhouse. Everyone's knows you don't believe in a god or gods or "a deity". And everyone's knows you don't like religions. What does asking me if I believe in the existence of "a deity" have to do with anything? You want to know if I am a religious person, is that it?
    I already know you are atheist, you have said so a number of times. I was trying to suss out what you thought was the inspiration for religious writing.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 01:00
    I already know you are atheist, you have said so a number of times.
    Have I? Then why are you asking me "Are you assuming that inspiration to be from a deity?"
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 01:02
    I was trying to suss out what you thought was the inspiration for religious writing.
    Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" according to Google. So this "belief" is the inspiration.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 10:07
    Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" according to Google. So this "belief" is the inspiration.
    Semantics. Ok I get it. You don't really want to talk to me so you just equivicate and obfuscate and such. Ok so beit.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 10:201 edit
    Semantics. Ok I get it. You don't really want to talk to me so you just equivicate and obfuscate and such. Ok so beit.
    I think you're being a bit of an oaf about your atheism, actually. I am not equivocating at all. Yes, I get it, you don't believe in religions. And bears poo in the woods. But the fact you don't believe in gods/religions doesn't mean that people are not inspired to great feats by religions. Why would I want to talk to you about your atheism when you're asking me cretinous questions like "Are you assuming that inspiration to be from a deity?"
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 12:583 edits
    I think you're being a bit of an oaf about your atheism, actually. I am not equivocating at all. Yes, I get it, you don't believe in religions. And bears poo in the woods. But the fact you don't believe in gods/religions doesn't mean that people are not inspired to great feats by religions. Why would I want to talk to you about your atheism when you're asking me cretinous questions like "Are you assuming that inspiration to be from a deity?"
    Yes, abundantly clear what your position is. However you want to slant it, the ultimate inspiration for the writings of religion comes from humans only. Humans see patterns around them and it used to be and still is in some societies, were signs from god or gods. It is still the human gettiing inspired by events we would now know to be natural, like thunder, volcano's and such.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 13:091 edit
    Yes, abundantly clear what your position is. However you want to slant it, the ultimate inspiration for the writings of religion comes from humans only. Humans see patterns around them and it used to be and still is in some societies, were signs from god or gods. It is still the human gettiing inspired by events we would now know to be natural, like thunder, volcano's and such.
    Everyone knows that you're an atheist, don't believe in god or gods blah blah blah, and that you hate religions, sonhouse. Everyone knows.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 14:58
    Everyone knows that you're an atheist, don't believe in god or gods blah blah blah, and that you hate religions, sonhouse. Everyone knows.
    So you keep saying. Do you also want it on a 20 foot LED roadsign? I think everyone here is aware of my stance. Is there some reason you are reticent to admit your own atheism? Or is the bottom line you are still pissed I said early on you were a sociopath? I take that back BTW if that helps. I was under the influence of Suz.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 15:26
    So you keep saying. Do you also want it on a 20 foot LED roadsign? I think everyone here is aware of my stance. Is there some reason you are reticent to admit your own atheism? Or is the bottom line you are still pissed I said early on you were a sociopath? I take that back BTW if that helps. I was under the influence of Suz.
    Take it to WeChat or Facebook or some such, sonhouse.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 09:48
    Take it to WeChat or Facebook or some such, sonhouse.
    So the clear answer is yes. Ok.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree