1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 May '08 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,2644,Car-dealership-advert-tells-atheists-to-shut-up,Telegraph

A car dealership in the US tells atheists to "shut up". So much for Christian tolerance of others.
    I couldn't find that article, but I read through some quotes and found this one I thought was interesting.

"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong."

Richard Dawkins

This is so obvious I can only think that Dawkins must be an idiot to think that some how he has said something profound.

"When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth is, both sides can't be right, but both can be wrong."

josephw
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 May '08 10:31
    Originally posted by josephw
    I couldn't find that article, but I read through some quotes and found this one I thought was interesting.

"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong."

Richard Dawkins

This is so obvious I can only think that ...[text shortened]... l intensity, the truth is, both sides can't be right, but both can be wrong."

josephw
    How do you know that he thinks that's something profound? Sometimes we have to simply point out the obvious to some people.

Like I'm doing now, for example.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 May '08 10:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How do you know that he thinks that's something profound? Sometimes we have to simply point out the obvious to some people.

Like I'm doing now, for example.
    He quotes himself on his own webb site. He obviously thinks he said something that bears quoting.

The quote is incomplete and lacks substance.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 May '08 10:53
    He quotes himself on his own webb site. He obviously thinks he said something that bears quoting.

Like I said, pointing out the obvious is sometimes necessary. That it is relevant doesn't mean it is profound.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '08 10:59
    It bears quoting because a surprisingly large number of people don't get it.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '08 11:00
    A moment ago you said it was obvious.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 May '08 11:32
    I'm sorry that you think a car dealership is representative of anything. This thread tells me more about you than Christians, actually. Have you been learning propaganda tactics with Philidor?
    The fact that you think there is nothing wrong with it tells me lots about you.

What if it had said something like, "Hispanics, shut up!", or "Blacks, shut up!" Would that not be racism?

I never said that every single Christian is intolerant. I never even said that the majority of Christians are intolerant. I merely showed that a segment of the Christian faith is intolerant (remmeber, Christianity is always chirping about how it's a faith of tolerance), and it finds that acceptable to publicise, and apparently the Christian community there had no problem with it. And that's your lesson in Christian hypocracy for today.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 May '08 11:34

Richard Dawkins

This is so obvious I can only think that ...[text shortened]... l intensity, the truth is, both sides can't be right, but both can be wrong."

josephw
    There is a general belief in many people that when there are two opposing viewpoints, the truth must lie somewhere in between. Dawkins is merely pointing out that (very common) fallacy.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '08 11:583 edits
    I never said that every single Christian is intolerant. I never even said that the majority of Christians are intolerant. I merely showed that a segment of the Christian faith is intolerant (remmeber, Christianity is always chirping about how it's a faith of tolerance), and it finds that acceptable to publicise, and apparently the Christian community there had no problem with it. And that's your lesson in Christian hypocracy for today.
    I thought you only showed that one car dealer was intolerant. I hardly call that a 'segment of the Christian faith.'
    As for intolerant Christians, more than half of all racists in history were Christian so you really don't need to look at car dealers for examples. And if we are speaking about religious intolerance then one of may ancestors was a Quaker in England (at the time the Quakers started) and he was imprisoned for not going to Church (or at least not being Anglican).
    The real question is whether or not the car dealer was intolerant because of his religion or because he is just that sort of person.

Don't forget we have a forum member who would chop of someones head over a mere insult.

I doubt that the story made it to the website because of the implication that the car dealer was intolerant but rather to show that such an attitude is deemed acceptable by the public in the area. The car dealer obviously thought that his listeners would sympathize with him. If it had been an anti-Christian advert it would not have been allowed on the radio.

The story also serves to show how people give greater tolerance to that sort of behavior if the offender is of the same religion. If the same story appeared in a Muslim country with an anti-christian slant ("lets squash the 14% christians" ) then there would have been outrage from the christian west
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 May '08 14:481 edit

What if it had said something like, "Hispanics, shut up!", or "Blacks, shut up!" Would that not be racism?

I never said that every single Christian is intolerant. I never even said that the majority of Christians are intolerant. I merely showed that a segment of the here had no problem with it[/i]. And that's your lesson in Christian hypocracy for today.
    Yes, but if the man was white and justifying it with "white power rhetoric", it would tell me nothing about white people. Similarly for other races.

It says something about a car dealership. It says nothing about Christians in general, nor about any particular segment, because this car dealership advert speaks only for...the car dealership.

that's your lesson in Christian hypocracy for today.

And again you use the blanket "Christian" adjective. I thought you said this said nothing about the majority of Christians.

"Hypocracy"[sic]? Look in the mirror. By the way, if I thought you were representative of atheists I would be embarassed.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 May '08 16:09
    "Hypocracy"[sic]? Look in the mirror. By the way, if I thought you were representative of atheists I would be embarassed.
    I don't claim to be a bastion of tolerance.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 May '08 22:22
    There is a general belief in many people that when there are two opposing viewpoints, the truth must lie somewhere in between. Dawkins is merely pointing out that (very common) fallacy.
    I guess so! Still, his quote is incomplete.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 May '08 22:27
    I don't claim to be a bastion of tolerance.
    Hey, aren't the ones that made up the rule that we should be tolerant, intolerant of those of us who are intolerant? 😕
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    31 May '08 02:38

I never said that every single Christian is intolerant. I never even said that the majority of Christians are intolerant. I merely showed that a segment of the ...[text shortened]... here had no problem with it[/i]. And that's your lesson in Christian hypocracy for today.
    I don't often jear that Christianity is a tolerant faith. If by tolerant you mean Christians don't kill people who refuse to convert, then I agree with you. But if you mean it as a live-and-let-live, there are many ways to heaven/I'm OK You're OK, then my experience has been the opposite: if you're not saved you're destined for hell is pretty standatd.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    31 May '08 03:11
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I don't often jear that Christianity is a tolerant faith. If by tolerant you mean Christians don't kill people who refuse to convert, then I agree with you. But if you mean it as a live-and-let-live, there are many ways to heaven/I'm OK You're OK, then my experience has been the opposite: if you're not saved you're destined for hell is pretty standatd.
    Indeed.

Religion is currently one of the most divisive forces on the planet today. The Muslims don't like the Christians, who don't like the Muslims or the atheists, nobody cares much for the Hindus, and everyone ignores the Bhuddists.

As for Palynka, I feel he's too keen to hand religion a free pass when it comes to the actions of their congregation. I mean, where was the pastor of those car salesmen? Had I been there pastor, I'd have gone all Old Testament on their asses!!

The actions of these car salesmen was inspired by religion (but motivated by greed), and caused a lot of offence (nearly 60% of respondents to an online survey found it offensive, but we have no idea the religious persuasion of these people. I would be surprised were there many Christians).

If Christianity wants to declare itself a religion of tolerance, it has to be more proactive in nipping this kind of stuff in the bud, or even denouncing those who push this kind of divisive hate-speach. You can be sure that had they used an advert like "86% percent of people in this country drink Starbuck's coffee, we need to tell the other 14% of Excelsior coffee drinkers to shut up", they'd wind up in court with Starbuck's and Excelsior sueing them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree