Resurrection verses Reincarnation

Resurrection verses Reincarnation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
16 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
Is there eye witness evidence, in your view, that "Old Testament saints" rose from the dead and appeared in the city of Jerusalem after Jesus was executed?
As I said I have no reason to believe the authors of the gospels were lying. Do you?

F

Moves
16 May 17

Originally posted by dj2becker
When you were a Christian you believed you believed the gospels were written by people who knew Jesus.
No I didn't. But it didn't really matter to me. My faith transcended such issues.

F

Moves
16 May 17

As I said I have no reason to believe the authors of the gospels were lying. Do you?
I am sure that the early Christians who wrote and worked on texts ~ and rejected countless gospels in the process ~ as they tried to establish a post-Jewish cult of personality centred on Jesus in the decades and even centuries after he was executed by the Romans, were just as sincere and adamant as you are.

F

Moves
16 May 17

FMF: Is there eye witness evidence, in your view, that "Old Testament saints" rose from the dead and appeared in the city of Jerusalem after Jesus was executed?

My question is about whether there is eye witness evidence of these other resurrections. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

F

Moves
16 May 17
1 edit

Then you read some stuff which you cannot specifically name ...

It would be more accurate to say that I cannot be bothered to specifically name it, as you know (because I've told you so) and I am certainly not going to go toe to toe with you copy pasting stuff from the internet.

...and you just suddenly realized that what you used to believe was not credible?

It wasn't sudden. It was gradual. Very gradual. I told you this before. I specifically told you that it was not a sudden process. I note that you choose to ignore this for effect now.

So can you tell me exactly what you read that changed your mind?

No.

I am content to simply tell you what my conclusions were.

Moves
16 May 17
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
No I didn't. But it didn't really matter to me. My faith transcended such issues.
But if your faith transcended such issues what made you change your mind about the authenticity of the gospels? Was your faith eroded by your reading of anti Christian propaganda?

Moves
16 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
I am sure that the early Christians who wrote and worked on texts ~ and rejected countless gospels in the process ~ as they tried to establish a post-Jewish cult of personality centred on Jesus in the decades and even centuries after he was executed by the Romans, were just as sincere and adamant as you are.
Ok so if you believe that people who translated the gospels were sincere (and therefore not deceitful) on what basis do you reject the authenticity of the gospels?

Moves
16 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
My question is about whether there is eye witness evidence of these other resurrections. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to.
Well if they are recorded in the gospels and the authors were sincere (not lying) then I am sure their accounts were based on actual things that they had seen or were able to verify.

Moves
16 May 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Then you read some stuff which you cannot specifically name ...

It would be more accurate to say that I cannot be bothered to specifically name it, as you know (because I've told you so) and I am certainly not going to go toe to toe with you copy pasting stuff from the internet.

...and you just suddenly realized that what you used to believe was ...[text shortened]... that changed your mind?

No.

I am content to simply tell you what my conclusions were.[/b]
Ok if you are happy making a claim without being prepared to back it up that's fine with me.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 May 17

Then you obviously have no idea why writers of other religious texts were lying?
Do you believe the book of Mormon?
Scientology?
Popul Vah?
Or the disconunted books of Christianity?

OR ARE THEY ALL TELLING THE TRUTH?

F

Moves
16 May 17
2 edits

But if your faith transcended such issues what made you change your mind about the authenticity of the gospels?
You have asked me this question before. In fact you asked it so many times that you felt the need to apologize, to blame your behaviour on how you were allegedly once in a cult, and you even declared that you were going to take a break from the web site (although you did not end up doing so). I have answered the question as to the process I went through that caused me to realize I was no longer a Christian in so far as ~ and in the way ~ I want to. There is no need for you to ask me again and again. You already have my answer.

F

Moves
16 May 17

Ok if you are happy making a claim without being prepared to back it up that's fine with me.
I have shared my viewpoint with you. I am happy with that.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 May 17

Ok so if you believe that people who translated the gospels were sincere (and therefore not deceitful) on what basis do you reject the authenticity of the gospels?
4 gospels.
Any fool can see that they are contradictory in places and plagiarised in others.
I cant be bothered checking but they were all written approx. 200 CE weren't they?

Can you imagine what Christianity looked like up until Constantine?
Just another fringe religion. A Jewish cult.
Bigged up for political reasons.

F

Moves
16 May 17

I don't have a reason to believe the gospel writers were
1. imposters, or
2. lying,

if you have any please share it.
I think the psychological phenomena at work would have been very similar to those affecting large numbers of sincere and earnest people walking away from huge arenas convinced that Benny Hinn had performed numerous miracles in front of their very eyes.

F

Moves
16 May 17

Was your faith eroded by your reading of anti Christian propaganda?
No, not really. I can scarcely remember reading much atheist analysis when I was a Christian. In fact, I've not read very much since I became an ex-Christian either. I was not aware of the "Atheist Bible" you mentioned, for example.