1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '14 11:04
    "focused thought on the above topics with single lines of lean text." Difficult challenge if I'm ignorant of them or in denial.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '14 11:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    In terms of religion, Bible based religions are pretty much the only game in town. Sure, there are others such as Hinduism, but by in large Bible based religions dominate.

If it were not for the Bible, most would probably just have to make up a religion to believe in if they believed there was a God, and some do here. If you do, what is there to debate ...[text shortened]... ut the after life or any other topic of morality while telling everyone else why they are wrong.
    Since human self preservation seeks to maximize pleasure and minimize pain, isn't it logical to avoid threatening topics?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 05:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Since human self preservation seeks to maximize pleasure and minimize pain, isn't it logical to avoid threatening topics?
    Do you think that "threatening topics", such as the notion of eternal torture in burning agony for being an unbeliever, can actually force a person (who does not believe the threat is credible) to change and start believing it? Do you think the notion that a supernatural figure could and would somehow inspire/extort 'genuine love' (by brandishing a threat of eternal torture in burning agony as a punishment) is credible? You have behaved, on several occasions, as if these two questions are "threatening topics" for you. Do you think it is logical for you to avoid addressing them?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 05:25
    I'm still not convinced that English is your first language:- that looks like the product of Google Translate.

(What was the original language?)
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 11:48
    [b]RHP Spirituality Forum Gym Topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."

Let's trim some thread fat by exercising the muscles of focused thought on the above topics with single lines of lean text.

Note: On my hp pavillon zd7000 14.5 inch wide screen laptop 123 characters and spaces fit on a "single line of lean text".[/b]
    The words supernatural and religion are misleading and subjective.

Spirituality deals with absolutes and with what is truth.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 11:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    The words supernatural and religion are misleading and subjective.

Russ obviously wanted this forum to have wide appeal when it was created as a spin off from the Debates Forum.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 12:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm still not convinced that English is your first language:- that looks like the product of Google Translate.

(What was the original language?)
    Here's a link to a language translator you may find useful: http://translation2.paralink.com/English-Swedish-Translator
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 12:111 edit
    RHP Spirituality Forum Gym Topics: "Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after." (OP)

Let's trim some thread fat by exercising the muscles of focused thought on the above topics with single lines of lean text.

Question for Today: Do your thoughts weigh more than your words or do your words weigh more than your thoughts?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 12:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, yeah, so individual posters may believe about their own beliefs, but there is no consensus, so each contribution that members of the community make to the communal contemplation of what may or may not be the "truth", for all intents and purposes, and relevant to each other, are "subjective".
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:394 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think that "threatening topics", such as the notion of eternal torture in burning agony for being an unbeliever, can actually force a person (who does not believe the threat is credible) to change and start believing it? Do you think the notion that a supernatural figure could and would somehow inspire/extort 'genuine love' (by brandishing a threat of eternal torture in burning agony as a punishment) is credible? You have behaved, on several occasions, as if these two questions are "threatening topics" for you. Do you think it is logical for you to avoid addressing them?

If we transfer the question taking "God" out and just refering to humanity I wonder what happens.

Question: Is the topic of Justice a "threatening topic" ?

An Answer: Whether Justice is a threatening topic may depend upon what relationship the topic reviewer has with the authority that will dispense justice.

If I like to drive 75 mph in a residential area where the clearly posted speed limit is 15 mph and a sigh reads "Caution: Children At Play", sure, I might find the Forum topic of "Fines and Tickers for Speeding" to be a "threatening topic"

Question: Is it justice for God to threaten an unbeliever with a endless burning agony ?

An Answer: I think to have no peace towards God is to have no real peace. It is uncomnfortable. The issue may be that if one remains such for an indefinite time, as he continues to do things to alienate himself ever more and more from God, could such discomfort evolve into a "burning agony" of some type ?

I think Yes has to be the answer. One turning his back upon the Son of God and His redemptive work today may only be a lack of inward peace and a discomfort. What would it be in a thousand years ? It could become a "burning agony."

If so it is God's responsibility and goodness to warn us that He knows such is the case. And that He put the matter in terms which communicate the danger that everyone can understand, is not surprising.

It is, afterall, a profound matter of human conscience and being "burned up" from within with a God created conscience that does not argue but only agrees with a sentence of absolute rightness.

I think God has created something in man which agrees with its Creator. And if in eterenity the will of a man has decided to go contrary with that created "brake system" of the God given conscience, yes, a "burning agony" of self devouring irreconcilability could be the doom of the unbeliever.

Question: Is the Brandishing of a Threat Likely to Inspire Love?

An Answer: I don't read the warnings in the Bible as a sadistic brandishing of threats. I do not read the warnings of breaking the 15 mph speed limit as liable to punishment as "brandishing" a threat in this way.

If while on the Titanic some knowledgeable crewman warned me that the ship and everyone on it would be in the icy drowning waters of the Atlantic in a matter of hours, I would not necessarily regard this warning as a brandishing of threats and certainly not with the motive to love the messenger personally.

In the warnings to the unreconciled sinner against a absolutely righteous uncreated and eternal Authority, what WOULD inspire love and has, is to see the extent to which this Governor has gone that I might be SAVED from my sins.

I think these words to a classic hymn "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" express this well -

"Upon that cross of Jesus
    mine eye at times can see
    the very dying form of One
    who suffered there for me;
    and from my stricken heart with tears
    two wonders I confess:
    the wonders of redeeming love
    and my unworthiness. "

But this is the line which may have been added latter, which touches me the most.

"There lies beneath its shadow,
    But on the other side,
    The darkness of an awful grave
    That gapes both deep and wide;
    And there between us stands the cross,
    Two arms outstretched to save,
    Like a watchman set to guard the way
    From that eternal grave."

The imagery of the cross guarding the way so that sinners may not fall into that eternal grave of everlasting separation from God, always moves me. I am so glad God gave me the ability to believe into that One who died on that cross.

So it is the Redeemer that inspires my love.
    The warning of eternal punishment with the backround of the Redeemer inspires love and belief.

Notice that the Gospel does not say one must LOVE the Lord Jesus to be saved. At least that is not nearly as clear. Rather it is that one must BELIEVE into the Redeemer to be saved.

Jesus Christ as Son of God is to me a BELIEVABLE Person.
    And to know how much I have been forgiven in Him, does inspire, in addition to belief, love towards Him and fellow believers.

It also inspires love for unbelieving sinners who need to have the same opportunity I have had.

Length calls for a stop here.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 15:06
    Originally posted by sonship
    [quote] Do you think that "threatening topics", such as the notion of eternal torture in burning agony for being an unbeliever, can actually force a person (who does not believe the threat is credible) to change and start believing it? Do you think the notion that a supernatural figure could and would somehow inspire/extort 'genuine love' (by brandishing a ...[text shortened]... ving sinners who need to have the same opportunity I have had.

The notion that there's eternal torture in burning agony for being an unbeliever is not a threatening topic for me. It's only threatening for those who believe there's truth in it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 15:15
    The warning of eternal punishment with the backround of the Redeemer inspires love and belief.
    How does it inspire belief in someone who simply does not believe?

Isn't trying to "inspire" love with threats of "eternal punishment" simply depraved?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 15:23
    Suzi, irrespective of our different fonts, aren't the fonts and font size of all Red Hot Pawn Forum thread text identical?
    I imagine the font and/or size you use is probably different than the font and/or size I use. Plus, I have a 22" wide screen on my desktop.

I'm just saying that not everyone sees 123 characters on a single line.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 15:32
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Why would a theist?
    At least a theist has something to discuss when discussing the afterlife.

Atheist 1: I don't believe in an afterlife.

Atheist 2: Neither do I.

Conversation over.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 15:55
    [quote] Do you think that "threatening topics", such as the notion of eternal torture in burning agony for being an unbeliever, can actually force a person (who does not believe the threat is credible) to change and start believing it? Do you think the notion that a supernatural figure could and would somehow inspire/extort 'genuine love' (by brandishing a ...[text shortened]... ving sinners who need to have the same opportunity I have had.

"The warning of eternal punishment with the backround[sic] of the Redeemer inspires love and belief. "

quoting Wikipedia:

Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them. The FBI's Hostage Barricade Database System shows that roughly 8% of victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree