1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:23
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So they were hypnotised in much the same way as Benny hypnotises his crowds and hence believed Jesus rose from the dead, is that the best theory you can come up with?
    I think it is probable that Benny Hinn uses strong latent soul power.
    That is a strong soulical or psychic energy which belongs to the natural man.

Both in the east and in the west various disciplines have been developed to tap into the sometimes immense strength of the human soul.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:26
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think it is probable that Benny Hinn uses strong latent soul power.
    You 'endorse' him and believe he performs miracles?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:403 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You 'endorse' him and believe he performs miracles?
    I do not pay a lot of attention to Benny Hinn.
    I do not claim to know a whole truck load lot about Benny Hinn or any other standard pop TV evangelist.

I spent some time a few years ago watching videos of Benny Hinn out of curiosity.
    I think his uttering "FIRE!" and seeing people legitimately fall down on the floor, is a dramatic display of soul power. I don't think it is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Benny Hinn, like me too, will have to give his account of methods before the Lord Jesus Christ at the judgment seat of Christ for Christians. I give the benefit of a doubt that he is a Christian brother. But I do not know that.

I barely have time to explore the vast riches of the word of God and the rich ministry given through what I would consider quite well approved servants of God.

No, i would not send folks to a Benny Hinn event.
    This doesn't mean I am ready with tons of judgment against him.
    I just have better things I would "endorse".

Years ago, i would have perhaps held a different view.
    I think i have more discernment now then at those times "years ago".

I anticipate that your next question will be something like - "Well what about YOU ?"
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:45
    I do not pay a lot of attention to Benny Hinn.
    Even though he is claiming to perform hundreds and hundreds of miracles in the name of Jesus Christ in front of hundreds of thousands of evangelical Christians in massive events in huge arenas? .
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:46
    I anticipate that your next question will be something like - "Well what about YOU ?"
    Do you believe the miracles he claims to perform are genuine?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:49
    It is possible that I left your examples unread or unnoticed.

I would like to have a link to that post.
    But I will take those as your examples distinct from what wolfgang59 might propose.

Link or paste ?
    (Today may be difficult for me to spend a lot of time here).
    As I said, you 'did' respond to the examples i gave. (If you remember I explained that I had chosen 2 more unexpected examples, rather than the 2 biggest contradictions you requested, as I didn't want to trigger predictable explanations from you).

Do you really not remember this?! - In your response you gave a half answer to the first example and said you would respond to the 2nd example when you had more time. - Instead, you wait a few months before asking another poster to provide 2 such examples. (Perhaps you were waiting for easier ones?)

I have no intention of trailing through previous threads trying to find it. In light of the above, I believe that tedious chore is down to you.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:511 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even though he is claiming to perform hundreds and hundreds of miracles in the name of Jesus Christ in front of hundreds of thousands of evangelical Christians in massive events in huge arenas? .
    I do not pay attention overmuch to many spectacularly advertised religious events.

I find that Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Jeremiah have many wise things from God to teach me about the unruly popularized prophets. There is really nothing new under the sun about this.

One learns that gloating over people's failures gets old after awhile. One looks for things which help his faith rather than harm it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:54
    I do not pay attention overmuch to many spectacularly advertised religious events.
    Do you believe actual miracles are never/occasionally/sometimes/often/constantly performed in the name of Jesus Christ by TV evangelists.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:55
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    As I said, you 'did' respond to the examples i gave. (If you remember I explained that I had chosen 2 more unexpected examples, rather than the 2 biggest contradictions you requested, as I didn't want to trigger predictable explanations from you).

Do you really not remember this?! - In your response you gave a half answer to the first example and ...[text shortened]... s threads trying to find it. In light of the above, I believe that tedious chore is down to you.
    I thought you said I didn't respond. Its early. Maybe I miss-read you.

You don't have to dig up the old conversation. I was talking to wolfgang59 anyway this time.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:55
    One learns that gloating over people's failures gets old after awhile. One looks for things which help his faith rather than harm it.
    Which "people's failures" are you referring to? Are we still talking about Benny Hinn?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:56
    I find that [b]Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Jeremiah have many wise things from God to teach me about the unruly popularized prophets. There is really nothing new under the sun about this.[/b]
    "Unruly popularized prophets"?

Are you still talking about Benny Hinn?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 14:018 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you believe actual miracles are never/occasionally/sometimes/often/constantly performed in the name of Jesus Christ by TV evangelists.
    I don't watch them hardly at all.
    I don't own a television.

In days past I use to listen on Sunday morning to such people as Arturo Skinner and Schambach. I watched videos of Oral Roberts, A. A. Allen and Katherine Kulhman.

I attended once a sensational healing meeting with Newark New Jersey based Arturo Skinner and was deeply disappointed. I think it was held at Madison Square Garden in NY. That was the last time I went to a faith healing centered event. That was around 1970-71 abouts.

God does heal people today.
    Sometimes we saw prayer requested healings which perplexed medical doctors.
    No - not every week nor every, or every other month.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '17 14:05
    I thought you said I didn't respond. Its early. Maybe I miss-read you.

You don't have to dig up the old conversation. I was talking to wolfgang59 anyway this time.
    Actually found the thread quite easily. It was called 'Back to Bible Contradictions.'

Point is, you asked for 2 contradictions and then failed to address 1 of them. Why should Wolfgang give you a further 2 contradictions when you still have 1 outstanding to address? - These are the words you posted in regards to my first example:

"That's a good question that I need more time than I have now to contemplate.
    I'll get back to you with my viewpoint."

Still waiting!!!!!!

Here's the unanswered example again:

1. In Leviticus we have God departing laws that He calls 'everlasting' How does this stack up with 'for if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second'? —Heb 8:7
    What are we seeing here sonship, God changing his mind, God revealing imperfections, the divine ability to cause fault?......Or are we just seeing a biblical contradiction?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 14:11
    In days past I use to listen on Sunday morning to such people as Arturo Skinner and Schambach. I watched videos of Oral Roberts, A. A. Allen and Katherine Kulhman.
    Did they claim to perform miracles?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 14:325 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    1. In Leviticus we have God departing laws that He calls 'everlasting' How does this stack up with 'for if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second'? —Heb 8:7

What are we seeing here sonship, God changing his mind, God revealing imperfections, the divine ability to cause fault?......Or are we just seeing a biblical contradiction?

No, I do not see fickleness on God's part in this old covenant / new covenant matter.
    God is not fidgety.

The Apostle Paul says that the law was weak "through the flesh" . That means fallen sin nature makes it weak and ineffective. And Jesus also said that the spirit was willing but the flesh was WEAK.

"For that which the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of the flesh of sin and concerning sin, condemned sin in the flesh." (Rom. 8:3)

The "fault" or "weakness" of the law of Moses is one pertaining to man's fallen nature being unable to live up to it.

You have to give room for God KNOWING something yet needing to DEMONSTRATE what HE KNOWS to stubborn and proud man. That is a man who said at Mt. Sinai - "All that Jehovah has commanded we will do." .

I think of the law of Moses as something like the liquid that the medical doctors use to pour into the sick body. Under X-Ray, the liquid exposes where the cancer is.

Since the fall of Adam, man has thought something like this -

"Oh, is there a problem between us and God now? No big problem. We will take care of that right away."

The view of God in the Bible is more like this - "Man, I created you and established a certain relationship between You and me. Now you have the ability to mess that relationship up. But if you do mess it up you cannot fix it. I have to come in to fix it."

This is a rough paraphrase of an aspect of God's salvation. Much time was needed not for God's sake. But for humanity's sake to see and realize that God has to come in to repair what man, through his freedom, had the ability to damage.

"But God said these laws were to be forever. " I recall that. And Jesus also said this:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill.

But truly I say to you, Until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota or one serif shall by no means pass away from the law until all come to pass.

Therefore whoever annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called the least in the kingdom of the heavens; but whoever practices and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of the heavens.

For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall by no means enter into the kingdom of the heavens." (Matt. 5:17-20)

And the following discussion from verse 21 on explains examples of what the Lord Jesus is meaning. That would be the famous - "You have heard ... but I say to you" passages.

Now this post is getting kind of long now. We may want every matter to be explained modern Internet style - 25 words or less. But less than a superficial reply i wish to give.
    So all has not been said here. i will continue.

But briefly, we do not have a fickle or fidgety God who cannot make up His mind in the Bible. We do have a profound eternal purpose of God to dispense His life into man. And this revelation required, for OUR sake, to unfold progressively over a long period of time.

The morality of the law, Jesus uplifted, made even more penetrating, and heightened.
    Many ordinance and ritual portions of the law Jesus undercut, purposely offended, went out of His way to break.

I stop here for length.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree