Salvation without repentance?

Salvation without repentance?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
09 Aug 06

It seems to me that many Christians are confused regarding the matter of Salvation.

Is it possible to be saved if you do not repent?

C.H. Spurgeon once made the statement: "Brethren, we shall not adjust our Bible to the age, but the age to the Bible."

I recomend this article: http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Introduction/repent.htm

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
It seems to me that many Christians are confused regarding the matter of Salvation.

Is it possible to be saved if you do not repent?

C.H. Spurgeon once made the statement: "Brethren, we shall not adjust our Bible to the age, but the age to the Bible."

I recomend this article: http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Introduction/repent.htm
As 'repent' means to change one's mind, and as specifically, the issue in salvation is Jesus Christ, the issue of salvation is what one thinks of Him. Unfortunately, many Christians would rather emote their way into heaven instead of simply following the words of God. In so doing, they equate repentance with feeling sorry for their sins (or, absurdly) vowing to never sin again,

E

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
As 'repent' means to change one's mind, and as specifically, the issue in salvation is Jesus Christ, the issue of salvation is what one thinks of Him. Unfortunately, many Christians would rather emote their way into heaven instead of simply following the words of God. In so doing, they equate repentance with feeling sorry for their sins (or, absurdly) vowing to never sin again,
you know well everybody has done at least one sin and hasnt felt sorry for it

Moves
09 Aug 06

Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing.

But it is wonderful to have victory over sin in Christ.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
you know well everybody has done at least one sin and hasnt felt sorry for it
I don't see that as the issue. At issue is what God's view of repentance.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
09 Aug 06

Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing.

Victory over its power, yes. Victory over its permeating effect during this lifetime, never.

l

Moves
09 Aug 06

So you're saying that one is not supposed to feel bad about sinning? And what's wrong with trying NOT to sin again? From a Christian perspective, what you say sounds even more absurd than what you claim IS absurd.

E

Moves
09 Aug 06

I don't see that as the issue. At issue is what God's view of repentance.
maybe its OUR view of repentance.

Moves
09 Aug 06

As long as we realise that man's problem is a spiritual lostness and not a moral depravity, then the only hope for mankind is a change of heart. And only God is big enough to do that.

Moves
09 Aug 06
1 edit

[b]But it is wonderful to have victory over sin in Christ.
Victory over its power, yes. Victory over its permeating effect during this lifetime, never.[/b]
Indeed. The sting of death has been removed on the cross. The truck that was meant for us rode over Christ on Clavary. It is mearly it's shadow that goes over us in the form of death, which is the permeating effect of sin.

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by lioyank
So you're saying that one is not supposed to feel bad about sinning? And what's wrong with trying NOT to sin again? From a Christian perspective, what you say sounds even more absurd than what you claim IS absurd.
I believe that God is able to change your heart so that you no longer want to sin.

j

Moves
09 Aug 06

I believe that God is able to change your heart so that you no longer want to sin.
I agree. A person who has truly accepted Jesus Christ as personal Lord & Savior does not want to sin but as long as we have our earthly bodies we still have our old nature & will sin many times a day & will have to confess our sins daily in order to stay in close fellowship with God. We should repent of our sins but unfortunately will still sin & the only time when Christians will be sinless is when they receive their glorified resurrected bodies which will be perfect. We should try to avoid sin but we will still sin many times every day. Only God is perfect.

Moves
09 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by johnchp3
I agree. A person who has truly accepted Jesus Christ as personal Lord & Savior does not want to sin but as long as we have our earthly bodies we still have our old nature & will sin many times a day & will have to confess our sins daily in order to stay in close fellowship with God. We should repent of our sins but unfortunately will still sin & the only t ...[text shortened]... ect. We should try to avoid sin but we will still sin many times every day. Only God is perfect.
That said, we must keep in mind that for every temptation that comes our way, God has already provided a way for escape and thus we do not need to sin. We should strive for perfection, and holiness for God says without holiness no man shall see God. But if we do slip up accidentally, God says if we confess our sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 Corinthians 10:13 "here hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Hebrews 12:14 - Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

1 John 1: 9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

1 Peter 1:15, 16 "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
09 Aug 06
1 edit

dj2becker: "Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing."

Our resident RHP Rev Kirksey calls this "making the tent bigger" ...... It is necessary according to him. Right, Rev ?

Tell the folks a nice and attractive story instead of God's Truth. After that they will feel much better. Right Rev ?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
09 Aug 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
[b]dj2becker: "Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing."

Our resident RHP Rev Kirksey calls this "making the tent bigger" ...... It is necessary according to him. Right, Rev ?

Tell the folks a nice and attractive story instead of God's Truth. After that they will feel much better. Right Rev ?[/b]
"Having been brought up with the definition of faith as adherence to a set of beliefs, I have more and more begun to turn instead toward a definition of faith as an openness to truth, whatever truth turns out to be." Rev. Barbara Brown Taylor