1. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 13:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I suspect that he could change the outcome, yes, but may choose not to for certain reasons, for example he allowed the Canaanites to rebel until their sin had reached a fullness, he allowed Job to be tempted in order to test his integrity, allowed the Christ to suffer because it accomplished a purpose. No doubt God could have changed the outcome but chose not to for various reasons.
    Maybe we are living in one of the futures that he is going to change? eg maybe he will stop the Canaanites from rebelling.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 15:201 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    god has a bad track record with creation. three of his first key creations with freewill (adam, eve and satan) went bad and between them have caused centuries of pain and mayhem. apparently 1/3 of angels also went bad.

so from this we can figure out that when god creates a creature with free will he is effectively rolling the dice. he has no idea if ...[text shortened]... one day and stay, god is perfect though (they argue) but wasnt satan also described as perfect?
    "god has a bad track record with creation. three of his first key creations with freewill (adam, eve and satan)"

stellspalfie, there were three creations: Angelic in Eternity (past), one of which was Lucifer (or Satan); the first
    two Human Beings (within the Universe); the Pyramidal Food Chain to support itself and human life (on Earth).
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:13
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "god has a bad track record with creation. three of his first key creations with freewill (adam, eve and satan)"

stellspalfie, there were three creations: Angelic in Eternity (past), one of which was Lucifer (or Satan); the first
    two Human Beings (within the Universe); the Pyramidal Food Chain to support itself and human life (on Earth).
    errm, youve lost me. you seem to be just quoting me and then rewording my quote..with the addition of irrelevant stuff about food chains.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:16
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    This statement is incompatible with the faith based belief you claimed earlier.

OK. Show me the empirical evidence that Sibelius's Finlandia Suite is a beautiful
    piece of music.
    hardly, one can make an examination of the physical universe and draw inferences from it.

I am not too keen on Sibelius to be honest, who says its beautiful?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Maybe we are living in one of the futures that he is going to change? eg maybe he will stop the Canaanites from rebelling.
    one of the futures, what do you mean?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:23

Now this is one of the many problems I have with your beliefs...

This world/universe, and all the things in it, were not made for our
    benefit.
    The purpose of the worlds ecosystem is not to support us.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:33
    one of the futures, what do you mean?
    Maybe we are in a future that God is foreseeing and he will change it.

Or are you saying there is actually only one actual future and what God sees and can change are just possible futures? If so, then your original language was inexact (I am not saying you are wrong, just saying clarification is needed).

So when you say God can foresee the future and can change it, are you saying he knows all possible futures, and if so, does he know which one of them will come about? In other words, does he know what he is going to do, which will change the future into what it will really be. ie does he know his own future?

Is God the only entity that can affect the future? ie, if he sees something is going to happen, and takes counter measures, can something else affect the universe in such a way that the original event does not actually happen? Or is God the only influence on the universe?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:36
    errm, youve lost me. you seem to be just quoting me and then rewording my quote..with the addition of irrelevant stuff about food chains.
    .... taking your initial post in steps; confusion's worse than ignorance.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:42
    .... taking your initial post in steps; confusion's worse than ignorance.
    okay, sorry to interrupt. on with the step taking.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:57
    I am not too keen on Sibelius to be honest, who says its beautiful?
    Well I do.

My point being that whether or not Finlandia is a beautiful piece of music is
    not a subject one can provide evidence for.
    It's subjective, and not objective. It can't be empirically tested or measured.

Demonstrating that there are discussions that can't be based on empirical evidence.

Given that.

I contend that whether or not god has the RIGHT to rule, is a moral and ethical
    question that cannot be discussed empirically.

In the same way that I can't go and find empirical evidence of a RIGHT to life
    liberty and happiness. As those are abstract concepts
    I can't find evidence for or against god having a RIGHT to rule all of creation.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 17:41
    My point being that whether or not Finlandia is a beautiful piece of music is
    not a subject one can provide evidence for.
    It's subjective, and not objective. It can't be empirically tested or measured.
    I disagree.
    First of all, Finlandia is not a beautiful piece of music independent of a person with an opinion. In other words, it is not a property of the music but of the listeners appreciation for that music. (hence the word subjective).
    But this does not in any way mean that we cannot investigate why a specific person finds a specific piece of music beautiful, or even investigate why many people find particular pieces of music beautiful. There is nothing stopping us from empirically testing or measuring it other than the monetary expense or your lack of willingness to participate in the study.
    I think your error is to not realise what 'subjective' and 'objective' actually imply. You recognize that it is subjective yet still attribute the beauty as a property of the music then fail to find the property to be studied.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 19:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree.
    First of all, Finlandia is not a beautiful piece of music independent of a person with an opinion. In other words, it is not a property of the music but of the listeners appreciation for that music. (hence the word subjective).
    But this does not in any way mean that we cannot investigate why a specific person finds a specific piece of music ...[text shortened]... ll attribute the beauty as a property of the music then fail to find the property to be studied.
    Ok. lets deal with this in stages.

First of all, Finlandia is not a beautiful piece of music independent
    of a person with an opinion. In other words, it is not a property of the
    music but of the listeners appreciation for that music. (hence the word
    subjective).

Yes. I know this. It was in fact kind of my point.

People don't have rights outside of the minds of other intelligent beings.
    There is no such thing as a 'right' that you can go out and find.

Thus my example of a piece of music being beautiful or not, an attribute that
    you rightly say only exists inside peoples heads, is apt.

But this does not in any way mean that we cannot investigate why a specific
    person finds a specific piece of music beautiful, or even investigate why many people
    find particular pieces of music beautiful.

Indeed. But as I was attacking the notion of god having a right as an empirically
    testable thing, the equivalent here is talking about music as having beauty as an
    inherent empirical property of the music itself.

I think your error is to not realise what 'subjective' and 'objective' actually imply.
    You recognize that it is subjective yet still attribute the beauty as a property of the
    music then fail to find the property to be studied.

No, I know what subjective and objective mean.
    What I am trying to point out is that like beauty in music, rights accorded to other beings
    are accorded solely based on the views of other intelligent beings and do not have
    an objective existence outside of that.

I apologise if that wasn't clear.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 19:46
    I apologise if that wasn't clear.
    I guess I misunderstood you. But you did say:
    It can't be empirically tested or measured.

Which is clearly not the case. It can be empirically tested and measured. That is what I was objecting to.
    A piece of music's inherent beauty cannot be empirically measured or tested simply because it is incoherent, not because it is something that is beyond the domain of science.
    So I therefore disagree with your conclusion:
    Demonstrating that there are discussions that can't be based on empirical evidence.

There are discussions that are incoherent but I am pretty sure that that is not what you meant by that sentence.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 03:081 edit
    okay, sorry to interrupt. on with the step taking.
    "god has a bad track record with creation. three of his first key creations with freewill (adam, eve and satan)" -stellspalfie

"so from this we can figure out that when god creates a creature with free will he is effectively rolling the dice. he has no idea if they will come out good or bad." -stellspalfie

Roman Centurions rolled dice (cast lots) for Christ's Garments at the site of His crucifixion; Deity doesn't, because Omniscience knows (and knew in Eternity Past) all the knowable in human history down to its finite detail which includes the motives and contents of the minds of men. God's a gentleman, however, indisposed to interfering with human will. (tbc)
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 04:08
    ....... (tbc)
    There is a hell then!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree