1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 06:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Longer hair can happen due to a single base pair change in DNA. The question being posed to you is whether or not you believe that it is possible for a life form, without direct interference from God, can, during its reproduction, make an error in copying DNA such that a single base pair gets changed.
    The second question is whether you believe the above ...[text shortened]... ne by design?
    Kelly

No. Nobody is asking you to believe in a mutation. Its not a religion.[/b]
    I believe in random mutations, I do not believe you can introduce massive random
    changes over time to build new systems within a life form. I also beg to differ on
    religion, there are more than a few people here to defend evolution with more
    passion than believers in God do. They use it to define their lives and build into it
    meaning and everything else. You don't need a god to have a religion!
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 06:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]Not completely, since like in any code there are rules that must be followed

This is true, but no one is stating that every mutation is beneficial to an organism. Most are either benign or harmful, only some are useful.[/b]
    I say so what! The fact that you are telling me 'random mutations' are being
    introduced and stable systems are result should tell you, you smoking something!
    Kelly
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 07:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The worm would always be in a constant state of change through mutations, there are no
    rules that say mutations must leave the healthy as is so all life would be in
    a state of flux would it not?
    Yes, life is always in a state of flux. A crocodile of today may look like a crocodile of millions of years ago, but if you looked carefully at the DNA there would be significant differences.

I get that you and others here believe that only good changes stay,
    Not quite. We believe that excessively harmful changes do not stay (because they kill the host). We also believe that natural selection results in a bias towards good changes.
    But there are many changes that are neutral, or mildly harmful that stay too - as you probably know, humans have many genetic diseases (harmful mutations) that are not necessarily fatal.

but that is a stacked deck that seems completely
    unrealistic to me, only a true believe could hold to such a notion.

We don't.

It is a stacked deck that can never fail, yea good ones remain so there is always life, it is
    not realistic, considering all the changes that would have had to happen!
    Kelly

Please expand on that in the light of what I have said above.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 07:321 edit
    I believe in random mutations, I do not believe you can introduce massive random
    changes over time to build new systems within a life form.
    I don't think you have yet answered the question regarding hair length.
    Do you accept that a single mutation can result in longer hair, and that this can result in greater survivability of the animal in question?

I also beg to differ on religion, there are more than a few people here to defend evolution with more passion than believers in God do. They use it to define their lives and build into it meaning and everything else. You don't need a god to have a religion!
    Kelly

Can you give me an example of such a person? I don't think I can think of anyone here that I would describe as using the theory of evolution to define their lives. I certainly do not.

And certainly, nobody in this thread is asking you to take up evolution as a religion, nor asking you to use it to define your life.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 09:28
    I say so what! The fact that you are telling me 'random mutations' are being
    introduced and stable systems are result should tell you, you smoking something!
    Kelly
    Nothing being smoked this end Kelly.

Let me just clarify here where the sticking point is. You accept that coding mistakes can happen when an organism is made. You accept these coding mistakes in the DNA can lead to 'mutations'.

Correct so far?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:15
    Nothing being smoked this end Kelly.

Let me just clarify here where the sticking point is. You accept that coding mistakes can happen when an organism is made. You accept these coding mistakes in the DNA can lead to 'mutations'.

Correct so far?
    I'll give there are mutations within stable systems that seem to have that as part
    of their natural make up (as if by design), that is not the samething as saying you
    can get extreme complex living system with multi-levels of complexity all springing
    forward from random mutations! Again, think about that! Stable system generated
    by throwing together things randomly in a ever diverse enviroment that is very
    harsh.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:161 edit
    I don't think you have yet answered the question regarding hair length.
    Do you accept that a single mutation can result in longer hair, and that this can result in greater survivability of the animal in question?

[b]I also beg to differ on religion, there are more than a few people here to defend evolution with more passion than believers in God do. T asking you to take up evolution as a religion, nor asking you to use it to define your life.
    "Do you accept that a single mutation can result in longer hair, and that this can result in greater survivability of the animal in question?"

[/b]I don't know, but if you say you can prove I'll read your proof.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:19
    Yes, life is always in a state of flux. A crocodile of today may look like a crocodile of millions of years ago, but if you looked carefully at the DNA there would be significant differences.

[b]I get that you and others here believe that only good changes stay,

Not quite. We believe that excessively harmful changes do not stay (because they kill ...[text shortened]... d have had to happen!
    Kelly[/b]
    Please expand on that in the light of what I have said above.[/b]
    "Yes, life is always in a state of flux. A crocodile of today may look like a crocodile of millions of years ago, but if you looked carefully at the DNA there would be significant differences. "

Again there are different types of crocodiles today, and you know you not looking
    at just another type that died off a while ago why? It does not mean that one
    came from the other it could also mean that they are just close in appearances.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:201 edit
    I'll give there are mutations within stable systems that seem to have that as part
    of their natural make up (as if by design), that is not the samething as saying you
    can get extreme complex living system with multi-levels of complexity all springing
    forward from random mutations! Again, think about that! Stable system generated
    by throwing together things randomly in a ever diverse enviroment that is very
    harsh.
    Kelly
    You're going to have to define what a 'stable system' is before we proceed.

Out of curiosity have you ever read any books on evolution written by an evolutionary biologist?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:21

[b]I get that you and others here believe that only good changes stay,

Not quite. We believe that excessively harmful changes do not stay (because they kill ...[text shortened]... d have had to happen!
    Kelly[/b]
    Please expand on that in the light of what I have said above.[/b]
    but that is a stacked deck that seems completely
    unrealistic to me, only a true believe could hold to such a notion.

We don't.

Oh yes you do, you hold that life has been going through a countless amount of
    change over billions of years and that life always remains in the end.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:22
    "Do you accept that a single mutation can result in longer hair, and that this can result in greater survivability of the animal in question?"

I don't know, but if you say you can prove I'll read your proof.
    Kelly[/b]
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17433015
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 15:422 edits

I don't know, but if you say you can prove I'll read your proof.
    Kelly[/b]
    “poof” of what? That there can be a mutation that gives rise to long hair or that long hair can give an animal a greater survival advantage?

If the former, then just look at the link  Proper Knob has just given:

if the latter, why couldn't longer hair give an animal a greater survival advantage in an environment that has got colder? surely you don't require "proof" of this! -just reasoning.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 21:45
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Aw, bummer! I thought he was being quite receptive and reasonable too.

So we now know that Kelly has problems starting from point 4 but we have not yet found Karoly's line. Karoly, can Proper Knob continue? Do you accept his latest point?

--- Penguin.
    Everything was clear until Kelly came along...
    (No offense, Kelly)
    But I think i was more or less in agreement with Proper Knob thus far...
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '11 06:10
    Thank you, I now more about FGF5 gene than I did before.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '11 06:11
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Everything was clear until Kelly came along...
    (No offense, Kelly)
    But I think i was more or less in agreement with Proper Knob thus far...
    On what part was that, that you can throw together random mutations over and
    over again non-stop and as a direct result get stable systems in living creatures?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree