1. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:272 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    googlefudge has pretty much summed up where i was going with this. it puts god in a difficult position. if he already knew what was going to happen when he created adam, eve and satan, it begs the obvious question - why not just make a better version of them??? unless he cant, if he has no control over freewill and creates a being anyway (already knowin ...[text shortened]... no way of making sure something is going to be good and just rolls the dice or god doesnt care.
    sigh, how long heavenly father must i dwell among them? 😛

why not make a better version, simple, it did not solve any of the issues that were raised, those being,

1.Gods universal sovereignty, does God have the right to that sovereignty
    2. Vindication of Gods name (it was asserted that God was a liar and that humans would be better off morally independent)

remaking Adam and Eve would have solved none of these issues, thus God allowed the creation to be subject to futility and provided the Christ as a way for persons to redeem themselves from it. Its absolutely amazing in our eyes that he has done so, the greatest act of love, ever.

the rest of your assertions betrays a lack of understanding of these two central universal issues and its no surprise that your perspective is somewhat distorted.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:291 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    free will has never been absolute and remains relative.
    Ok. lets make this simpler.

Do you believe that the universe is completely deterministic?

So like a film, it plays out a predetermined series of events.

EDIT: also, free will is relative to what?
    That doesn't even make sense.
    Did you mean free will is limited and/or restricted and not absolute?
    If so, I wouldn't disagree... But my point is that in the scenario you are
    describing free will isn't restricted it's non-existent.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:31

why not make a better version, simple, it did not solve any of the issues that were raised, those being,

2. Vindication of Gods name (it was asserted that God was a liar and that humans would be better off moral ...[text shortened]... se two central universal issues and its no surprise that your perspective is somewhat distorted.

Um, no, no he doesn't.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:33
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ok. lets make this simpler.

Do you believe that the universe is completely deterministic?

So like a film, it plays out a predetermined series of events.
    sigh i have already explained, even if events are predetermined, we still have a relative measure of free will as to whether we comply with the demands of those events or not. We are not like a hijacked aeroplane in which the passengers have no choice, you have a choice to submit to Gods sovereignty or not, relative free will. Why this should be difficult for you to understand I cannot say?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:34

Um, no, no he doesn't.
    yes and you were also a world war one flying ace, awesome.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:37
    sigh i have already explained, even if events are predetermined, we still have a relative measure of free will as to whether we comply with the demands of those events or not. We are not like a hijacked aeroplane in which the passengers have no choice, you have a choice to submit to Gods sovereignty or not, relative free will. Why this should be difficult for you to understand I cannot say?
    No you haven't explained... although you might have stated.

If the universe is pre-determined we don't have a choice.

We are PART of the universe, our minds made of stuff in this universe.

If the universe is predetermined, which is a requirement for god or anyone else
    to predict or see the future perfectly into eternity, then our mind states are
    also predetermined.
    We would have no ability to change the thoughts we have as they would have
    been determined at the moment of creation.

Why this is hard for you to understand eludes me.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:37
    yes and you were also a world war one flying ace, awesome.
    You asked. That's the answer.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:40
    your opinions are meaningless without corroborating evidence
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:431 edit
    No you haven't explained... although you might have stated.

If the universe is pre-determined we don't have a choice.

We are PART of the universe, our minds made of stuff in this universe.

If the universe is predetermined, which is a requirement for god or anyone else
    to predict or see the future perfectly into eternity, then our mind states ...[text shortened]...
    been determined at the moment of creation.

Why this is hard for you to understand eludes me.
    yes you do have a choice as i have already explained, if on an island in which a volcano is violently active and spewing ash and molten lava and will imminently erupt, you have a choice to stay or leave, to say that you have no choice because its been predetermined that it will erupt at some point in the future is ludicrous.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:46
    thumbed up two posts, your Karma should be coming good now.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:48
    your opinions are meaningless without corroborating evidence
    You want me to provide evidence that your god isn't the ruler of the universe when you can't provide me evidence that he exists?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:51
    You want me to provide evidence that your god isn't the ruler of the universe when you can't provide me evidence that he exists?
    I want you to provide evidence that God has no right to rule the universe as you have asserted. You cannot prove or disprove Gods existence, for you and me, its a matter of faith.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:53

2. Vindication of Gods name (it was asserted that God was a liar and that humans would be better off moral ...[text shortened]... se two central universal issues and its no surprise that your perspective is somewhat distorted.

duh!! the issues you are referring to wouldnt have arisen if a better adam,eve and satan had been made.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:55
    yes you do have a choice as i have already explained, if on an island in which a volcano is violently active and spewing ash and molten lava and will imminently erupt, you have a choice to stay or leave, to say that you have no choice because its been predetermined that it will erupt at some point in the future is ludicrous.
    I know you keep saying I have a choice... But I think you are wrong and you are not
    listening to me explain why I think that.

If you think my explanation of why is wrong then you need to say why and not
    just keep restating your position... I KNOW your position, and think it's wrong.

That's why we are having this discussion.

In a deterministic universe. EVERYTHING is predetermined, from the motions
    of the stars and planets to volcanic eruptions to the individual subatomic particles
    that together make up your mind.

Given that in a deterministic universe every single particle of your body is following
    a pre-determined path from which it cannot alter then there is no ability to choose
    what that body does by the mind encased inside it.
    Even IF that mind were not, as in reality it is, the product of the physical brain that
    is just as predetermined as everything else.

So in your scenario, the person living on the island is as predetermined as the volcano
    and thus the choice they make to stay or go was decided at the moment of the universes
    creation as an inevitable consequence of everything that occurred from the beginning of
    time to the present.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:56
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b]why not make a better version, simple, it did not solve any of the issues that were raised, those being,

duh!! the issues you are referring to wouldnt have arisen if a better adam,eve and satan had been made.[/b]
    duh, yes they would, Adam and Eve were perfect!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree