1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 23:07
    More heresey from Barbara Brown Taylor. "A lot of bad preaching is terrified preachers, preachers terrified to speak from their hearts, terrified they'll lose their jobs."
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 23:44
    Would this be what Lucifer'sHammer refers to as the M.A.S.?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 00:13
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    It seems to me that many Christians are confused regarding the matter of Salvation.

Is it possible to be saved if you do not repent?

C.H. Spurgeon once made the statement: "Brethren, we shall not adjust our Bible to the age, but the age to the Bible."

I recomend this article: http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Introduction/repent.htm
    Good to see you back. Have you heard the fabulous news about your hero, Kent Hovind?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 00:43
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    [b]dj2becker: "Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing."

Our resident RHP Rev Kirksey calls this "making the tent bigger" ...... It is necessary according to him. Right, Rev ?

Tell the folks a nice and attractive story instead of God's Truth. After that they will feel much better. Right Rev ?[/b]
    "Consider the birds of the air, the lilies of the field....." That's a "nice and attractive story" I like.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 00:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 00:58

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 01:12

8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 01:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    As 'repent' means to change one's mind, and as specifically, the issue in salvation is Jesus Christ, the issue of salvation is what one thinks of Him. Unfortunately, many Christians would rather emote their way into heaven instead of simply following the words of God. In so doing, they equate repentance with feeling sorry for their sins (or, absurdly) vowing to never sin again,
    No, that's not what repent means.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 02:27
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    "Having been brought up with the definition of faith as adherence to a set of beliefs, I have more and more begun to turn instead toward a definition of faith as an openness to truth, whatever truth turns out to be." Rev. Barbara Brown Taylor
    ..... sounds very good, Kirk ..... but what exactly does it mean ?

It sounds to me this is an attitude in which you are not obliged to choose any basic truth at all, not even the existence of God. Correct ?

Do you think agnosts and atheist have a different attitude towards truth ?
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 02:491 edit
    More heresey from Barbara Brown Taylor. "A lot of bad preaching is terrified preachers, preachers terrified to speak from their hearts, terrified they'll lose their jobs."
    Sure, that's why you present a watered down version of the Gospel .... in fact from what I have been able to understand from the very few times you made the mistake of talking about your views, you don't preach the Gospel at all. It is indeed a watered down version of it .... no, it's not even that. It is simply another gospel ..... Kirk's gospel.

I vividly remember your comment on the story of the Young Rich Ruler.

Matthew
    Chapter 19

11 12 Now someone approached him and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?"
    He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. 13 If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
    14 He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, " 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;
    honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
    15 The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?"
    Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, 16 go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
    17 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.
    Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."
    18 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?"
    Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible."
    Then Peter said to him in reply, "We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?"
    19 Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
    And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life.
    20 But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.

Kirk: "..... a lot of bad preaching ..... terrified they'll lose their jobs ..... "

... faith is an openness to truth ...... sure.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 02:551 edit
    "Consider the birds of the air, the lilies of the field....." That's a "nice and attractive story" I like.
    Kirk, you can tell the truth and you can tell half the truth. You are telling half the truth. You are a perfect example of what Karl Marx meant when he claimed that "Religion is the opium of the people".

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/quotations/marx_opium_people.html
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 03:12
    About being "terrified of speaking from their hearts":

Ephesians
    Chapter 4

8 So I declare and testify in the Lord that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds;
    darkened in understanding, alienated from the life of God because of their ignorance, because of their hardness of heart,
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 04:47
    If a person has never heard the gospel lives & dies then goes to heaven would that not still be by the grace of God? I know that the bible does not speak on this but if God (Christ) paid for all sins for all times for all men then he could let anyone into heaven that he so choosed right?? Just wondering what most Christians take on this is. I know there will be some in heaven that most would think not and vise versa. Manny
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 07:06
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    [b]dj2becker: "Indeed. It is a pity that the gospel is watered down so much, to try and make it more appealing."

Our resident RHP Rev Kirksey calls this "making the tent bigger" ...... It is necessary according to him. Right, Rev ?

Tell the folks a nice and attractive story instead of God's Truth. After that they will feel much better. Right Rev ?[/b]
    So according to him we can have "Christian" gansters, and "Christian" prostitutes??

(As long as they have said the sinner's prayer?)

Interesting that the very first words of Christ, when he started his ministery, were "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand..."
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 07:34
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So according to him we can have "Christian" gansters, and "Christian" prostitutes??

(As long as they have said the sinner's prayer?)

Interesting that the very first words of Christ, when he started his ministery, were "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand..."
    if they really feel sorry, its not something you can take advantage of. you cant just say oh well god will forgive me and do w/e you want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree