3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 03:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    ........ and?

Did you have a point here?
    Some of the tenants of christian dogma getting undercut by rational thinking people.
    It's a good sign when people start thinking for themselves instead of just following the party line of profound brainwashing.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 04:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Some of the tenants of christian dogma getting undercut by rational thinking people.
    It's a good sign when people start thinking for themselves instead of just following the party line of profound brainwashing.
    Do you think it's possible that people could be thinking for themselves already when you accuse them of being profoundly brainwashed?

Or does "being Christian" = "being profoundly brainwashed" automatically?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 05:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Do you think it's possible that people could be thinking for themselves already when you accuse them of being profoundly brainwashed?

Or does "being Christian" = "being profoundly brainwashed" automatically?
    Exactly, that is what he thinks. 😀
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 05:181 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Exactly, that is what he thinks. 😀
    It is a credit to you that the hateful things you often say in this chat room do not usually extend to homosexuals, possibly on account of the fact that you have a homosexual son. Thus, it would be a far more interesting contribution from you - as a fundamentalist Christian with a grown up homosexual child - to hear what you actually think about the info in the OP, rather than just hear you make some meaningless, umpteenth, unfunny cheap shot at sonhouse. There is no reason why you can't be a more engaging and worthy forum participant than you have been in the past.
  7. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 10:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is a credit to you that the hateful things you often say in this chat room do not usually extend to homosexuals, possibly on account of the fact that you have a homosexual son. Thus, it would be a far more interesting contribution from you - as a fundamentalist Christian with a grown up homosexual child - to hear what you actually think about the info in the ...[text shortened]... n why you can't be a more engaging and worthy forum participant than you have been in the past.
    Spot on
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is a credit to you that the hateful things you often say in this chat room do not usually extend to homosexuals, possibly on account of the fact that you have a homosexual son. Thus, it would be a far more interesting contribution from you - as a fundamentalist Christian with a grown up homosexual child - to hear what you actually think about the info in the ...[text shortened]... n why you can't be a more engaging and worthy forum participant than you have been in the past.
    since when is it a credit to one to not hate a group who has done nothing to deserve hate? you are supposed to do that. i have never murdered anyone. do i deserve praise for that?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 11:50
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    since when is it a credit to one to not hate a group who has done nothing to deserve hate? you are supposed to do that. i have never murdered anyone. do i deserve praise for that?
    Well there are many people with religious beliefs similar to RJHinds' who believe that homosexuals deserve to be hated and condemned - and perhaps you too for not agreeing with them - so I reckon he deserves some credit for rising above this, even if it is caused by the fact that he cannot bring himself to hate his own son. Hooray for the goodness of the human spirit prevailing in the face of prejudice. I'll say hooray for your ungenerous approach too one day perhaps, if and when I see it achieve anything in terms of changing the minds of hardened bigots.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 08:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well there are many people with religious beliefs similar to RJHinds' who believe that homosexuals deserve to be hated and condemned - and perhaps you too for not agreeing with them - so I reckon he deserves some credit for rising above this, even if it is caused by the fact that he cannot bring himself to hate his own son. Hooray for the goodness of the human s ...[text shortened]... haps, if and when I see it achieve anything in terms of changing the minds of hardened bigots.
    praising someone for not hating is one of the reasons we still have that hate. as if not hating someone based on race is outstanding and not a normal state of mind like "today i am not going to murder anyone". someone defending a black person about to get lynched (at the risk and perhaps cost of his own life) is worthy of praise. i don't think someone not being at the lynching is worthy of praise. "congrats, you stayed at home and did nothing".

rj does what a normal parent is supposed to do. i don't praise him for it anymore than i would praise someone who feeds, clothes and educate his children.

you must do something out of the ordinary to be worthy of praise. as long as you consider not being racist, bigot, sexist, etc as worthy of hate, you help perpetuate those irrational states of mind.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 09:10
    praising someone for not hating is one of the reasons we still have that hate. as if not hating someone based on race is outstanding and not a normal state of mind like "today i am not going to murder anyone". someone defending a black person about to get lynched (at the risk and perhaps cost of his own life) is worthy of praise. i don't think someone not b ...[text shortened]... bigot, sexist, etc as worthy of hate, you help perpetuate those irrational states of mind.
    If your way of dealing with bigots works for you, and has a positive effect on them, then good for you. I would say that much of your post is incoherent to me, but if you have had some success with your approach, then that's great.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 11:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    If your way of dealing with bigots works for you, and has a positive effect on them, then good for you. I would say that much of your post is incoherent to me, but if you have had some success with your approach, then that's great.
    incoherent how? like how i repeat one simple rule over and over?

what do you propose? giving a cookie to the KKK member every day he is not out beating, harassing (or in the past, lynching) a black person? maybe merit badges?

you get awards for being among the first, the elite. you don't get awards for being the norm. the police is not handing out awards for not breaking the laws. stop congratulating rjhinds for not hating gays because he has a gay son, because it is insulting to every decent average human not hating gays because it is the right thing to do.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 11:52
    incoherent how? like how i repeat one simple rule over and over?

what do you propose? giving a cookie to the KKK member every day he is not out beating, harassing (or in the past, lynching) a black person? maybe merit badges?

you get awards for being among the first, the elite. you don't get awards for being the norm. the police is not handing out ...[text shortened]... is insulting to every decent average human not hating gays because it is the right thing to do.
    You're not making sense. I think it's because you just want to be contrary and you are sort of fumbling with a half-baked idea. You are comparing someone performing the act of murder or not performing the act of murder, to someone rethinking and giving up his prejudice against homosexuals, despite the pressure from the 'holy scripture' he has built his belief system on. No one is talking about praising someone for 'not murdering anyone today'. Someone is getting a little bit of credit for thinking something through and edging away from backwardness and darkness, and towards a more moral and tolerant stance.

stop congratulating rjhinds for not hating gays because he has a gay son, because it is insulting to every decent average human not hating gays because it is the right thing to do.

No I won't stop. RJHinds apparently not hating gays is the right thing for him to do, for whatever reason or whatever way he has arrived at that stance. I welcome it. And I give him credit for it. I can't say I've ever met a "decent average human" who would find it "insulting" for me to welcome the rolling back of intolerance.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 12:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're not making sense. I think it's because you just want to be contrary and you are sort of fumbling with a half-baked idea. You are comparing someone performing the act of murder or not performing the act of murder, to someone rethinking and giving up his prejudice against homosexuals, despite the pressure from the 'holy scripture' he has built his belief sy ...[text shortened]... n" who would find it "insulting" for me to welcome the rolling back of intolerance.
    "Someone is getting a little bit of credit for thinking something through and edging away from backwardness and darkness, and towards a more moral and tolerant stance. "
    kind of like the murderer who stopped murdering people. i believe he should be given a cookie too. you not seeing the similarity between the two is your problem.

"No I won't stop."
    it was a figure of speech, i don't really care whether or not you praise mediocrity and common sense. go ahead and praise rjhinds for not being a psychopath.

where are the praises for all "decent average humans" who already came to the same conclusions as rjhinds about gays? where are the double praises for people who didn't have a selfish reason (having a gay son) for not hating gays? what about people getting beaten for standing up for gays? should they receive triple praises and 4 cookies?

you are praising mediocrity, you are advocating the "good enough, now sit back and don't become a normal person all at once or you will hurt yourself" policy
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 12:17
    "Someone is getting a little bit of credit for thinking something through and edging away from backwardness and darkness, and towards a more moral and tolerant stance. "
    kind of like the murderer who stopped murdering people. i believe he should be given a cookie too. you not seeing the similarity between the two is your problem.
    Your attempted analogy about "the murderer who stopped murdering people" doesn't work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree