1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 11:17
    Originally posted by josephw
    Q) What historical event in recorded human history has had the most profound effect on the world?
    A: Invention of the printing press, perhaps, and all the things it led on to, including the publishing of the Bible in all the languages of the world.

Q: Does any Christian who actually knows what they are about, or who can be bothered to look them up, have any views about the Messianic Jewish evangelical organization called Jews for Jesus?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 12:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    A: Invention of the printing press, perhaps, and all the things it led on to, including the publishing of the Bible in all the languages of the world.

Q: Does any Christian who actually knows what they are about, or who can be bothered to look them up, have any views about the Messianic Jewish evangelical organization called Jews for Jesus?
    An invention hardly qualifies as an event. You could just as easily said the wheel, but that isn't, or wasn't an event either. Inventions can accelerate or hinder historical events I'm sure, but in and of themselves can't be considered an event in the sense of what shapes or causes events that shape history.

A) No. Not interested. I have better things to do and learn about than to preoccupy my time with every wind blowing down the pike. But that's just me!

Q) What ideological, philosophical or theological event has had the most profound effect on human history?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 12:162 edits
    An invention hardly qualifies as an event. You could just as easily said the wheel, but that isn't, or wasn't an event either. Inventions can accelerate or hinder historical events I'm sure, but in and of themselves can't be considered an event in the sense of what shapes or causes events that shape history.
    Of course the invention of something can be an event that shapes history ~ the invention of printing is a premier example; its repercussions were immense. If you have some other event that you choose as your answer to your own question, just go ahead and offer it up.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 12:24
    Q) What ideological, philosophical or theological event has had the most profound effect on human history?
    A: Maybe a combination of the English, French and American revolutions. The Russian Revolution has come and gone, its proffered template vanquished, its "profound effect" limited to the C20th.

Q: What more ghastly and depraved notion has the human imagination conjured up than the torturing of billions of people in burning agony for eternity for a thoughtcrime?
  5. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 13:13
    Originally posted by FMF

I have two comments, FMF.

The first would be that the printing press certainly comes close to an invention that revolutionised society.

An alternative one that comes to mind is the invention of sanitation, specifically the flush toilet around 1775. This caused a major drop in infant mortality and a steep rise in the population growth rate.

As to your question on Jews for Jesus, I do know about it, who makes up its membership and what they preach (mainly to fellow Jews). If you ask me for my views, these would be that there are probably sincere and honest members, (whom I could relate to) as well as fanatical closed-minded members, (as occurs in any group) who would be on a different planet from me. Maybe not a satisfactory answer?
  6. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Q: What more ghastly and depraved notion has the human imagination conjured up than the torturing of billions of people in burning agony for eternity for a thoughtcrime?
    A: None imaginable. I am only saddened by the fact that most proponents of this doctrine have never thought it through, nor realised that it was an invention of the Middle Ages.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 13:34
    Originally posted by CalJust
    A: None imaginable. I am only saddened by the fact that most proponents of this doctrine have never thought it through, nor realised that it was an invention of the Middle Ages.
    Many here have thought it through and are still subscribers; I enjoy being the torchee in question as the test case and not one single Christian will defend me against another Christians claim that I will be burnt for eternity (as a Christian) for denying the doctrine of burning for eternity.

It disgusts me beyond belief. I do not class myself as sharing the same God as these people.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 14:011 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Q. At what age did you experience an awareness of the possibility that God existed?

I think the age for me would have been around four or five.
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 14:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    ........ another Christians claim that I will be burnt for eternity (as a Christian) for denying the doctrine of burning for eternity.

It disgusts me beyond belief. I do not class myself as sharing the same God as these people.
    By the power vested in me, I absolve you from all guilt due to erroneous belief. You will not burn in hell, I guarantee it.

The good news, however, is that you DO share the same God as these people - and in fact, as all people. It is just that some draw their own caricatures of what they think their god is. Sort of putting the Infinite into a mental box of their own creation.

Which, obviously, doesn't change anything about god at all!
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 15:07
    Q. Do animals have a soul?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 15:14
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Q. Do animals have a soul?
    I think the answer is yes.

Job 12:10 a few translations:

Jubilee Bible 2000
    In his hand is the soul of every living thing and the spirit of all flesh of man.

King James 2000 Bible
    In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
    In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind?

Douay-Rheims Bible
    In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the spirit of all flesh of man.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 15:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    RHP Spirituality Forum Q & A / 2015

"Please pose an honest question regarding topics in the spiritual realm after answering the last question previously asked.

Q. Most significant life altering decision I've made was to believe in the person and work of Jesus Christ: What was yours?"

A.

Addendum to Format: If you have additional answer related comments, please utilize a Footnote for the purpose. Thanks,
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think the answer is yes.

Job 12:10 a few translations:

Jubilee Bible 2000
    In his hand is the soul of every living thing and the spirit of all flesh of man.

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version
    In whose h
    In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the spirit of all flesh of man.
    Q. Your question for the next poster to answer? Omitting it serves to break the Q & A Daisy Chain, so to speak. Thank you.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 15:55
    Q. Why is there nothing else on the earth quite like a human being?

A.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 16:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    Q. Why is there nothing else on the earth quite like a human being?

A.
    A: Evolution by natural selection.

Q: How important do you think it is to respect the right of another person to follow his/her own spiritual path?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree