1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '17 14:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Then you obviously have no idea why writers of other religious texts were lying?
    Do you believe the book of Mormon?
    Scientology?
    Popul Vah?
    Or the disconunted books of Christianity?

OR ARE THEY ALL TELLING THE TRUTH?
    So in your mind if I find the Bible to be credible I have to find every other religious book to be credible as well? 🙄
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '17 15:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have asked me this question before. In fact you asked it so many times that you felt the need to apologize, to blame your behaviour on how you were allegedly once in a cult, and you even declared that you were going to take a break from the web site (although you did not end up doing so). I have answered the question as to the process I went through that cau ...[text shortened]... way ~ I want to. There is no need for you to ask me again and again. You already have my answer.
    Yes yes I have heard the tale of how it took you about a decade to realize you weren't a Christian any longer and that it was all a comatose realization without any critical thinking, weighing up of evidence or rational decision from your part. I just don't buy it.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '17 15:26
    4 gospels.
    Any fool can see that they are contradictory in places and plagiarised in others.
    I cant be bothered checking but they were all written approx. 200 CE weren't they?

Can you imagine what Christianity looked like up until Constantine?
    Just another fringe religion. A Jewish cult.
    Bigged up for political reasons.
    Which particular contradictions do you find irreconcilable?

From the link I gave the ghost:

" William F. Albright, who in
    his day was the world's foremost
    biblical archaeologist, said: "We can
    already say emphatically that there is
    no longer any solid basis for dating any
    book of the New Testament after about
    A.D. 80,..."
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '17 15:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think the psychological phenomena at work would have been very similar to those affecting large numbers of sincere and earnest people walking away from huge arenas convinced that Benny Hinn had performed numerous miracles in front of their very eyes.
    So they were hypnotised in much the same way as Benny hypnotises his crowds and hence believed Jesus rose from the dead, is that the best theory you can come up with?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '17 15:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, not really. I can scarcely remember reading much atheist analysis when I was a Christian. In fact, I've not read very much since I became an ex-Christian either. I was not aware of the "Atheist Bible" you mentioned, for example.
    So what then in particular corroded your faith in the credibility of the Bible?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '17 19:19
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Yes yes I have heard the tale of how it took you about a decade to realize you weren't a Christian any longer and that it was all a comatose realization without any critical thinking, weighing up of evidence or rational decision from your part. I just don't buy it.
    So here you are, telling me that you don't "buy" your own disingenuously paraphrased version of what I have told you. So what?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '17 19:19
    So what then in particular corroded your faith in the credibility of the Bible?
    You are asking me again. Did you not read what I said to you?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '17 19:22
    So they were hypnotised in much the same way as Benny hypnotises his crowds and hence believed Jesus rose from the dead, is that the best theory you can come up with?
    You say Benny Hinn hypnotizes people?
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 May '17 20:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I thought you once claimed you understood what reincarnation was? Perhaps not. Anyway it certainly has nothing to do with the longevity or teleportation of brain matter. It is a spiritual concept.
    You didn't disagree that our memories and etc do come from our brains, that they involve our brain matter - which turns to dust. It's a spiritual matter, we are talking about spirt, which animates the brain, lets say. So it doesn't seem to follow that if you reincarnate then your memories etc come along for the ride.

Our spirits are like drops water that return to the sea - and the drops don't exist anymore, not as drops. They just become the sea. Everything good and bad that happens to anyone, happens to all of us. I think I just expressed some secular morality. You heard it from a nature-loving pagan.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 09:276 edits
    4 gospels.
    Any fool can see that they are contradictory in places and plagiarised in others.
    I cant be bothered checking but they were all written approx. 200 CE weren't they?

Can you imagine what Christianity looked like up until Constantine?
    Just another fringe religion. A Jewish cult.
    Bigged up for political reasons.
    4 gospels.

Could you give us examples of, say, your TWO most devastating cases of contradictions?

I would like to examine your contradiction to see -

1.) Is it really a contradiction?

2.) If it is, how damaging it is to the basic tenets of the Christian faith?

Give us your two strongest cases of New Testament contradictions rendering the overall message of the NT unreliable. Since you said that any fool can notice them, this should be very easy for you.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 10:29
    Originally posted by sonship
    Could you give us examples of, say, your TWO most devastating cases of contradictions?
    Why don't you give us two cases of contradictions that you think have at least some merit and that ~ although you can do it ~ you feel are the hardest to explain?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 May '17 10:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why don't you give us two cases of contradictions that you think have at least some merit and that ~ although you can do it ~ you feel are the hardest to explain?
    He made no claim of any contradictions, don't you have any you can come up with?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '17 10:54
    He made no claim of any contradictions, don't you have any you can come up with?
    No, he didn't claim there are contradictions but he has raised this topic - or laid down this challenge - many times before, meaning he knows what objections and observations people make. So I thought it would be interesting if, on this occasion, he just went ahead brought up what he thought were the trickier ones he has to explain. It might make a change.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '17 12:03
    Originally posted by sonship
    4 gospels.

I would like to examine your contradiction to see -

1.) Is it real ...[text shortened]... e NT unreliable. Since you said that any fool can notice them, this should be very easy for you.
    You asked me the exact same question a few months ago. I gave you 2 such examples. The first you half answered and the second you said you would come back to.

You never did.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '17 13:012 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You asked me the exact same question a few months ago. I gave you 2 such examples. The first you half answered and the second you said you would come back to.

You never did.
    It is possible that I left your examples unread or unnoticed.

I would like to have a link to that post.
    But I will take those as your examples distinct from what wolfgang59 might propose.

Link or paste ?
    (Today may be difficult for me to spend a lot of time here).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree